Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A PIETAS sestertius of Antoninus as Caesar with draped bust  (Read 1093 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
IMP T AELIVS CAE - SAR ANTONINVS, bare-headed, draped bust r., seen from side

PIETAS in exergue, TRI[B - POT COS] around, S - C across field, Pietas standing r., extending open r. hand over altar at her feet and holding incense box in l. hand

27.75 g, axis 6 o'cl. Ex Naumann E45, 3 July 2016, lot 757; their photograph is reproduced below.

The restoration of the rev. legend  TRI[B - POT COS] is suggested by the wide spacing of the three visible letters T - R - I. The other possibility,  TRI[B  POT  - COS DES II], would have required that TRI be more closely spaced, in order to fit in B POT too to the left of Pietas.

PIETAS sestertii of Antoninus as Caesar usually have bust type Head bare right. Bare-headed, draped bust right is a rare variant. Strack knew only four such sestertii, all with the variant rev. type Pietas sacrificing left rather than right: with legend PIETAS in exergue in Vienna, and with PIE - TAS across field in BM, Naples, and Bologna.

After receiving the coin I noticed

(a) that its obv. die seems to be the same as that of Frans Diederik's rare Concordia seated sestertius of Antoninus as Caesar, which he showed us in Forvm in July 2015; I reproduce his picture below. That die link to Frans' coin supports the restoration TRI[B - POT COS] of my reverse legend, since Concordia seated seems to have been an early rev. type of Antoninus as Caesar, used only in his issue dated COS and not continuing, as the Pietas types did, into his second issue with title COS DES II.

(b) The altar before Pietas in the coinage of Antoninus as Caesar is quite often shown lighted and garlanded, but on my coin an extra detail is added, a bucranium (bull's skull) on the side of the altar below the garland. Maybe this was one of the earliest Pietas sesterius rev. dies of Antoninus as Caesar, since such an extra detail is more likely to have been introduced at the beginning of a type's life, and soon dropped, than to have been intruded in the course of the type's life, being both preceded and followed by dies without the detail. If correct, this idea would of course require the restoration COS rather than COS DES II in the rev. legend of my coin.

I can't recall seeing such a decoration on an altar on any other Roman coin, but then again, I haven't really looked! A bronze medallion of Antoninus Pius of 140-144 AD shows Jupiter standing facing holding thunderbolt and scepter, between an eagle on the right and an altar decorated with the Wolf and Twins on the left: Dressel, Berlin Medallions, no. 17, Plate II. On a unique sestertius of Galba in Paris, Paris catalogue pl. XVIII, 242, the altar before a standing figure of Pietas is decorated with a relief of Aeneas carrying his father Anchises and leading his son Ascanius by the hand.

Curtis Clay

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: A PIETAS sestertius of Antoninus as Caesar with draped bust
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:23:10 am »
Curtis, thank you for sharing its the details what makes collecting for me very interesting part.
Best,

Eric
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:15:24 am »
I can't recall seeing such a decoration on an altar on any other Roman coin, but then again, I haven't really looked!

This is the first time I have seen a bucranium too.

I also believe you would have noticed even if you weren't "really" looking. I don't think you miss much.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 04:30:21 pm »
Bulls' skulls on an altar that I was aware of, but that didn't occur to me earlier: one skull on each door of the altar-enclosure asses of Domitian, see picture below from CNG and CoinArchives Pro.

Here, however, the skulls seem to serve as mounts for rings that one could grasp and pull to open the doors of the enclosure. The bucranium on Pietas' altar, in contrast, would have been purely decorative.
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 03:07:50 pm »
An altar with bucranium, garland, and four pellets on a coin of Caracalla at Cretia-Flaviopolis, Bithynia that was sold on eBay a couple of months ago:
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity