Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Great deal from Joe!  (Read 11132 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Great deal from Joe!
« on: June 20, 2017, 10:09:21 am »
Picked up this lot of 50 Roman silver coins for $300 (see pic).  That's 6.00 each, right?!  A mistake?  I think not; here is Joe's description:

"We are tempted to buy this lot from the consignor, and attribute and sell the coins individually. We are, however, far behind in attributing and listing the coins we already have. We have to pass, so you have the opportunity to make this excellent buy."

Perfect lot to sharpen my Roman attribution skills, which have dulled considerably while I obsess about Acheloios.

Another similar lot is also available, while it lasts:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=85407q00.jpg&vpar=2935&zpg=91401&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

Thanks, Joe!

I've got that tingly feeling all over, like when I bought my first ancient.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Great deal from Joe!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:17:44 am »
Dear Molinari,

Nice private hoard  ;D

best,

eric
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:22:02 am »
Very nice! Attributing that lot will be a lot of fun.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:34:27 am »
Thanks. I suppose I should buy Roman Silver Coinage.  That's the standard for these types, correct?

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:39:24 pm »
"Picked up this lot of 50 Roman silver coins for $300 (see pic).  That's 6.00 each, right?"

If I click on the link logged in or not it shows me "only $7 each; $350.00"

Maybe the listing has been updated and the price increased since you wrote you posting or you have posted the wrong link.  

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 12:57:43 pm »
There are two lots. The one Molinari bought ($6 each, pic) , and a second one still available ($7 each, link).

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:04 pm »
Yes, exactly.  Even still, $7 per coin is a great bargain, especially for a newcomer (or someone playing in a new field, like me).  The experience of attributing coins, especially ones that are a bit worn like mine, is the best way to learn about coins, IMO.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 01:28:48 pm »
Congratulations Nick. Bone Marché.
Say if you attribute them and re-consign them at $25 average, that is a business opportunity to support your main field of interest. +++
Sam Mansourati

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 02:01:30 pm »
Thanks Sam. These will be perfect to use with students, I think, so I'll probably hold onto them and develop a cool attribution project.  I wish the partial inscription search on wildwinds still worked because I was really familiar with that.  But I know the new ANS database has an inscription search so perhaps we'll use that, instead.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 02:47:10 pm »
Congratulations Nick. Bone Marché.
Say if you attribute them and re-consign them at $25 average, that is a business opportunity to support your main field of interest. +++

Are you sure that this will work?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins2.asp?title=Selling%20Your%20Ancient%20Coins&pgc=../Selling/Selling_Coins_.html

"Our standard consignment fee is 20% of the sale price or a minimum of $40, whichever is greater. "

Consignment fee is minimum 40 Dollar per coin. Except you have a special deal with Forvm!

So each coin must be at average worth more than 50 Dollars that you will not lose money.

1 coin costs 7 Dollar + 40 Dollar fee + rate of shipping costs = about 50 Dollar.

I can understand that people buy such coin beacuse they have fun in attributing coins and then it does not really matter if the costs per coin is 6 or 7 Dollars or more because they have fun and learn more about this coins when they spend time for research/attributing them.
I think that there are many different and interesting coins in this lot (I have never seen a Limes denar for example in hand), so they can be very interesting and much fun for collectors but they are likely not really a good deal for people who want to make profit with them except there are some goodies hidden, but that would be gambling.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 03:23:53 pm »
Din , how are ya ?

I meant selling , it does not have to be FORVM per say . member auctions and others .. you know.
The Hadrian , its self worth more than $70.
Sam Mansourati

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 04:06:30 pm »
We normally don't accept coins, lots or antiquities for consignment with a value less than $80. If we do, or the price is reduced below $80, the consignment fee is 50%.  

The lot would almost certainly be a money maker on the Members' Auction.  

Forum has a partial inscription search (it was the first one on the internet) here: http://www.romancoin.info. Also our catalog search uses wildcards in the obverse and reverse legend fields to find partial matches.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:12 pm »
Great, I'll use your inscription search.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 08:36:36 pm »
Very nice! Attributing that lot will be a lot of fun.

Agree.

This represents great value.

Generally speaking, you cannot buy silver coins or decent coins for $7 from reputable dealers.

For $7 each, you get coins which you can enjoy the satisfaction of attributing personally and which have pedigree - FORVM would be near or top of the list, when it comes to provenance, for a number of reasons.

Peter

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 11:55:01 am »
Alas, too good to be true!  22 coins, an unfortunate typo.  Clearly the coins are worth the $13 a piece, and no one in their right mind would sell these at $6 a piece.  Advertised 22 coins for 300 I wouldn't have purchased- however, I like them and I'm glad Joe made the error because now I have a handful of Roman coins I wouldn't have had otherwise.

I see three republican, including a worn legionary denari.  The imperials are in decent shape.  Certainly identifiable. Right off the bat- Severus Alexander (I think), Elagabalus, Philip?, Antoninous Pius, Septimius Severus, Marcus Aurelius, Hadrian, couple babes, and of course Gordion III. One Hadrian appears plates, which is neat.

Fortunately, Andrew (orfew) sent me the first two Sear books (Roman Silver Coins) for free, so that should help and makes the typo easier to swallow!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 12:20:07 pm »
Darn, cut and paste error, but yes, still a bargain.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 12:49:04 pm »
including a worn legionary denari

Cool! Any sign of a legion number on that one? Either way, even completely worn Legionary Denarii can be very collectable.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 02:57:02 pm »
I'll have to look but it will be difficult to determine.  Here is my favorite from the batch.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 09:53:39 pm »
From the photo you posted they are all in reasonable grade and very likely attributable. Nice!

Better to get 22 decent coins than 50 sub par coins.

Is the second one from the left a Marc Antony Legionary Denarius? Those grooves look like the base of a galley?

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity