Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Larissa Drachm of the Day  (Read 2073 times)

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Larissa Drachm of the Day
« on: December 13, 2017, 06:11:39 pm »
Dear All,

I am pleased to present this recent addition to my collection.
The obverse style is particularly expressive. Although the coin has granular surfaces, this enhances the coins appearance - to my eye at least. Larissa looks very lifelike. I am particularly happy with the photo.

I have been unable to find a die match to the obverse. I have very carefully studied the plates of all the Lorber publications I could get my hands on. Distinct from most others, the 'horn-like' hair spirals at the top reach out sideways and are almost horizontal. Also, the curl of hair on the right hand side touches the necklace.

The reverse is unusual in that one of the horses legs crosses over the 'ground line'. I could not find another example like this. I assume it is a die fault.

The dating is taken from commentary in the Lorber Hoard publication. Other references have different dating for the series to which this coin belongs.

I note that the Lorber-Shahur website does not appear to be working properly (database connection error) so was unable to check there for die matches.

Peter

Thessaly, Larissa; AR Drachm; Silver; struck circa 356-342 BC; Obverse: Head of the nymph Larissa three-quarter, facing left, wearing plain necklace, earring in right ear, her hair confined by an ampyx and floating loosely; all within dotted border / Reverse: ΛAPIΣ/AIΩN, Horse standing right, its forefoot raised, preparing to lie down; 20.49mm, 5.90 g, 10h; from the BCD Collection; References: Lorber Hoard, Phase L-III, 38–60; BCD Thessaly II 316-319; Herrmann Group VII-A; SNG Copenhagen 121; SNG Alpha Bank 95-97; BMC Thessaly [Larissa] pp. 29-30, 57-60; HGC 4, 454 corr. (illustration for 453 and 454 switched); SGCV I 2120

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
Re: Larissa Drachm of the Day
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:54:40 pm »
Hi Peter,
Expressive is an understatement! The eyes are amazing!
Congrats!
-EB

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:39:26 pm »
Thanks EB,

I can certainly relate to why BCD had a certain fascination with these coins. Unfortunately I have neither his resources, (presumably) time, and indeed patience, to build as extensive a collection as he, but I do hope to add similar examples to my collection in future.

Peter

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 01:10:06 am »
A beautiful coin Peter. Indeed, to my mind this type is among the most beautiful coins ever struck, from ANY period.
There are many interpretations of this design, and quite frankly some Larissas look like they've gone 10 rounds with the champ. It took me a long time to finally land on my specimen, and I think it is very similar to yours. A lovely nymph, at once delicate but strong. And those haunting eyes really reach inside you!
Congratulations man, well chosen.

- Peter

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 01:30:37 am »
I agree, Great specimen,

Beautiful avers, ...lovely nymph...etc.. :) ;) +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 02:35:52 am »
Thank you Peter and Q.

Thanks go to the die-engraver, whoever that person was. I wonder whether the portrait was inspired by a real person.

Peter

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 03:19:43 am »
Perhaps, but it definitely resembles Kimon's portrayal of the nymph Arethusa, from Syracuse.
There is also an extremely similar portrait, although facing 3/4 right and quite rare, of the goddess  Hekate from a polis just down river from Larissa, although I can't remember that city's name at the moment.

- Peter

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 08:51:23 am »
Nice!! ... Peter, congrats on adding that stunning OP-winner! (it's gorgeous)

+++

I have far more humble examples from Larissa (coins from Larissa are among my favourites)

I don't have a nice big AR drachm like your OP-gem => but here are a few of my favourite Larissa horse-examples (I hope that I'm not cramping your style by posting my sweeties? ... that's why I buy 'em ... to show 'em off!!)

Ahaha, my AR hemidrachm looks like the loser of a fight compared to your OP winner (sweet eyes on your coin ... my coin's eye looks like it needs to be cut by the corner-trainer?)

;)

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 10:27:49 am »
Great facing portrait Peter (peterpil19).

There is also an extremely similar portrait, although facing 3/4 right and quite rare, of the goddess  Hekate from a polis just down river from Larissa, although I can't remember that city's name at the moment.

Peter (Enodia), I think the city is Pherai. Is that right?

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 12:27:46 pm »
It may be. Pherai certainly venerated Hekate on their coins.
I'm thinking it was a smaller city, but now I will have to check and see for sure.

- Peter

Edit;
Walter was correct, the coin I was thinking of is from Pherai.  The portrait is very similar, but without the 'floating' hair typical of the water nymph Larissa.
When I get to work I'll try to post an image.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
Thanks Peter and Walter,

I was aware previously of the link to the Arethusa but was not familiar with the coinage of Pherai. Thanks, I will take a look!

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity