Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aethelred II COTD  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Aethelred II COTD
« on: December 20, 2017, 10:14:16 pm »
It is not often that Medieval coins are shown here as "Coin of the Day."

Below is a penny of Aethelred II I recently acquired and posted in my British Gallery.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4762

Penny, 979-985, First Hand type, York mint.
Obverse: +ÆÐELRED REX ANGLOX / Diademed bust of Aethelred, right.
Reverse: +ZTYR M-O EOFER / Hand of Christ between A and ω .
Moneyer: Ztyr.
1.42 gm., 21 mm.
North #766; Seaby #1144.

The moneyer Ztyr is not listed as being a moneyer for Aethelred's First Hand type from York. However, there is a moneyer named Styr at York who coined for Edward the Martyr, 975-978. Ztyr is probably the same man.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Re: Aethelred II COTD
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:06:44 pm »
Thanks for sharing,

I know nothing about medieval coins but from what I have seen yours looks like a great example.

What drove those odd, yet charming, portraits?
Was it a function of skill shortages or demands on mints, or did they serve some purpose? If I were King I would have insisted they spent the time to get my portrait right. Perhaps he was less vain...

Peter

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 02:09:45 am »
Very nice

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:31:15 am »
Great coin Callimachus   :)

Congratulation  ;) +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:02:45 pm »
Beautiful specimen!

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:01:48 am »
What drove those odd, yet charming, portraits?
Was it a function of skill shortages or demands on mints, or did they serve some purpose? If I were King I would have insisted they spent the time to get my portrait right. Perhaps he was less vain...

Peter, I have no doubt that the skill set of the die engravers would not have permitted them to create the kind of portraiture that we encounter on classic ancient Greek or Roman coins. But in later centuries the Roman portraiture declined, and the portrait on this coin can hold its own with many coins minted during some of the lower points in Roman coinage history.

That being said, it is my understanding that the medieval die engravers were not aspiring to create an actual portrait of an individual king, but rather to depict the idea of kingship in a more abstract manner.

Stkp

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 04:43:38 pm »
WOW, a superb coin!

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 07:54:28 pm »
Quote from Stkp: “ . . .  I have no doubt that the skill set of the die engravers would not have permitted them to create the kind of portraiture that we encounter on classic ancient Greek or Roman coins. But in later centuries the Roman portraiture declined, and the portrait on this coin can hold its own with many coins minted during some of the lower points in Roman coinage history.”

The above quote by Stkp is interesting, and I decided to expand on it a bit.

Below, I posted a composite picture of ten Anglo-Saxon coin in my gallery. The first was issued about 866-874, and the last in 1066 – so they are from the last two centuries of Anglo-Saxon England.

Top Row: Burgred, Alfred the Great, Edward the Martyr, Aethelred II, and Aethelred II.
Bottom Row: Cnut, Harold I, Harthacnut, Edward the Confessor, Harold II.

I believe these Anglo-Saxon portraits were based on those from Roman coins of the late third century to the mid fourth century. There are a number of elements of Roman coin portraiture in these portraits, and I do not think their appearance is accidental:

1. These Anglo-Saxon portraits are profile busts seen from the side, not full-face portraits seen from the front. This was standard on Roman coins. After the coming of the Normans (1066), though, full-face portraits gradually became more common. Henry II was the first to use only full-face portraits on his coinage (1154), and it was the full-face portrait of Edward I (1279) that was used as a generic portrait of the king until the early 1500s.

2. Four of these coins show the king wearing a diadem. The diadems of Burgred and Alfred resemble the diadems with a large jewel at the top of the forehead seen on Roman coins of the sons of Constantine – except here there is a crescent at the top instead of a jewel. The portrait of Edward the Martyr and the first Aethelred portrait show the tie-ends of the diadem (with ornamental balls on the end) behind the king’s head. Even Harold II has these coming out from underneath his crown. Again, these tie-ends of the diadem are standard on the coinage of the sons of Constantine.

3. Cnut is shown helmeted. Cnut, Harold I, and Harthacnut show what is probably military armor on their shoulders (cuirassed in RIC terminology). Harold I has a shield in addition to his armor. It is well known that Probus, Constantine, and Crispus are shown on Roman coins as being helmeted, cuirassed, and sometimes holding a shield.

4. Several of these portraits – Edward the Martyr, both Aethelred portraits, and Edward the Confessor – show the king wearing a toga (draped, in RIC terminology), the clasp being clearly visible along the neckline. This, too, is often seen on Roman coins of the third and fourth centuries.

5. Five of these portraits show a scepter in front of the king’s face. Some Roman coins show a “consular bust” of the emperor. These “consular bust” coins often show him holding a scepter that appears in front of his face.

Although the Anglo-Saxons were certainly aware of the Roman Empire, I’m not sure they understood the significance some of these portrait elements – for example, the toga and the ornamented tie-ends of the diadem. However, it is the adaptation of Roman coin portraiture elements to their own coinage 500 years later that produced, in the words of peterpil19 (above), “those odd, yet charming portraits.”

Click on picture below to enlarge it.

For larger pictures, the reverses of these coins, and coins with later portraits, please see my gallery:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4762

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:21:01 pm »
That was a great analysis. And a wonderful group of coins! Stkp

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 09:31:37 pm »
Agreed. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

I had not noticed the similarities to the busts on late roman coinage until your post above.

Peter

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 01:34:14 am »
That was a great analysis. And a wonderful group of coins! Stkp

+1  +++
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:48:08 am »
I wonder if the headdress on Harthacnut (bottom row, middle coin) could be a Viking interpretation of the radiate crown found on Roman antoniniani?

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 12:31:00 pm »
Yes, a lovely group of coins.

There is precedent  for Anglo-Saxon coins copying Roman ones. The so-called "Standard" series of silver sceattas from c. 600-775 copy a Constantinian coin with a legionary standard and two captives, like the one below. The crude bust on the obverse could be seen as wearing a radiate crown.

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity