Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Website Award Discontinued  (Read 26239 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Website Award Discontinued
« on: February 04, 2017, 06:50:48 am »
Our website award program is discontinued due to lack of member participation.  I am sorry to see it go.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Re: Website Award Discontinued
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:01:38 pm »
That's disappointing Joe.

What was involved to keep it going?

Looking at the relatively small number of votes for M.O.T.Y.,
it seems that member participation is low for most things.

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:04:04 pm »
Due to scarcity this increases the value of the Award For Numismatic Excellence that http://snible.org/coins/ achieved.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 07:40:17 am »
That's disappointing Joe.

What was involved to keep it going?

Looking at the relatively small number of votes for M.O.T.Y.,
it seems that member participation is low for most things.

Walter
For a long time, we had a committee that nominated the sites for member approval (voting). The idea was that the committee would review and only select sites that were very likely to be approved by the members. The intent was that the online public view of the process should be mostly positive (private rejection, public approval). Unfortunately, the committee faded and stopped nominating sites.

My replacement idea was to change to an annual poll of nominated sites with the top vote earners getting awards. We didn't get nominations. I have doubts that this idea was going to work well even with nominations.

I think the only way the awards could be resurrected would be a few volunteers that wants to actively seek and evaluate sites to nominate and set up the member polls (the old way). If we do get volunteers, I expect they will find far fewer sites to recognize than we did long ago. There was a time when we were awarding almost monthly. I think the internet has changed over time and there are fewer people setting up their own websites.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity