Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Gothic War and Justinians Unusual Thessalonican Coins  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Robert C2

• Legionary
The Gothic War and Justinians Unusual Thessalonican Coins
« on: August 03, 2016, 10:10:12 pm »
I recently became interested in Justinian's Thessalonica-mint coins with the unusual denominations of 16 (indicated i Greek by IS on the reverses), 8 (as H), 4 (as Delta), and 2 (as B) nummi. Only the 16 nummi denomination is common. All denominations occur with the letters A - Rho (if also in Greek, looking like Latin A - P). In doing research, I found several previously suggested explanations of the two-letter combination that seemed dubious at best. I looked at the history of the period and thought that these unusual coins may have been closely related to Justinian's Gothic War to recover Rome and Italy from the Ostrogoths. I drafted a paper with a possible explanation of the letters that is available at:

The Gothic War and Justinian's Unusual Thessalonican Coins  

I realize that I need to improve the draft and would welcome comments and suggestions, which I would be happy to credit to the offerors. While I will value any responses, my greatest interest is in any information about where these coin denominations, both in hoards and singly, have been found: Macedonia? Italy? Sicily? Elsewhere? Much thanks to anyone who will help!

Offline Robert C2

• Legionary
Re: The Gothic War and Justinians Unusual Thessalonican Coins
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:14:37 am »
I see a nice example of a "Gothic War" coin with reverse "AISP" right here on Forum:
https://tinyurl.com/w6xfrbj

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 04:26:43 pm »
Here is one I acquired recently.  Too bad it is struck a little off-center on the obverse, otherwise it would have been perfect...

Byzantine Empire: Justinian I (527-565) Æ 16 Nummi, Thessalonica (Sear-175; DOC-98a; MIBE-169a; Metcalf 116-33)

Obv: Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
Rev: Large Iς; A to left, P to right; cross above; ; TЄS below

Offline Robert C2

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:25:04 pm »
Excellent grade! I've seen that some sellers offer almost entirely coins from one region: Magna Graecia, Sicily, Levant, etc. Any idea about the seller of yours? If so, it could be useful information, if we find enough examples, to confirm or refute where and how the coin was probably used.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:37:57 am »
About provenance of this type of coins, the following booklet might be helpful.

Metcalf David

The Copper Coinage of Thessalonica under Justinian I.

tk

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 03:25:56 am »
Nice Coin..any way ... +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Robert C2

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:10:35 am »
Thanks for suggesting the reference!

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 08:36:50 am »
Hi Robert,

I read your draft paper with interest and would like to offer some random comments.

(1) You don’t reference the existing literature about the Thessalonica mint at this period.  The most detailed discussion is in David Metcalf’s monograph The Copper Coinage of Thessalonica under Justinian I, Vienna 1976. You may have trouble finding this text – it’s very scarce. I had to consult the copy from the RNS library in London, even though I live in Manchester 200 miles away. Also very important are the various discussions in the works of Hahn, most recently MIBE, page 64f. If you disagree with Metcalf and/or Hahn you will have to explain why you think they are wrong.

(2) Rather than being part of an important trade route between west and east, Metcalf argued for a growing isolation of Macedonia from the rest of the empire. The Illyricum prefecture did not concern itself with Italy or the Goths much at this time – it was far more alarmed about incursions by Bulgars and Slavs. Sirmium was lost to the Gepids in 536.  If this picture is correct, an explanation for the distinctive denominations used in Thessalonica related to Justinian’s Gothic wars would seem to be less likely.

(3) Hahn suggested that the peculiar Thessalonican system was a result of the currency reform of 538, under which the gold-copper conversion price was altered from 20lb to 16lb = 1 solidus. Thus, before the reform a solidus was worth 360 folles of nominal weight 18 to the pound, after the reform 210 folles struck at 13¼ to the pound. Hahn suggested that Thessalonica kept to the old standard. By keeping 720 half-folles to the solidus the mint was obliged to issue “half-folles” of only 16-nummi.  It’s interesting that when the Thessalonica mint starts issuing 20-nummi and 10-nummi pieces in 562, they seem to have the same weight standard as the earlier 16- and 8-nummi pieces.  But the metrology really isn’t all that clear, because lots of the earlier series coins have weights significantly lighter than Hahn’s theory would predict.

(4) The A – P letters are still an unsolved problem. And, of course, types also exist which have AISPI (SBCV 186) and APISΨ (SBCV 183).   Perhaps the extra I could indicate Illyrica, particularly if the A – P stand for ‘Arca Praefectoria’. APISΨ is harder to fathom, but if Hahn’s old weight standard conjecture is correct then maybe it could be a kind of designator of that: Ψ as a numeral is 700.  

Keep researching!

Bill R.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 11:45:18 am »
Dear Robert

Bill in his post above, summarized excellently a few aspects of the "Thessalonica copper coinage" question.
So far no clear conclusion about the need of producing these denominations as well as the meaning of A-P is reached.
Moreover -as Bill indicated- things become even more complicated if we consider the extra two types AISPI and APISΨ.
In case you cant find pictures of these extra types, see below

tk

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 04:56:46 am »
Quote from: Robert C2 on August 03, 2016, 10:10:12 pm

While I will value any responses, my greatest interest is in any information about where these coin denominations, both in hoards and singly, have been found: Macedonia? Italy? Sicily? Elsewhere? Much thanks to anyone who will help!

Metcalf’s monograph includes a catalogue of 331 specimens, many of which contain information about find spots. His general conclusion was that these types were uncommon beyond the borders of the Illyricum prefecture: “Within the prefecture the Thessalonican coin was worth 16-nummi, but beyond its bounds it may have been less acceptable, as its intrinsic value was deficient.” (p.18)

Metcalf actually thought that this coinage circulated mostly in the northern part of Illyricum, but that judgement needs to be modified. In the Numismatic Circular for June 1993, Simon Bendall published a brief note about a hoard of 150 16-nummi and two 8-nummi coins which he had examined. Bendall’s comments include the following paragraph:

“The standard work on these coins is by D.M. Metcalf but it does seem to have certain flaws. He states, p. 18, that there is a scarcity of these finds from central Greece. This is not my experience. I have often seen these coins from Thessaly and 20 years ago they were often to be found in Pandrossou St., Athens. The hoard published here was found in Boetia.”

Hope this helps.

Bill R.

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 08:29:42 pm »
As it turned out after the publication of site finds from various parts of the early Byzantine world, 16 nummia (and even fractions) traveled long distances, to places like Asia Minor, Lazica and Palestine, something that neither Metcalf nor Bendall really expected.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Gerardo B

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 09:53:38 pm »
Good morning, how could I access the document. David Metcalf's monograph The Copper Coinage of Thessalonica under Justinian I, Vienna 1976. From Argentina I have no way of achieving it.
I am studying on the subject, and it is indispensable to advance, any help is welcome.
From already thank you very much

All coins are guaranteed for eternity