Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Elayi et Elayi  (Read 3111 times)

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Elayi et Elayi
« on: November 23, 2017, 05:11:30 pm »
In Elayi et Elayi's 1997 compendium of Phoenician weights many of the weights are listed with no specific reference except for "reference interdite" i.e, "reference restricted", which makes further research into these particular weights impossible.

Why is this?

There may be some explanation in the text somewhere, but since it's in French it would take me a long time to find it. Perhaps some reader has some inside knowledge here.

Ross G.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Elayi et Elayi
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:03:39 am »
(Revised).

The authors say (p.46) that they have been given access to the weights marked "reference inedite" (which are from various unnamed sources), but that publication rights have been granted to "our colleague P. Bordreuil", who has "forbidden all reference to the objects".
Nonetheless, despite this blanket ban we still get at least the basic information on the weights, namely their actual weight and weight marking. But no pictures or detailed description.

Ross G.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 01:26:45 am »
As a bonus here is Elayi & Elayi 309, a Phoenician mina (from Aradus according to Finkielsztejn) in lead of 50 Syrian/Ugarit shekels (= Egyptian qedets) in the Louvre Museum, weight 455.70 gm.

Ross G.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:48:30 am »
Ohh, Great piece... +++

Thank you for sharing.

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:02:10 am »
I agree with Q, a wonderful and intriguing piece.

I suspect Finkielsztejn is correct, more than likely Arados or it´s territories (peraia).

Martin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity