Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vintage Magnifying Glass  (Read 2330 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Vintage Magnifying Glass
« on: June 27, 2016, 10:04:25 pm »
Recently I was able to acquire an antique Bausch & Lomb wood handle magnifying glass. The piece came with the original box and is in mint shape - there isn't one scratch or mark on the lens! I have no further information about it other than what the box says: Cat. No. 81-33-23, Reading Glass, Size 3 1/4". The mark on the metal frame reads: Bausch & Lomb Optic Co. USA. It's certainly the highest quality lens of this size I've ever used. This will likely become my go to magnifier for everyday coining.

I assume, judging from the style of the box, it dates from the 1940's. The seller couldn't tell me any more about it either. If anyone has any further info please let me know!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Vintage Magnifying Glass
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 11:11:51 pm »
I did some quick internet searches and couldn't find anything to date the glass, but I wonder if you contact B&L, if they could help narrow down the date of manufacture?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:00:56 am »
I did some quick internet searches and couldn't find anything to date the glass, but I wonder if you contact B&L, if they could help narrow down the date of manufacture?

Thanks for the effort! I did the same and came up with a few other undated examples that are different in style (no wood handle ones) in the same type of box on Worthpoint. It's possible the piece dates as early as the 30's since the iconic logo 'To greater vision through optical science' was in use starting in 1919 and discontinued sometime after WWII. B&L's production was pretty much devoted to fulfilling military contracts during the war, so I doubt there was a lot of products produced for the civilian market until the mid 40's.

Perhaps you're right, the easiest thing to do would be to contact B&L and see if some kind soul there has the interest to look into it, but somehow I doubt it.  :-\

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 05:58:51 pm »
Recently I was able to acquire an antique Bausch & Lomb wood handle magnifying glass. The piece came with the original box and is in mint shape - there isn't one scratch or mark on the lens! I have no further information about it other than what the box says: Cat. No. 81-33-23, Reading Glass, Size 3 1/4". The mark on the metal frame reads: Bausch & Lomb Optic Co. USA. It's certainly the highest quality lens of this size I've ever used. This will likely become my go to magnifier for everyday coining.

I assume, judging from the style of the box, it dates from the 1940's. The seller couldn't tell me any more about it either. If anyone has any further info please let me know!

Nice - I'd like to find one just like it.

PtolemAE

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 06:52:27 pm »
Quote from: PtolemAE on July 01, 2016, 05:58:51 pm

Nice - I'd like to find one just like it.

PtolemAE

It really is a great glass to use. Crystal clear and quite sharp.

I got over zealous in my interest in vintage magnifying glasses and purchased a 'seerite' brand glass from the 1950's. Like the Bausch and Lomb, it came with the original box and is in mint shape. However, it is utter rubbish for coining purposes! Apparently they were mass produced and marketed to people too cheap to buy proper reading glasses. The quality of the lens has a lot to be desired. Oh well, I only spent $10 for the glass and if anything it's a nice conversational piece.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity