Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large M lead weight  (Read 2826 times)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Large M lead weight
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:18:56 am »
20mm by 4mm thick
13.07 g
weight wise not far from a half unica not sure the meaning of the large M

Tekin in ( a catalogue of weights in the Museums of Bordrum and Milas (including some non weight objects).
 has listed and pictured several lead weights marked with a M. In one instance he has a weight of 119.81 g possibly  corresponding to a quarter Mina (man of 479.24G) i.e. a tetarton. Another one at 13.51 gm with side ways M that may stand for a stater. This is a consideration as I understand that with the Lydo-Milesian standard a electrum stater weighed about 14g.

Anyone else familiar with Hellenistic weights?

thanks

cw

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Large M lead weight
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:29:27 am »
A mystery.
My best guess is that the M is a sigma, i.e, this is a Roman standard half ounce.
On the other hand there are plenty of Roman period lead half ounces in the Pera Museum, but they are all marked with an S (although ounces are marked with an A), and they are quite different in style to this object.
Perhaps this is some unofficial local weight.

As to the Lydian standard, I don't know of any weights that can be definitely attributed to Lydia.  although one of Tekin's standards of the Aegean region is a mina of c. 420 gm, which is close to the standard of the electrum coins, which is (I presume) a mina of 30 x 14.15 = 425 gm. 

Ross G.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Large M lead weight
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:10:54 am »
Ross thanks for replying, old thread.

Yes I have not seen any weights attributed to Lydia.

The Lydo-Milesian standard has the stater around 13-14 gms and I considered it briefly as a possibility.

I am not familiar with the sigma as a possibility for a roman standard half once, though do not disagree.

CW

All coins are guaranteed for eternity