Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla Silver Denarius (identical to coin previously sold)  (Read 502 times)

John A

As I mentioned in my previous topic, I am brand new to the hobby... and I have quickly learned that I am not yet knowledgeable enough to be making purchases on Ebay.
(Now I have chosen to look towards more reputable sources to begin with, the auctions on this forum for example)

During this process, I have come across another suspicious Ebay seller.

After looking at just a few of his sold listings from the last month or two, I have found 3 coins that are identical to coins that he currently has for sale.

I suppose it's possible that the previous winning bidders didn't pay and the coins were re-listed, but I have found 3 recent examples after just a few minutes of searching.

Perhaps some experienced members can take a look at this example and make a determination.
Is the coin itself suspicious?

The seller is not on any of the fake lists that I am aware of.

I have provided pictures of one example (one set of pictures is from a "sold" listing that is a few months old, and one is currently for sale).

Listed as:

CARACALLA 215 AD Roman Silver Denarius
Obverse legend: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM (laureate head right)
Reverse legend: P M TR P XVIII COS IIII P P (Pax standing half-left, holding branch and scepter)
RIC 268 ; RSC 3147; BMC 147(k52)

8.1 mm
2.55 g

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Caracalla Silver Denarius (identical to coin previously sold)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 04:36:19 pm »
Looks like different images of the same coin.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Caracalla Silver Denarius (identical to coin previously sold)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:24:15 pm »
Definitely the same coin.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity