Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Examples of Different Flash Positions  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
Examples of Different Flash Positions
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:41:23 pm »
I was playing around with a snoot on my flash and ended up with a lot of photos of the same coin, shot in pretty decent conditions. I thought they might be good examples for people to look at when positioning their light source to shoot their coins. Lots of examples of how you can capture different aspects of the same coin.

Offline Milos M

• Legionary
Re: Examples of Different Flash Positions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51:04 pm »
In my opinion best shots are without the flash and apply direct table light or lamp from the top of the coin, you can also break some shadows with directional light but the best photos I took were without the flash on the camera and used only natural or indoor light. Usually, I try to shoot during the day in the balcony on the top of the simple white paper, photos are looking very natural almost same as with eye. Usually, flash adds non-natural lights and shine ...

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:08 am »
To my eyes, the third one down (FCM37679) looks the best.

*Alex

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 02:39:17 pm »
I buffed it up with some Renaissance Wax to try to reduce the shine and put the light at a super high angle. So far, this is my favorite with the gear I have.

I hear you on the flash concern. In general, I feel like there isn't much I can do with a constant source that I cant do with a flash for still photos. Not much anyway. That said, it is the gear I have, so I am going to give it a whirl. Theoretically, I should wind up with a lot of control because of how easy it is to manipulate light from a flash when shooting and in post.

I may well come to regret it.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 03:01:41 pm »
I think a lamp would be better too.

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 07:41:39 pm »
Those look great!

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 10:09:25 pm »
One light I don't see here is flash bounced off the ceiling illuminating the whole room.  All shown here strike me as harsh as expected from direct flash.  The big advantage of continuous lights over flash is being able to see the results before you shoot. A small movement of a light will change the overall effect so it is good to be able to see what you get before shooting.  I do not have the exact coin and I wish this old image showed less glare in the head but it demonstrates that continuous lights work, too.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity