Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Lead Seal  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Byzantine Lead Seal
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:18:24 am »
I'm reviewing some interesting things that I put aside for awhile and came across this Byzatine lead seal featuring Acheloios as a man-faced bull.  What do the monograms  QEOTOKE BOHQEI and PETRW APO EPARCWN, if indeed those are correct, mean?

Nick

Auction House Description:

Petros (?), Apo Eparchon. (12,30 g.), Um 650 - 700 n. Chr. Vs.: Kreuzmonogramm für QEOTOKE BOHQEI, darunter androkephaler Stier n. r. Rs.: Kreuzmonogramm für PETRW APO EPARCWN. Zacos -. Ungewöhnliche Darstellung! RR! Beige Patina, ss-vz

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Lead Seal
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:13:52 pm »
Hi Nick,
'Theotoke boethei' is an invocation of the Mother of God as 'God-bearer' (Theotokos, in vocative 'Theotoke') to 'aid' the seal's owner.

'apo eparchon' is the seal owner's rank: he has the rank of an ex-prefect. This is a common dignity on seals of this period and it is very plausible that the monogram partly solves into this. The only letter left is T. So if we read 'apo eparchon', any personal name with T plus any of the other letters would be a valid solution. Petros would be probable and elegant, but there could be other possibilities.

Regards
Gert

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:00:29 pm »
Gert,

Thank you.  That is amazing- we have been studying the connection between Acheloios and the mother goddess in antiquity but had no idea it continued so late!!!

Nick

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 02:12:31 pm »
Gert,

How did you learn to decipher these monograms? Just practice?  They aren't entirely unlike Greek monograms (from Greek coinage) but to arrive at those lengthy transliterations then translations is really impressive.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 03:32:27 pm »
"boethei"
I think this means "help" or "assistance".
Asking for Her help? Or thanking Her?
PeteB

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:48:27 pm »
That's what Gert indicated, a vocative request for 'aid' from the mother goddess.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 03:59:29 pm »
Right!
I missed that!
Old PeteB

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 03:26:19 am »
Quick answer to your question, Molinari: yes, a lot of practice, but also a good library and gaining some knowledge about Byzantine names, ranks and offices, because those you will have to recognize. So nothing esoteric about it. After only a moderate amount of practice, you will instantly recognize standard monograms, like the Theotoke Boethei monogram, appearing on a multitude of seals including yours. The same goes for Ioannes and Theodore monograms.

Whenever I try to solve a more complex monogram, I usually draw it on a piece of paper and then go through the alphabet and put down the letters after one another. From that string of letters, I then try to recognize a common name (Ioannes, Theodoros, Konstantinos etc) or rank/office (stratelates, apo eparchon, apo hupaton, silentiarios etc). See the scan of your monogram.

Problems arise when names and ranks/offices are combined into a complex monogram, or when obscure names or obscure ranks/offices are used. A very big problem also arises when the monogram is incomplete. Imagine the top of your monogram missing with the T, which would lead to an attribution of 'Uncertain apo eparchon', because the possibilities for the personal name are almost infinite.

Lastly, there a couple of ground rules (so not absolute, there are exceptions):
1) Unlike monograms on Greek coins, Byzantine seal monograms incorporate ALL letters of the name, including the grammatical ending. So if one letter is missing or superfluous, the solution must probably be incorrect.
2) Only in block monograms are letters combined into the design. I mean that an A-shape in a block monogram implies Λ. Usually not in a cruciform monogram like yours. Then you will see both A and Λ. Some cruciform Ioannes monograms actually have two N's!
3) The exception to 2) is iota, which is always implied.

Regards
Gert

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 08:29:37 am »
Thanks for the detailed explanation- really cool stuff.  Unfortunately, this seal isn't mine, just a pic I saved.  If anyone ever sees another I'll pay a good premium for it!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 02:41:34 pm »
Because the inscription "Theotoke Boethei" is so common on Byzantine Seals, would that mean it has no relation to the iconography?  The combination would make terrific sense, but could just be a coincidence.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 03:38:08 pm »
No, I don't think that phrase is specifically connected to eagle or bull in some way.
Regards
Gert

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 04:04:23 pm »
Gert makes it sound easy. I don't think so!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 05:24:57 pm »
Incidentally, the eagle (or other birds) and winged figures are often connected  with the mother goddess and the notion of rebirth in various traditions.  Is it ever written with anything else or just an eagle, the man-faced bull, or nothing?  I haven't found anything.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 05:51:32 am »
Hi Molinari,
I just had a good time researching your proposal. Here's what I find: the phrase 'Theotoke beothei' was used throughout the whole of Byzantine history, on all kinds of objects, not just seals. It is predominantly encountered paired with images of the Virgin, as is to be expected. When other saints are depicted, mostly in Middle-Byzantine times, usually they themselves are invoked (Nikolae boethei for example with Nikolaos), or Christ (Kyrie boethei). It is also encountered on many aniconographic seals that came into fashion in the first iconoclastic period in the 8th century, paired with 'TW CW DULW' (comprising the invocation 'Theotokos aid your servant') in the fields and an inscription naming the owner on the reverse (see photo below as example). In the early centuries you can find 'Theotoke boethei' on seals depicting other saints apart from the virgin, like for example Anastasia (Zacos/Veglery 1240), John the Baptist (Z/V 1248), Peter and Paul (Z/V 1263), a military saint (Z/V 1288). But these are rare, because iconography other than the Virgin is rare during early Byzantine times.

Arguing vice versa, the eagle is better explained as a remnant of the pagan Roman eagle. That is indicated by the fact that the first iconoclastic period pretty much dealt a death blow to the eagle as an iconographic feature on Byzantine seals. If the eagle was assigned a christian or spiritual significance, it was not so much associated with the Virgin but with Christ. It is true that virtually all seals with eagles and an invocation use 'Theotoke beothei' (exception 'Christe boethei' Z/V 684A), but that is better explained by convention, rather than to any special connection to the eagle: invocations of Christ are known in the 7th century, but only rarely. They become much more common in the 8th century, when eagle seals have disappeared out of fashion.

Lastly, it is noteworthy that these seals with eagles seem to be confined to state officials. I know no seals with an eagle belonging to a member of the clergy. I think this is another indication that the device is to interpreted as a continuation of the Roman eagle, rather than a symbol associated with the Virgin. If the latter were the case, surely some bishop would have used it.
Regards
Gert
---
photo: seal of Aaron, “the sinner”, notarios. Byzantine lead seal 8th century AD, from my own collection. It has the invocation 'Theotokos aid your servant' on the obv. The reverse identifies the owner as Aaron, and because he styles himself 'the sinner', hamartolos, he is probably a member of the clergy.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 07:52:05 pm »
An icon from the Sinai monastery, 7th-9th century AD:

Look at the human nose on the bull!  I find man-faced bulls everywhere  ;D

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae