Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: White vs Black Backgrounds  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
White vs Black Backgrounds
« on: December 22, 2015, 12:42:28 pm »
I know this has been discussed before but I have just started shooting my coins with a black background.  It is such a huge time savings, I don't think I would ever go back to anything else. I normally would shoot with a grey background then crop the coin out.  With the black background you just crop and your done, really a no-brainer.

Here are a couple recent shots.

A Couple Shekels from Tyre:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-125799
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-125796

Vespasian Denarius:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-125492

Lucius Verus Denarius:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-125561

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: White vs Black Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:56:03 pm »
They do look nice.  I hesitate to switch (I've thought about it) especially since my coins are all bronze.

What are you physically using as the background?  Just a black piece of paper?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:57:45 pm »
I think black looks nicer with silver and gold, white with bronze.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 12:58:37 pm »
Well done! I, too, prefer a dark background.
PeteB

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 01:31:25 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I've used a couple different items as background, black paper does just fine.  I put the coin on a magic marker cap (about an inch long) to keep it up off the paper. 

After taking the picture I crop, make small tone adjustments and I'm done.

Nemo

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 02:29:24 pm »
I think black looks nicer with silver and gold, white with bronze.

Red also looks terrific with gold and bronze, and blue looks great with silver. That's because the background colors then typically match hues on the coin, and it sort of adds vibrancy. When I photograph coins in my red Abafil trays certainly the bronzes come out best, surprisingly often better than using a perfectly neutral grey, though that might be a trick of the eyes as in principle a professional grey should give the best colour matching. Meepzorps photos on grey carpet or cloth hage rather surprisingly been turning out very well. There's no accounting for the randomly different algorithms in each camera. Trial and error is key.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 03:07:39 pm »
I always black velvet background and I use a little lift up the coin holder is a small (about 1 cm), as seen in my pictures.

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 07:13:19 am »
I think color backgrounds are very attractive. I use a white background for my coin photos only because I print my photos from time to time, and a white background saves ink.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 09:36:10 am »
I use a wonderful program for my MAC called Pixelmator, it allows me to add any colour backgrounds of my choosing from the selection provided. I usual start with black and paste my newly photographed coin on to that background, then it´s only a matter of clicking on a new colour when altering.

I use a light grey for my own website and FLICKR, white for FORVM and black i use for Twitter.

Stunning coins Nemo, especially your Tyrian Shekels;) +++

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 05:25:51 pm »
To my mind the easiest way to make black is to prevent light from reaching the black paper (1) background.  I do this with a dowel (2) on which the coin rests and a collar (3) of craft foam that surrounds and shades the whole thing.  I add a small white card that reflects a bit of light on the bottom edge to separate the coin from the background.  

Sure they look good with silver but I have no problems with my results on bronzes either.  The Constantius II below lacks the reflector strip (4) and you can see the lack of separation compared to the Republican semis.  You can adjust the amount of separation by changing the card from white to gray or by limiting the amount of card that sticks up above the black foam.  The double goat Philip V has what I consider a bit too much white line at the bottom so the card should have been pushed down a bit.  Reflectors do no good on some coins that lack a taper on the edge.  The Castulo below shows good separation on the tapered reverse but the flat was sharper edged on the obverse so no amount of light can brighten what is not there.

Coin photography is a separate hobby just like collecting coins, cleaning coins and coin investing.  You can put a lot of study and practice into it or you can just take what you get.  I prefer black backgrounds but do try to do some whites on coins that resist black.  People who print paper prints on a home printer may want white to save on the ink used for all that background.  I get my prints made at Costco where the photo is the same price if solid white or solid black.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:31:54 pm »
Hi Doug,

I absolutely agree with you..

and congratulation your nice explanation.. +++

p.s.

I used so many time your web pages...

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery