Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My New Website - Ancient Whitesheet!!  (Read 6706 times)

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
My New Website - Ancient Whitesheet!!
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:30:45 pm »
I wanted to make a very simple and plain website so that the workload is less as well as being easy to maintain and expand. I've also been using it as a tool to learn myself as I add coins to the gallery with a appendix that has pronoun name terms from the ancient world. The site has pretty easy navigation and shortcut links to cut down scrolling on longer pages.

What we have right now is a ancient coin photo gallery from the coins that I own, a links page and a topic page. The problem with topics is that almost everything has been done. So, it's very difficult to come up with anything new and original. If you guys have ideas that I could manage on a low budget, I'm listening!

The main purpose I want with the site is to eventually be helpful to people or just something to read or do concerning ancient coins. This is also how I collect coins as well and as far as the topics are concerned, I'm sharing some of my knowledge I learned as well as my opinions. Of course I could be wrong about some things, that's why I also want and accept advice often but not always.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ancientwhitesheet/index.html

The site is hosted here and I'm glad that Joe allowed me to upload my site. This host is very fast and responsive and I have had no problems so far which is great. I created the site from scratch, on Notepad and HTML reference charts which is all I need.

Remember that sites are always on construction and I am changing stuff that I need to but I am over-all going to stick to the plain white look because it's easy to maintain.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: My New Website - Ancient Whitesheet!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:08:31 pm »
Looks good, some day i'll try the same

All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 02:38:03 am »
Hi Gil-galad,

Congratulations on your new website.

Every collector has something to share.

For instance, until visiting your website I had no idea you could use pressured air to assist in removing dirt from uncleaned coins!

Peter

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:23:46 am »
Thanks for the kind words, my friend.

Using high airflow and air pressure to clean coins is a new one to me too. I know everything has been tried and when I asked a lot of people about it, no one ever heard of it before.

I've had some good results with using this blower to clean coins and no it is not a miracle cleaner, nothing is but yes, it really is a good tool to assist in cleaning.

I originally came up with the idea when I was using spray air cans to clean a coin but it has a lot of chemicals and moisture as well as putting a layer of frost on a coin so it wasn't going to work. I went looking around for air compressors and eventually changed plans to getting this blower instead. I was also thinking about a vacuum but it doesn't have enough power to move the dirt off of the coin like blowing does.

I do not know anyone that has tried this method I'm using. Soon I'm going to be adding photos of coins I cleaned. I'm getting my website more functional first before working on those topics.

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:16:25 am »
While I'm waiting for my FTP issues to be resolved, I made some snapshot images of current progress of a tool I made to help in attributing coins to make it easier for myself. Now I've decided to add it to my website, Ancient Whitesheet. It's called "Ancient Coin Visual Keyboard".

The first image ac-vb-greek-latin has nearly a full but not quite modern alphabet sets Greek and Latin, upper and lowercase. Also there are two sets of punctuation, one for coins and attributions and the last to assist in visually reading a ancient coin book and using the visual keyboard at the same time, allowing for easy translation online or by other methods, or copying and pasting into a text document. A alphabet style keyboard layout is used instead of a keyboard layout.

This tool is also useful to beginning ancient coin collectors as a trainer to get used to reading ancient coin letters, numbers and symbols. That there are two font sets, Greek and Latin at once makes it easier to read coins on the fly, hopefully it works on a cell phone.

Also, you can copy and paste into another document, Facebook to your friends, on a ancient coin forum site like here. There is a window that pops up and tells you if the copy worked and what the characters are.

Additional font sets are these next following images.

ac-vb-phoenician-greek-latin

This one is a three font set, Phoenician, Greek and Latin for several coin types that it's useful for. Only uppercase has been included. Phoenician is a right to left sentence direction, Greek and Latin are both left to right sentence direction. Mixing the two types can be glitchy and problematic but can be managed by moving the cursor inside of the text field. Like the Greek and Latin keyboard, you can copy and paste as well.

ac-vb-russian-greek-latin

This is also a three font set keyboard like the previous one. It's useful for Russian coins, like the wire coins which is what I made it for, once I purchase some of those coins in the future. There are many Russian coins that I like so I will use it for those as well.

I am also working on a Armenian-Latin keyboard, Arabic-Latin keyboard which will be included later on.

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 04:55:37 pm »
I just finished my Arabic-Latin-Greek keyboard for the first version. Here is a image preview.

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 03:13:01 am »
I was able to upload my visual keyboard to my site, Ancient Whitesheet. I've also added three new keyboards and they are Aramaic, Syriac and Kharosthi. There are a few bugs and issues, that's to be expected since some of these alphabets have never been used in this way before that I know of.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ancientwhitesheet/AC-VK-Greek-Latin.html    - All keyboards can be accessed at the bottom of each page.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 05:02:34 am »
Very useful tool.  +++

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 11:28:03 am »
Today, your link gives me this message:

Service Unavailable
HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 02:50:31 pm »
Yes, we know about this issue. Forum Ancient Coins and all the hosted sites like me are having the same issue because of a recent server move. Eventually, it will be fixed or go away, either way. Just try again a few minutes later. That's what I do.

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 02:35:21 pm »
I have more work and research to do, this is my latest section. It's Old Italic which can handle Etruscan, Oscan, Lugano, Old Latin and a few others.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ancientwhitesheet/AC-VK-Greek-Latin.html

I made these keyboards to help me learn and display ancient extinct languages. When I started, the only well supported scripts were Latin, Greek and Arabic. Now there are over 10. Greek has also been expanded to support the Greek Alphabet, lower and upper case. Greek Alphabet numbers are also here for those that have been wanting a easier way to use Greek numbers on Greek and Provincial coinage. Also very useful for workshop numbers on Tetrarchy, Constantinian and later Roman coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity