Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Introducing Carausius's Gallery  (Read 31058 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Introducing Carausius's Gallery
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2020, 11:31:20 pm »
Great coin, excellent provenience.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Sextus Pompey "the Pious" added to my Roman Republican gallery
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2020, 11:06:49 pm »
I've added an attractive denarius of Sextus Pompey to my Forum Gallery.  Please have a look here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160019

Although exhibiting some wear, this is a particularly sympathetic, well-centered and complete example of this difficult type which often comes off-struck or on small flans.  Within a few days after acquiring the coin, I also uncovered an important prior auction provenance from 1952!  Enjoy.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2020, 12:07:18 am »
Very nice!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Owl Added to my Roman Republican Gallery
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2020, 11:10:23 am »
No, not one of THOSE owls - rather, an M. Cordius Rufus denarius of 46 BCE with perched owl.  It's a tough type to find well-centered and struck.  This coin is not perfect, but required minimal concessions.  Also, it has perfect surfaces and lovely toning.  I'll be working on finding an earlier provenance, which I'm hopeful will turn-up eventually.  You can find the coin here: 

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160061

But please wander my gallery and let me know if you have any thoughts/suggestions for improvememt.  I'm going to look into ways to sort the coins in Crawford order for a less random presentation.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2020, 02:48:28 pm »
A very nice coin.  I tried to put that one in my gallery myself....   Glad I got to have it in hand for a few minutes! 
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2020, 03:30:56 pm »
Sorry (not sorry).  ;)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
My Roman Republican gallery now in "Crawford order"
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2020, 12:55:12 am »
Quote from: Carausius on February 14, 2020, 11:10:23 am
I'm going to look into ways to sort the coins in Crawford order for a less random presentation.

Success!  Over the past few hours, I've revised the titles of my Forum Gallery coins so that most now sort in order of Crawford number (Michael Crawford's Roman Republican Coinage being the standard catalogue for the series). I think this should make the Gallery more useful as a research tool, and should facilitate finding particular coins.  Note that Crawford numbers ascended in chronological order; however, intervening scholarship since 1974 has supported some dating changes.  Thus, the gallery coins will not all appear in precise chronological order.  In the Second Punic War album, there are a few stragglers that won't sort for reasons I don't understand.  I'll try to fix those in the next few days, if possible.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2020, 01:11:21 am »
Impressive undertaking.  I did the same for my Flavians, sorting by RIC number. I had the same issue with some just not going in  order.  Turned out there was a space at the beginning of the title which made them not go where they should.  Once the space was  removed they fell into place.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2020, 05:32:00 am »
Firstly, Carausius, I am massively impressed by your Roman Imperatorial gallery

I recently got around to sorting my Greek coin galleries into some semblance of order, having discovered the sort options box.  Much better than my old as-input sequence, which produced a somewhat random jumble, with some alphabetical sequences.

TITLE          +   -
FILE NAME  +   -
DATE          +   -
POSITION   +   -

What I hear you and Jay GT4 saying is that you use the Title + as your default sort option rather than Position +.  Add a coin to a gallery with the right title (with no errant spaces), and it sorts all on its own.  Is that right? 

I'm going to launch my Roman collection online this year, and might like to 'borrow' your technique.  The Position proved to be quite a labor for large galleries, and that sort requires a re-index with every new addition.

With Crawford and RIC (and possibly RPC) as our guardrails, we can pretty much cover the gamut of Roman coinage. 

Anaximander

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2020, 07:26:41 am »
What I hear you and Jay GT4 saying is that you use the Title + as your default sort option rather than Position +.  Add a coin to a gallery with the right title (with no errant spaces), and it sorts all on its own.  Is that right? 

Yes, I moved Crawford references to the front of the title and then used Title+ to sort.  I found that I needed to eliminate any letters or "var" in my Crawford references to avoid confusing the sorting.  That was fine as that information is repeated in the body of my descriptions.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
A Rare Corn-Ear Quadrigatus
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2020, 02:39:11 pm »
I've added a rare Corn-Ear quadrigatus to my Gallery of Roman Republican Coins, my second of the type and a slight upgrade from my previous example.  This added coin is from the RBW Collection.

The Crawford 42 series of quadrigati is the rarest of all the quadrigati series. In his study of the 42 series quadrigati, Charles Hersh could only locate 33 examples of the type. Based on the corn-ear control symbol, the series was likely struck somewhere in Sicily, perhaps during Rome’s Second Punic War offensive against Syracuse, from 214-212 BCE. While Crawford puts this series last in order of his various quadrigati series, it is likely they were produced near the same time as the debased, lightweight quadrigati that ended the Crawford 28 series. The coins are generally of debased style and metal, thought their weight is good, and in this regard they are similar to Crawford 31 quadrigati. Stylistically, the series 42 quadrigati typically display well-defined, separated “J”-shaped sideburns, with horizontal hairs, on the Janiform head. Neck truncations range from open C curve (as on this example) to straight and V truncations. On the reverse, Jupiter's thunderbolt is entirely within the line border, angle of the horses is on the low-side, and ROMA is always in relief in a linear frame. The type usually has a corn-ear on the reverse beneath the quadriga; however, “anonymous” versions of this series, without corn-ears but stylistically identical to the corn-eared coins, are known.  

You can see both my examples of this rare type via the following links (first link is the new coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160191

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-147798

Enjoy!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2020, 03:22:34 pm »
Great addition, Michael...  +++

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Second Punic War Overstrike Added to my Gallery
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2020, 12:52:43 pm »
I've added to my Roman Republican Gallery an example of a Roman-over-Roman overstrike from the Second Punic War.  During the Second Punic War, the Romans often overstruck both non-Roman bronze coinage, when territory was re-taken, and older (heavier) Roman bronze coinage, when weight standards were reduced.  In this case I present a Crawford 41 Series, Post-Semilibral Sextans overstruck on a Crawford 38 Series, Semi-Libral Uncia. These are fun when identifiable, and are also important evidence for dating of the two series (the overstruck coin must post-date the undertype). You can find the coin here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160865

Enjoy!

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2020, 04:04:14 pm »
Nice overstrike and the clear notes are very informative.   Did you spot it yourself? 

I should take a re-look at my Cr 41 specimens, as your note points so clearly to that crest, which could look like a keel "wave" at a quick glance.  <Adds to to-do list>

Paul 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2020, 04:08:40 pm »
Thanks, PMah!  Yes, I spotted it myself.  The overstrike was not noted by the seller, but that is not unusual in instances where the undertype is somewhat hidden. 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2020, 10:49:41 pm »
Strong work spotting that.  I nearly went blind on Thursday night prepping the Sardinian praetors' overstrikes for my coin club's show and tell.

Paul 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Quinque Quinarii
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2020, 05:24:33 pm »
I hope the extended Forum family is staying safe and healthy.  While sheltering-in-place, I have added a group of five AR quinarii from several eras to my Roman Republican gallery, including several with great provenances.  The new coins can be found at the top of the "Last additions" section of my gallery home page (link in the footer of this post).  Enjoy!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Old Provenance Caldus Denarius
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2020, 01:39:03 pm »
Sheltering-in-place is a good time to browse the Forum Galleries!  I've recently added to my Roman Republican Gallery a C. Caldus AR Denarius with a near 100 year old provenance.  This complex type has beguiled researchers for generations.  The new Caldus denarius can be found here:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-161957.  My entire gallery can be found at the link in the bottom of this post.

Enjoy! 

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2020, 11:49:54 am »
Wow, great addition... +++

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
A new pair of desultor denarii
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2020, 11:52:08 am »
I’ve recently added two coins featuring desultors to my Roman Republican Gallery.  These are in addition to a third coin that has been in the Gallery for a while.  The three coins can be found here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-163453

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-163220

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-145227

Desultors were equestrian acrobats who thrilled crowds by controlling two horses and leaping from one horse to another at full gallop.  This acrobatic riding was not necessarily the work of professionals, as Suetonius reported that young men “of the highest rank” engaged in the practice during the games of Julius Caesar’s triumphal celebrations (Suet. Deified Julius XXXIX).  The practice, with four horses, is referenced in the Illiad (II.15.680), so likely dates to Homeric times or earlier.  The practice perhaps has origins in Minoan bull leaping and similar acrobatics with animals.  Livy references that Numidian cavalry took two horses apiece and, like circus performers, jumped fully armed from a weary mount to a fresh one (Liv xxiii 29).  A Roman desultor, as depicted on Roman Republican coins, rode two horses, bare-back, which he managed by reins and whip, and he wore a pileus (felt cap) typically associated with the Dioscuri. The pileus raises the possibility that the practice had religious connotations rather than a mere circus trick.  The Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux, were half-brother, paternal twins of Leda, Jupiter and the King of Sparta, and were often depicted wearing felt pilei and riding horses.  They had a strong following in Rome, with a temple consecrated to them in the Roman Forum in 484 BCE by A. Postumius after his victory in the Battle of Lake Regillus, in which Castor and Pollux reportedly guided the Romans to victory over the Latins.  Due to their mixed parentage, Pollux was immortal and Castor was mortal.  Following the death of Castor, the twins shared Pollux’s immortality by swapping places each day between Hades and Mount Olympus.  The desultor, wearing a Dioscurus’ cap and riding two horses, likely represents either one of the twins with their two horses.  Despite the representative link to the Dioscuri, the desultor’s appearance on a coin type is typically an allusion to games.  Desultors appear on several Republican coin types, including Crawford 297/1, 346/1, 480/21 and 480/22.    

Enjoy!

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2020, 01:15:34 pm »
Great coins and an outstanding write-up. I have learned a few things from you today, and that's always a good day.

Tracy

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2020, 12:39:31 pm »
Several recent acquisitions were added to my Roman Republican gallery last night, including two Octavians with good provenances and a few good quality 2nd century BCE coins.  Gallery link is below.  I have more to add, so please visit from time to time.  Enjoy!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2020, 03:25:03 am »
Hi, Michael, 😉

So many nice and interesting coins 👍

Regards

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2020, 12:05:13 pm »
Thank you, Joe!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Two plate coins in my Roman Republican gallery
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2020, 03:37:15 pm »
I learned today that two of my Roman Republican Gallery coins are plate coins in some excellent books.

The first is in R. Göbl, Antike Numismatik, pl. 1420 and can be seen in my Forum Gallery here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-159917. This coin has an excellent provenance from several important sales.

The second coin is so nice that they plated it twice in G. Lahusen, Die Bildnismünzen Der Römischen Republik, pl. 63, nos. 12 and 16, and can be seen in my Forum Gallery here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-156022. This coin also has a good provenance to 1938.

There are several more plate coins in my gallery that I already knew about, including Sear HCRI, Sear RCV vol 1, Alföldi Caesar in 44 BC, and others. Enjoy!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity