Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Crassus and Amazon Denarius: Some Research  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Blindado

• Consul
My Crassus and Amazon Denarius: Some Research
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:31:26 pm »
I purchased this denarius some than ten years ago and finally got around to doing some research.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-18873

Denarius, minted by son, P Licinius Crassus, ca 54 BC.
Bust of Venus, right, SC behind
Amazon with horse, P CRASSVS MF
Seaby, Licinia 18

There has been significant archeological progress and related historical work on the amazons in the last ten years. Hundreds of gravesite prove that they were Scythian women who were warriors fully equal to the men. A fascinating book on the subject is Adrenne Mayor's book The Amazons: Lives and Legends of Warrior Women across the Ancient World (https://www.amazon.com/Amazons-Legends-Warrior-across-Ancient/dp/0691147205/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1505949407&sr=8-1&dpID=51qXILGy8kL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=detail).

The coin was probably minted to pay the army of Marcus Licinius Crassus--member of the First Triumvirate--for his invasion of Parthia. Crassus, of course, won a dubious place in history by leading his army to destruction in the famous battle of Carrhae in Parthia in 53, during which he died.

Judging fro acsearch, numismatists sometimes describe the figure on the reverse as a presumed male warrior, and other times as a "female figure." I go with amazon.

Parthian armies are certainly not my area of military history, but I found this interesting tidbit:

"In about 66 BCE, during the Third Mithradatic War, Pompey’s Roman army pursued King Mithradates VI after a crushing defeat in Pontus to the southern foothills of the Caucasus in ancient Colchis. In Caucasian Albania and Iberia, Pompey’s soldiers fought battles against an aggressive coalition of tribes, numbering about 60,000, allied with Mithradates. Plutarch (Pompey 35 and 45) and Appian (Mithradatic Wars 12.15-17) reported that “Amazons” fought alongside the male warriors. Pompey’s soldiers discovered warrior women among the dead with wounds showing they had fought courageously. Pompey even captured some of these women alive. In his magnificent triumph of 61 BCE, Pompey paraded his most illustrious prisoners of war, including a group of Amazons from the southern Caucasus, labeled “queens of the Scythians.” Notably, the Greek-Persian king Mithradates had fallen in love with Hypsicratea, a horsewoman archer of an unknown Scythian tribe of the Caucasus region. She had joined his cavalry in about 69 BCE. He praised her courage and battle skills, and she became his last queen, as confirmed by the discovery of a statue base inscribed with her name near ancient Phanagoria, Taman Peninsula (Mayor, pp. 340-45, 349-53)." (http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/amazons-ii)

The actual quotes from Plutarch's Life of Pompey are:

35: In this battle it is said that there were also Amazons fighting on the side of the Barbarians, and that they came down from the mountains about the river Thermodon. For when the Romans were despoiling the Barbarians after the battle, they came upon Amazonian shields and buskins; but no body of a woman was seen. The Amazons inhabit the parts of the Caucasus mountains that reach down to the Hyrcanian Sea, and they do not border on the Albani, but Gelae and Leges dwell between. With these peoples, who meet them by the river Thermodon, they consort for two months every year; then they go away and live by themselves.

45: His triumph had such a magnitude that, although it was distributed over two days, still the time would not suffice, but much of what had been prepared could not find a place in the spectacle, enough to dignify and adorn another triumphal procession. . . . The captives led in triumph, besides the chief pirates, were the son of Tigranes the Armenian with his wife and daughter, Zosime, a wife of King Tigranes himself, Aristobulus, king of the Jews, a sister and five children of Mithridates, Scythian women, and hostages given by the Iberians, by the Albanians, and by the king of Commagene; there were also very many trophies, equal in number to all the battles in which Pompey had been victorious either in person or in the persons of his lieutenants. (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/…/…/plutarch/lives/pompey*.html)

I could not find a specific reference to amazons in Appian's history beyond the participation of Scythians.

I have no idea how well sourced this is, but Historical Women: Powerful Women of Persia (http://www.persepolis.nu), asserts that Parthia had an extensive history of women as military leaders and soldiers.

As to the coin, it represents a depiction of a female cavalry soldier engraved only ten years after Pompey's forces fought amazons, and I think it is reasonable to conclude that it represents a fairly accurate depiction. It certainly resembles the reconstruction of a Scythian woman in battle here: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/516928863449959236/

Our engraver may have intended his reverse to show the troops something that they could expect to face during the campaign. Whatever the intention, I am pleased to own a contemporary depiction of an amazon.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: My Crassus and Amazon Denarius: Some Research
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:40:42 am »
Thank you for sharing your story and coin regarding this issue. Very interesting. Remember watching the movie Spartacus and loved watching Sir Laurence Olivier character of Crassus. Your coin is very attractive and historical.
The rendition of the horse is very lively and full of action, love the style!
Its a keeper!

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:11:23 am »
Here is a better link to images of female warriors among the Scythians: https://www.pinterest.com/arwendeluhtiene/the-amazons-female-warriors-among-the-scythianssar/?lp=true

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Crassus Denarius with Amazon Reverse: Additional Research Part 1
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 12:35:49 pm »
I consulted at www.acsearch.com the photographs of 90 coins from the same issue to construct a composite picture of the amazon on the reverse using details that remain intact on some coins but have worn away on others. There were multiple dies, but they varied little on details.  One die portrayed a hefty figure that looked more manlike than the majority of dies; there was one variant in the construction of the skirt; and variations in the presentation of an object on the ground to the left of the amazon from the viewers perspective.
My synthesis revealed a female warrior wearing a soft felt Scythian cap with ear flaps (not the high pointed type); a fabric garment with a skirt to the knees; probably trousers; an ornate war belt; a baldric (which would typically hold a quiver on the left hip, which appears teasingly on two dies); a decorated skirt; a cape, animal skin, or shoulder cord on attached to the left shoulder; and decorated calf-high boots. She matches the historically confirmed garb of the real amazons—Scythian horsewomen—and of course holds her steed. The horse’s tack is consistent with archeological discoveries of tack in use by Scythians and Romans.
Adrienne Mayor writes that amazon imagery on Greek vases suddenly appeared in 575-550 BC, initially depicting them in Greek-style armor. By the end of the century, as the Greeks learned more through direct and indirect contact with Scythians, they began to appear wearing archeologically confirmed Scythian-Sarmatian-Thracian patterned attire. (Adrienne Mayor, The Amazons: Lives and Legends of Warrior Women Across the Ancient World, Princeton, Princeton University Press, 2014, 199-200).  To this, artists added their own creative ideas regarding colors, fabric patterns, and decorations. “They dressed the warrior women in body-hugging ‘unitards’ or tunics, short chitons or belted dresses, sometimes over leggings or trousers. . . .  In paintings and sculpture, pointed or soft Scythian caps with earflaps or ties (kidaris) soon replaced the Greek helmets, and the women wear a variety of belts, baldrics (diagonal straps), corselets, shoulder cords or bands, and crisscrossing leather straps attached to belt loops like those worn by the archer huntress Artemis. . . .  Amazon footgear included soft leather moccasin-like shoes, calf-high boots (endromides), or taller laced boots (embades) with scallops or flaps and lined with felt or fur.” (Mayor, 202)
The artists apparently had detailed knowledge of gear used by real Scythian horsewomen to equip their imagined Amazons.  “Archeological discoveries of well-preserved sets of clothing confirm that real horsewomen of ancient Scythian lands dressed much as did those described in Greek texts and illustrated in Scythian and Greek artwork.” (Mayor, 203)

The Elements of My Synthesis

[Insert  Image  1 Garment Hat Skin Tack]

The woman wears a Scythian cap with earflaps (see below for historical illustrations). There are two dots above the head that merge with the hat on some dies. This coin shows that the chest area is fabric, not armored as it would have been had this been a Roman soldier, and retains intact the cape, animal skin, or shoulder cord on the left shoulder. Note the object on the ground to her left that looks somewhat like an amphora (more on that later).

[Insert  Image  2 Ornate Belt]

Here we see the ornate belt the amazon wears. Grave goods show that historical amazons wore leather war belts with iron, bronze, or gold plates and fancy buckles depicting animals, griffins, warriors and other themes. (Mayor, 63-75) The baldric—the strap running across the chest to the left hip—normally would hold a Scythian’s leather or wood gorytos hip quiver, which was also where an archer fastened her bow when not in use. (Mayor, 214=215) This die shows the hip, and an angled line and three dots there hint at the top of a quiver.

[Insert Image 3 Ornate Decorations and Boots Poss Quiver or Sword]

Here is a second example suggesting that she is wearing a gorytos. This engraver applied decorations to the amazon’s skirt, and her boots are decorated as well. Note the object on the ground, which here appears to be constructed of wooden slats banded together, with a handle on top.

[Insert Image 4 Different Die Scythian Hat Ornate Belt]

This engraver conveys the impression of loose-fitting trousers.

[Insert Image 5 Shoulder Detail]

Here is a detail of the shoulder with relatively little wear.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Further Research Part 2
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »
[Insert Image 6 Die Looks More Male]

This hefty figure does look more male, but the clothing is still that of an amazon. Even if one mistook the chest for shaped armor, the chest strap on a Roman soldier would run from the left shoulder to the right hip and support his short sword. Still, this could account for attributions that refer to the figure as a roman soldier.

[Insert Image 7 Another Good Scythian Hat]

This is another good Scythian hat example, more clearly separated from the two dots. The horse’s mane is nicely detailed.

[Insert Image 9 Unidentified Object]

Here the object on the ground looks like bound asparagus. What the what? The horse’s mane and tack are nicely detailed.

[Insert Image 10 Unidentified Object]

Here the object again looks like a tube of banded wooden slats with a handle on the top and each side. What is this thing? To me, it looks like an old butter churn.

[Insert Image 20 Manual Churning of Koumiss Republic of Bashkortosatan]

Could it be a koumiss (fermented mare’s milk) churn, like these in use today?

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Further Research Part 3
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 12:41:51 pm »
Here are some ancient Greek images to help put the above in context.

[Insert Image 11 Amazons on Horseback Greek Vase]

[Insert Image 12 Amazon Decorated Garb Shoes Animal Skin]

[Insert Image 13 Hat with Earflaps]

[Insert Image 14 Amazon Similar to Coin]

[Insert Image 15 Amazon Similar to Coin]

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Further Research Part 4
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 12:44:36 pm »
[Insert Image 16 Amazon Wearing a Cloak]

[Insert Image 18 Similar clothing to Coin]

[Insert Image 19 Woman's Boots from Grave on Steppes]

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Further Research Part 5
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:46:07 pm »
[Insert Image 21 Amazon with Scythian Hat]

[Insert Image 22 Scythian Archer with Hat]

[Insert Image 23 Woman with Scythian Hat]

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 08:16:40 am »
My fascination with this coin has led me to buy a piece that clearly shows the Scythian cap (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-140602) that is a key to identifying the figure as an amazon. In the vendor's attribution, the object on the ground to the left from the viewer's perspective is described as a cuirass, a description also used by others. As on many coins of this type, it looks nothing at all like a cuirass (which is simply a breast plate-the lorica musculata or muscle cuirass). There are a few examples of coins on which one can see why someone would think that (see image C&S 3)-though an alternate description I have found is "trophy," which makes a bit more sense, because the object may include a helmet, shoulder pauldrons, and an armored skirt, if you look at it hoping that's what it is. But to accept that, you have to believe that engravers of many of the reverse dies had no idea what Roman armor looked like, though they competently executed the rest of the die. As Ricky Riccardo would say, you've got some 'splainin' to do. By the way, here's a link to a discussion on a Roman army fan site where it becomes apparent that archeologists have never found one of the things, either because only the most senior officers wore them, or because they were pressed leather and rotted away (http://www.romanarmytalk.com/thread-21905.html). They are known from sculptures and art.

I offer the hypothesis that numismatists have been looking for something Roman and so have perceived a tiny cuirass, which is a peculiar bit of iconography next to an amazon and her horse. Perhaps the object is in scale with the rest of the reverse, and it is something "barbarian," not Roman at all.

The object often appears to be a container. I suggested earlier a koumiss churn, but maybe it is something else that nomadic horse warriors lugged around with them that stuck in the minds of Roman engravers.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity