Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antinous, Companion of Hadrian on auction  (Read 1773 times)

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Antinous, Companion of Hadrian on auction
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:29:53 pm »
Antinous, Companion of Hadrian (died AD 130)

AE Medallion, 18.09 g, Corinth.
Draped bust of Antinous right / two tiered temple. Blum. P.36; Coll. Weber 1490; coll. BCV 650. XF/VF a very attractive portrait with partial original patina! RR! 471/LGN

seems modern
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: Antinous, Companion of Hadrian on auction
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 01:29:48 pm »
This one is on ACSearch. Die and flan match. I can't read the description. Can't tell but it sounds like it's not ancient.

Kölner Münzkabinett Tyll Kroha Nachfolger UG
http://www.koelner-muenzkabinett.de/

Description
Antinoos, Favorit des Hadrian, gest. 130 n. Chr.
AE-Medaillon (Korinthos) Hostilios Markellos, Hiereus tu Antinou, Vs.: Büste des Antinoos mit Chlamys n. r., Rs.: Tempelfassade mit üppigem Figurenschmuck, unten Feuer speiendes (!) Krokodil n. r. BCD 650; RPC F 268. 37.28 g. scharfer früher Guss, vz
Der Künstler des 17. Jhs. kopierte eine Vs. der Medaillon-Emission des Antinoos-Priesters Hostilius Marcellus, die dieser den Korinthern gestiftet hatte (RPC 260-264). Aus der ursprünglichen Umschrift wurde die vorliegende verballhornte Version. Das fantastische Bauwerk der Rs. ziert die Umschrift "Hadrianus erbaute (ihn)". Der Schöpfer des Bildes hat sicher die Medaille des Monogrammisten C.H.C. mit der Fassade und dem Sakramentsaltar von San Giovanni in Laterano aus dem achten Jahr von Papst Clemens VIII. auf das Heilige Jahr 1600 gesehen (I. Weber (Neuzeit), Bauten Roms auf Münzen und Medaillen, München 1973, 194, 314).

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:41:57 pm »
Probably a fairly modern copy of a 17th century medallion. The reverse depicts the façade and the sacramental altar of San Giovanni in Laterano dating from the eighth year of Pope Clement VIII c.1600.

Alex

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 01:46:11 pm »
Probably a fairly modern copy of a 17th century medallion. The reverse depicts the façade and the sacramental altar of San Giovanni in Laterano dating from the eighth year of Pope Clement VIII c.1600.

Alex

Indeed,
http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/268/
All the Best,
Eric

Offline Cliff

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 08:40:10 am »
G.Blum in his article on Antinous on page 36 under B letter reports this type amongst the fake types for Corinth developed during XVI century onwards on the base of a rare type (listed on G.Blum page 35, n.1) with the obverse with Hostilius Marcellus legend that has then been used as model for forgeries with fantasy reverse types as this one.

This is then probably a XVI century or later production. Due to the fact that this has just been erroneously sold in an Swiss auction as authentic ancient Antinous medallion for 2500 Eur, I think that it is very important in this case to add it to the fake database.

What do you think?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 12:04:18 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Edward U

• Auxiliary
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 02:33:18 am »
I owned this coin until about 2 years ago.  I had a reputable US dealer examine/bid on it at an european auction for it about 10 years ago.

I had avidly collected antinous among other things and one day was paging through RPC online curious what ever happened with their evaluation of my collection and particularly a few specimens they had indicated were of particular interest.    You will note that  this type is condemed there.  In my review of antinous coins in RPC online i found 5 of my coins either outright condemned or somewhat indirectly questioned.  Of the 5 this was the only one I returned and ultimately got a refund.  I believe the coin ultimately went back to the european dealer but cannot be certain.  While this coin is fake according to several dealers and RPC-  i personally have not completely written off the style of the reverse as I have it on another condemned specimen of the 5 I mentioned which I happily retain as it  likely contains the first example of this reverse on an antinous and was first catalogued long long ago. 

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 02:25:39 pm »
Dear Edward,

welcome to this board, i hope you will post some of your coins
All the Best,
Eric

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 03:14:04 pm »
Alex

If the reverse does depict the facade of San Giovanni in Laterano, it seems it must be modern; but it does not look much like today's San Giovanni. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 06:05:12 pm »

Alex

I cannot find now where I read that. If I am mistaken I duly apologize for the error and for misleading anyone.  :-[

Alex.

Offline Cliff

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 10:07:25 am »

Alex

I cannot find now where I read that. If I am mistaken I duly apologize for the error and for misleading anyone.  :-[

Alex.

It's I. Weber (Neuzeit), Bauten Roms auf Münzen und Medaillen, München 1973, 194, 314 who says that.
And I agree for what it counts, it doesn't seems an ancient roman building to me.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity