Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Preserving the coins with broken patina  (Read 1116 times)

Offline vs1969

• Consul
Preserving the coins with broken patina
« on: November 19, 2015, 07:43:45 am »
Over time, I have got some coins with broken patina at the edges and limestone-like substance in the open, like the below Trajan and Nerva sestertii.  In addition to them being visually somehow disturbing, I have some concerns regarding possible further peeling off the patina, actually, while inspecting the Trajan sestertius recently, I have noticed something resembling the extra patina-free spot.

So my question is: could anyone suggest some measures to protect these problematic areas? Like applying some wax or some other substance?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Preserving the coins with broken patina
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 03:15:14 pm »
I have applied some Renn Wax to a few coins like that.  I brushed them first with a very soft nylon brush and then a silver brush. 

I don't think it actually help affix the patina but it is mainly to reduce friction if I handle it.

It seems to have worked a bit for me but I can't guarantee it.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline vs1969

• Consul
Re: Preserving the coins with broken patina
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 06:18:34 pm »
Thank you very much for the advice!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity