Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Photographing half a coin  (Read 1688 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Photographing half a coin
« on: November 09, 2015, 10:01:01 pm »
My evening has been consumed working on a photo that  eventually will be added to my web page on fourrees.  The coin is a cut half of an Athens New Style tetradrachm (Svoronos plate 50 18-27).  The coin has previously appeared on Reid Goldsborough's excellent discussion of fourree owls.  I will have to work on what I want to say about the coin some other night.  Lighting this to show the 'evidence' was more work than I first thought.  These are focus stacks using CombineZ freeware.  

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Photographing half a coin
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:39:30 pm »
 +++ Fantastic, Doug!  Beautifully detailed with three-dimensional depth of field. That's a great way to display a cut fourree, and proves the usefulness of focus stacks. 

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 11:00:09 pm »
Extraordinary. Exceptionally well done!
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 01:30:38 am »
Simply perfect  +++ +++ +++

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 05:56:28 pm »
It is a great photo and I don't want to be a spoilsport. However, I would have had great trouble telling what coin type it was, from the way the pictures are angled. This surely doesn't matter much if you're just illustrating what a silver plated forgery looks like but somehow it just doesn't feel right to llok at a coin and not be able to tell what it is.
Andreas Reich

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 06:39:29 pm »
Perhaps I am influenced by knowing in advance but I found it obvious. Below is the same coin with flat on images of the two sides.  Does it look better in this regard or is it perhaps being only half a coin the problem?  This version does little for the details of the cut which allow such things as reading the direction and numbers of cuts.  Perhaps I should have shown both from the start.  I am not familiar enough with the type to say how far this is from official style and the coin can not be IDed with the third magistrate being entirely on the other side.  The coin is NOT a die duplicate of any of the coins I have seen (Svoronos plate 50, 18-27) and there is enough variation in them that I have no idea how to guess what is missing here. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 07:18:09 pm »
The first photo better displays the cut, and the second photo better displays the devices of the coin. Which is better depends on the purpose for sharing the photo.  If the photo is to illustrate a discussion of fourrees or cuts then the first is best (presumably accompanied by a description of the coin type). If the purpose is to discuss (or sell) the cut coin, then the second photo would be best. Personally, I found the first photo much more numismatically interesting.

Offline swampaggie

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 09:40:00 pm »
Beautiful photography and use of Z stacks, Doug!  I would suggest merging all into one image as if one is slowly rotating the coin from one side to the other in their hand.
Jeremy

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 02:40:27 pm »
Thank you, good idea.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 11:28:02 pm »
The coin has been added to my Favorites page as a supporting player to my other fourree owl along with my version of the flipover group as suggested by swampaggie.  Thanks again!
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/f57.html

All coins are guaranteed for eternity