Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wall Display  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Soxfan

• Praetorian
Wall Display
« on: July 30, 2016, 07:56:52 pm »
Hey all, its been a while, you know kids and all  :)

Question, I'm decorating my office and have some nice framed pictures that I took of Rome when I was there. In between those, I would like to hang a wall mounted display of my coins. Maybe even something in order of the first 12 Emperors.

Anyhow, my question is, do any of you display your coins on the wall or any ideas? Thanks for any replies!

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: Wall Display
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 08:31:21 pm »
Buy a smallish (32") LED TV, mount it in a frame and run a slide show from a USB drive.  Many/most TV's now have this capability built in.  Prices seem to be falling daily.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:51:55 am »
Doug's idea is a great one.

There are challenges to displaying real coins on a wall.  It is hard to get them to stay in place in a vertical setting.  There are display systems which press an object between two layers of clear stuff (mylar ???) in a nice frame.  This keeps them from moving around.  However this means you have an ancient coin in direct contact with plastic which is a recipe for damage.  Even if the plastic is archivally safe - which I really doubt most are - you can get trapped moisture leading to things like bronze disease

Stick a flat tray on the wall somehow and the coins will just roll around in the little compartments. 

You could build or buy a thicker tray and make some sort of angled rest to that each coins leans back on an angle but I have never seen such a thing for sale.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Soxfan

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 11:21:04 pm »
Yeah, good points. There really isn't a good solution for that. They just tell such a story, I hate storing them in a tray, but there really isn't a better idea. Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback

All coins are guaranteed for eternity