Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Whitman Coin Expo - Baltimore, MD - November 3 - 6, 2016  (Read 5347 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Whitman Coin Expo - Baltimore, MD - November 3 - 6, 2016
« on: October 30, 2016, 12:12:57 am »
The Whitman Winter Coin Expo is being held from Thursday November 3 through Sunday the 6th, at the Baltimore Convention Center.

There is usually a decent representation from dealers either specializing in or who carry a decent selection of ancients. 

A quick count from the dealer list shows about 374 different dealers listed for the show.

For more information, check out the link below.

http://expo.whitman.com/

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Whitman Coin Expo - Baltimore, MD - November 3 - 6, 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 05:51:51 pm »
Anyone on this forum (no pun intended) planning to attend?

I'll be there from Thursday until about noon on Saturday.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 05:58:06 pm »
Anyone on this forum (no pun intended) planning to attend?

I'll be there from Thursday until about noon on Saturday.

This is a big problem with this show.  I ride to Baltimore on a bus with others from our local coin club.  We can only come on Saturday.  By noon Saturday, many of the dealers are packed up and leaving.  This situation seems worse for the modern coin collectors but some of the ancient people do it, too. That means I have to prioritize whose table I visit first and who I believe will be there after noon.  It does not help us when we try to find other riders for the bus and I'm not sure I'd go if I collected US.   I realize that many dealers are mostly there to interact with other dealers and none will define a good show based on what I might buy but it is hard to call a show as 'Best on the East Coast' if you go Saturday.  I first attended Baltimore in the late 1990's.  I do not recall this situation being as bad back then but I never looked at the US areas then so I don't know when this schedule became fashionable.  I know saving a night in the hotel and allowing earlier flights makes this appealing.  The show is worth attending and the published list includes over 20 names I recognize as having some ancients.  Don't buy them all on Thursday, please.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 09:02:06 pm »
The problem of early departures is truly annoying, but I can certainly be understand their reasons for wanting to leave as many of them arrived today (Wednesday).   

I used to attend the Bay State show in Boston every year and would stay until Sunday. Walking into the bourse on Sunday was like walking into a a flea market. After one or two years of that I left on Saturday to save a night's hotel stay and to be able to ogle my purchases for a day before having to go back to
work on Monday. 

I really never noticed this show being that bad but will make it a point to observe what the floor looks like in Saturday. M

All coins are guaranteed for eternity