Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dublin Conference on Imperatorial and early Augustan Coinage  (Read 8300 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Registration for the Dublin conference closes on 13th June, so any last minute attendees may wish to consider now. Registration is here
https://sites.google.com/site/celticclassics2016/registration

The conference is a general one on antiquity with 21 parallel rooms running over 4 days, with a number of plenary lectures (all attendees) too. The numismatic scope is as follows:

Coins of the Roman Revolution, 49 BC-AD 14: Evidence without Hindsight Anton Powell (Wales) and Nandini Pandey (Wisconsin)

Coinage and the Idea of Peace during Two Decades of Civil War. Hannah Cornwell (London)
    The Impact of Augustus’ Propaganda in Sicily through Numismatic, Epigraphic and Historical Evidence. Antonino Crisà (Leicester)
    Scipio and Cato in 47-46: Ideals and Expectations through Coins. Claudia Devoto (Rome) & Barbara Spigola (Salento)
    Augustus as Eagle: Symbolic Analysis of Augustan Coinage. Ben Greet (Leeds)
    The Laurel as Symbol. Rebecca Katz (Harvard)
    Quintus Cornificius, héritier de l’Africana causa? Le témoignage des monnaies. Guillaume de Méritens (Toulouse)
    Conclusion. Nandini Pandey (Madison)
    Marcus Junius Brutus as a Symbol of Libertas: the Coins. Aura Piccioni (Regensburg)
    Introduction: Coinage and Hindsight. Anton Powell (Classical Press of Wales)
    Republican Family History on Coins of the Augustan Era. Clare Rowan (Warwick)
    The SC Coinage and the Role of the Senate under Augustus. Amy Russell (Durham)
    Coins and the memory of games/Les jeux et les messages des monnaies : deux supports complémentaires de discours de César à Auguste. Matthieu Soler (Toulouse)
    Les enjeux des dépôts monétaires pendant la « Révolution romaine » : les aurei de Martigues. Arnaud Suspène (Orléans/CNRS)
    Primores Feminae: Women on the Coins, 40-29BC. Kathryn Welch (Sydney)
    Durmius, the Crab and the Butterfly: the Reverse Types of the Moneyers in 19BC. David Woods (Cork)
    Savior Imagery on the Coinage of Demetrius Poliorcetes and Sextus Pompey. David Wright (Rutgers)
    Mark Antony and the Bronze Revolution. Lucia Carbone (Columbia).
    L'héritage homérique dans l'iconographie monétaire à la fin de la République et au début du principat. Rachel Deyts (Paris)
    Se distinguer en disant la même chose? Les discours monétaires des prétendants au pouvoir (44-30 av. J.-C.).  Raphaelle Laignoux (Paris)

Wednesday 22nd
2:30       Scipio and Cato in 47-46: Ideals and Expectations through Coins. Claudia Devoto (Rome) & Barbara Spigola (Salento
3:30      Coins and the memory of games/Les jeux et les messages des monnaies : deux supports complémentaires de discours de César à Auguste.  Matthieu Soler (Toulouse)

Thursday 23rd
9am      Marcus Junius Brutus as a Symbol of Libertas: the Coins. Aura Piccioni (Regensburg)
10am    Savior Imagery on the Coinage of Demetrius Poliorcetes and Sextus Pompey. David Wright (Rutgers)
11am    Primores Feminae: Women on the Coins, 40-29BC. Kathryn Welch (Sydney) Primores Feminae: Women on the Coins, 40-29BC. Kathryn Welch (Sydney)
12am    Quintus Cornificius, héritier de l’Africana causa? Le témoignage des monnaies. Guillaume de Méritens (Toulouse)
2:30      Se distinguer en disant la même chose? Les discours monétaires des prétendants au pouvoir (44-30 av. J.-C.).  Raphaelle Laignoux (Paris)
3:30      Mark Antony and the Bronze Revolution. Lucia Carbone (Columbia).

Friday 24th
9am      The Laurel as Symbol. Rebecca Katz (Harvard)
10am    L'héritage homérique dans l'iconographie monétaire à la fin de la République et au début du principat. Rachel Deyts (Paris)
11am    The SC Coinage and the Role of the Senate under Augustus. Amy Russell (Durham)
12am    Republican Family History on Coins of the Augustan Era. Clare Rowan (Warwick)
2:30      Durmius, the Crab and the Butterfly: the Reverse Types of the Moneyers in 19BC. David Woods (Cork)
3:30      The Impact of Augustus’ Propaganda in Sicily through Numismatic, Epigraphic and Historical Evidence. Antonino Crisà (Leicester)

Saturday 25th
9am      Coinage and the Idea of Peace during Two Decades of Civil War. Hannah Cornwell (London)
9:30am Augustus as Eagle: Symbolic Analysis of Augustan Coinage. Ben Greet (Leeds)

Additionally there will be four plenary lectures (addressed at all 21 streams of the conference) and a dinner.

Registration costs €150 or €100 for relevant academia.

Andrew

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Dublin Conference on Imperatorial and early Augustan Coinage
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 08:20:27 am »
If the numismatic content isn't enough to tempt, attendees also get to attend 16 alternate lectures on each the following topics (making a total of 320 choices), as well as the four yet-to-be-announced plenary talks:

Panel 1: Achilles Tatius
Panel 2: Alcibiades: History, Characterization and Reception      
Panel 3: Cicero across Genres  
Panel 4: Civilisations and Cities: too many Romes?    
Panel 5: Modern (Ancient) Epic  
Panel 6: Coins of the Roman Revolution, 49 BC-AD 14: Evidence without Hindsight (that's our stuff!)
Panel 7: The Contexts of Late Antique Literature  
Panel 8: The Development of the Indian Ocean Trade in Antiquity                  
Panel 9: Ethnicity and Multiculturalism in Herodotus: Through Others’ Eyes  
Panel 10: Forensic narratives in Athenian courts      
Panel 11: Topics, Traditions and Perspectives in Historiography on Alexander the Great
Panel 12: Imperial Panegyric from Diocletian to Constantine    
Panel 13: Landscapes of Dread    
Panel 14: Late Antique Palaces and Palace Culture: patterns of transculturation
Panel 15: Myth and History in the Historiography of Early Rome
Panel 16: New Approaches to Ancient Greek Warfare
Panel 17: Oppositional Tendencies in Myth and Mythography
Panel 18: The Origins of the Olympic Games and the Development of Olympia before the 5th century BC
Panel 19: The Roman Imperial Court from the Antonines to the Theodosians
Panel 20: Sulla Felix: Politics, Public Image, and Reception
Panel 21: Unease as opportunity: elite responses to the rise of Persia 559-479 BCE

Of the above, I'm also rather interested in 15: Myth and History in the Historiography of Early Rome; and 20: Sulla Felix: Politics, Public Image, and Reception. Here are their contents:

Myth and History in the Historiography of Early Rome
    The secession of the plebs and its Indo-European background.
    Aetiology and (re)construction: the memory of early Rome between realities and invention.
    Mythical Aborigines and Augustan historiography.
    The character of Roman collective memory and the construction of Roman ideals.
    The war of Porsenna in Livy and Dionysius.
    Dionysius and his sources on the mythical prehistory of Rome.  
    Privatus or tribunus celerum: the two ways to historicize and rationalize the myth of Lucius Brutus?.
    Political violence between myth and history: the example of Accius and Cicero.
    The Epiphanies of the Dioscuri: Myth or History?
    Le conflit patricio-plébéien entre mythe et histoire : comparaison des sécessions de la plèbe chez Tite-Live et Denys d’Halicarnasse.
    Dionysius of Halicarnassus on how to write myth.
    Men, Gods and Places in Early Rome : Myths in the historical Narratives in the 1st century BC.
    Sculpting History into Myth: Tarpeia, Moral Legislation, and Foreign Conquest.
    Roman myth and history: the memory of the Fabii at Cremera.

Sulla Felix: Politics, Public Image, and Reception
    ‘The Lion and the Fox': L. Cornelius Sulla from a warfare perspective.
    Sulla and Aphrodisias: on the construction of oracular tradition and historical memory.
    Reconsidering the Sulla Myth
    Rome Away from Rome: Sulla as Trailblazer for the Option of Rival Government. Jörg Fündling (RWTH Aachen)
    Paludes et silvae: the ruin of the veteran.
    What do Sulla and the philosophers have in common? Not much.
    Sulla’s long shadow, and what Tacitus’ Annales can tell us about Sallust’s Historiae.
    Sulla, the People and elections: a reassessment.
    Sulla in the Bellum Jugurthinum.
    Sulla the Orator.
    The Lacus Servilius.
    L. Cornelius Sulla between res publica and memoria.

So I'll dive out of the less interesting coin stuff for some of these. The full list of lectures is here:
https://sites.google.com/site/celticclassics2016/panels

I always like to encourage collectors to attend conferences. No special skills are required, there's no exam at the end, you just have to be able to listen, and if you feel like it, to join in discussions. But this always seems to fall on deaf years, at least as far as responses from Forum members are concerned. What could be more enjoyable than to spend a week and weekend in Dublin, talking about Imperatorial coinage, Sulla, early Roman myths, and Cicero? What a lot of fun for a hundred euros!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:18:12 am »
Looks like fun!  Are you presenting at all?

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:21:37 am »
Look fascinating but I'm in Fiji on holiday then. have fun Andrew. 

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 11:05:45 am »
Looks like fun!  Are you presenting at all?

Nope - decoding the meaning of coin types isn't an area of knowledge for me. I'm more a technical numismatist, interested in mints, dating and the economics and necessity for coin issues. The pictures on the coins are neither here nor there except to the extent the can confirm issuer and date. But as the venue is one mile from my parents house, this is unmissable - I get to do family duty without having to pay for a separate flight or agenda time, and also get to do more interesting activities in daytime than a normal visit to the oldies involves.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 11:09:27 am »
Looks fascinating. I would love to go but I have unfortunately made other conference commitments this coming year.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 01:01:05 pm »
Quote from: carthago on June 10, 2016, 10:21:37 am
..... but I'm in Fiji on holiday then..... 

Oh the sacrifices we sometimes must make !!!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity