Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: English Amateur Scholar Collection  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
English Amateur Scholar Collection
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:21:03 am »
A while back, I had the opportunity to photograph a very interesting collection of Roman Republican coins, and uploaded the images here on my Flickr site (some samples below this post).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/albums/72157667569085515

Many unusual and rare pieces, many not in Crawford. I thought I'd therefore share with Forum members my own photos of the collection which can be contrasted with their sale listings. Whilst my photography is much less consistent than that produced by the Danner setup, I like to think that I’ve captured the colour and spirit of the coins, in a generally better manner. In particular, minty coins look more minty – rather than grey – and toned coins look more colourful – rather than grey. You should always of course pay attention to the condition modifiers in lot descriptions, which usually correctly reflect how a coin looks.

Anyway enjoy the photos - and especially of the super-rarities such as the double-obverse Furia Brocchus, and the Pan-Silenus Titia quadrans.

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
Re: English Amateur Scholar Collection
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:51:05 am »
Thanks for sharing Andrew, some really fantastic and interesting coins in this collection and I agree, your pictures tend to capture a certain "minty" quality that is rarely seen in photos.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:46:55 am »
That Pompey denarius is absolutely stunning! It must be one of the finest examples known.

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:24:06 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on May 02, 2016, 09:46:55 am
That Pompey denarius is absolutely stunning! It must be one of the finest examples known.

Couldn't agree more. The details on the eagle are just stunning.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:58:32 pm »
I do tend to like this style of photography over the gray uniform exposure.  Very nice coins, Andrew never fails to delight us.

Offline ickster

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 12:19:08 pm »
Thanks for posting these! These are works of art.  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity