Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: roman scarab ?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline rami1785

• Consul
roman scarab ?
« on: August 04, 2017, 11:04:03 am »
can you guys identify
Roman scarab ?
type of the stone , gemstone ?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: roman scarab ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:14:55 am »
Etruscan, gobular style.  About fifth-fourth century B.C., of I remember correctly.  I have not studied Etruscan gems for many years.

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 11:24:01 am »
Hi Rami,

Just an observation... I also associated the globolo style with the Etruscans but it existed long before the Etuscans and elsewhere. From your photos, the scarab seems to be carved from a dark opaque stone. If the color of the stone is black or silvery, it could be hematite; if it is brown (the color of milk chocolate), it may be a variety of hematite called goethite.

Your scarab does not look Etruscan, at least not to me. There is a class of scarab/seal, originating (?) in northern Syria, Circa 1000 BC, that is closer to yours. See: Keel-Leu, H. Vorderasiatische Stempelsiegel, Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis 110, Freiburg/Gottingen, 1991: Nos. 65 and 66.

Russ

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:56:40 am »
Russ,

Could well be.  The scarab, now that you point it out, does look Syrian, but the cow and calf type seems more Etruscan to me.  Interesting point.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:27:52 am »
Very cool scarab ... congrats on scoring that neat animal-type (it's a total winner)

The two that I have are not carved from the same material as your new addition, so posting my examples would be of little help.

... congrats again (very neat item to possess)

+++

Offline rami1785

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:26:56 pm »
thank you guys gd job

All coins are guaranteed for eternity