Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: How many coins per page? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: How many coins per page in my website?
One   -1 (7.7%)
Multiple (approximately 10)   -12 (92.3%)
Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: How many coins per page?  (Read 1126 times)
Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« on: November 03, 2015, 01:15:52 am »

Hi folks,

This is a companion thread to my website help thread.

In that thread, with regard to my website, there was some controversy over whether I should have one coin per page or multiple (approximately 10) coins per page. In the "multiple" option, for example, all of my Arpi coins would be on one page.

People must realize that, for some cities, I have only 1 or 2 coins. And I will probably merge them all onto one page if I go with the "multiple" option. For example, for Apulia, I have 3 Arpi coins, 1 Caelia coin, 1 Hyrium coin, 3 Luceria coins, 2 Salapia coins, 2 Teate coins, and 1 Venusia coin. I may merge all of them together on 2 pages titled "Apulia, Arpi - Luceria" and "Apulia, Salapia - Venusia". It works out to about 7-10 coins per page.

For Bruttium, it will be closer to average (10 coins per page) because I have more coins per city.

For Campania, I will have the opposite problem. I have too many coins per city. And I will probably have to split a city between multiple pages. For example, I have about 40-50 Neapolis silver coins and about 30-40 Neapolis bronze coins. In order to have approximately 10 coins per page, I will probably have to split that city between numerous pages (part 1, part 2, part 3,.....part 7, part 8, etc.).

Unless I just abandon that whole "approximately 10 coins per page" rule. But if I do that, please be advised that my Neapolis page may have 70-100 coins in it. And there is a strong possibility that the number may grow significantly over the years because Neapolis (and Campania in general) is one of my collecting areas. 10-20 years form now, I could potentially have 150-200 Neapolis coins - all on one page!!! So, I think I need to set a limit per page.

Coming into this, my plan was to have multiple (approximately 10) coins per page, sort of like Nick's MFB website, but with less coins per page. But then I saw Pete's website (one coin per page), and I liked the layout of it. So, I changed my mind and went with one coin per page. Having one coin per page has one tremendous advantage. If people are discussing a coin in Forum, I can provide a link to that page. If I have 10 coins on that page, the viewer will have to look through 10 coins to find the one I am referring to. This may be especially problematic for a newbie.

However, some members feel that having multiple coins per page is better than having one coin per page. It will be easier for me when uploading (less pages and less work). And in some ways, it will be easier for viewers (less pages and links to navigate through).

Some members expressed their opinions in my companion thread. But some posters weren't clear. And some members waffled and were ambiguous and/or contradictory. So, I'd like to crystallize it here in this poll thread.

What is your opinion? One coin per page? Or multiple coins per page?

Please let me know what you think.

Meepzorp

Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 02:00:21 am »

Multiple (I voted). Given you've multiple pictures per coin I'd probably set an upper limit of about 20 coins, and force splits on that basis. So you could maybe divide Naples into 4 pages using some logic. Practical limits of navigating WebPages means when you exceed about 100 images it's very difficult to remember what was at the top and scrolling up becomes tedious. Below 50 images and its easy. You've got a picture pair and a tag pair per coin (typically). So somewhere in the range 5-20 coins will likely be comfortable. Which I guess means 'about 10'. But there may be rare cases when you stretch to 25+ and others where you've got 1.

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

My defeat, if understood, should be my glory

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 05:48:16 am »

I vote multiple as well.  I agree with Andrew to establish a limit.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 07:14:41 am »

The Forum shop catalog offers options 1, 3, 10, 25 or 50 coins, and also the option of images and descriptions (detail view) or thumbnail images only (gallery view). Regardless of the option selected, you can click on a coin image to see just the one coin on a page with a larger image and detailed description.

Unfortunately, this requires some complex code (more complex than I ever learned to do). There might be some shareware or freeware code out there with options. I don't know. It might be worth taking a little time looking around just to see what is available.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
quadrans
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 07:59:06 am »

I also voted multiple but not more than 20 or 25

Q.

PeterD
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

omnium curiositatum explorator

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 09:13:07 am »

I would give a qualified yes to multiple coin pages. As it stands on the pages that you have done, the labels take up too much room. When you have multiple coins on a page it will become a bit confusing and overwhelming. I think that the label pictures should be much smaller. Also if you cropped the coin pictures tight up, almost to the edge of the coin, you could make those pictures smaller.

I do think that a simple table to hold the pictures would be useful. You would only need to make one table for the first coin. Thereafter, you only need to copy that section, paste it below and simply alter the text and file names.

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context http://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia
Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 11:01:05 am »

...the labels take up too much room. When you have multiple coins on a page it will become a bit confusing and overwhelming. I think that the label pictures should be much smaller.

Hi Pete,

I think that's a good idea. Two people suggested this to me in my companion thread, and I agreed to do that.

Is 250 x 250 or 200 x 200 a good size for the label photos?

Meepzorp

Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 11:03:13 am »

I do think that a simple table to hold the pictures would be useful. You would only need to make one table for the first coin. Thereafter, you only need to copy that section, paste it below and simply alter the text and file names.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't know if I want to open that whole can of worms.

Meepzorp

Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 11:09:45 am »

Hi folks,

Okay, it seems like everyone prefers the "multiple" option. I think I'll do that.

But one question (which I sort of alluded to above):

What about situations where I have only one coin for a particular city? Is it effective to have a page just for that one coin? Or should I merge those coins with other cities? For example, should I merge my one Caelia coin and one Hyrium coin with Arpi and Luceria to create an "Apulia, Arpi - Luceria" page? That will give me 7-10 coins per page.

Meepzorp

PeterD
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 11:56:04 am »

Quote from: Meepzorp on November 03, 2015, 11:01:05 am
...the labels take up too much room. When you have multiple coins on a page it will become a bit confusing and overwhelming. I think that the label pictures should be much smaller.

Hi Pete,

I think that's a good idea. Two people suggested this to me in my companion thread, and I agreed to do that.

Is 250 x 250 or 200 x 200 a good size for the label photos?

Meepzorp

If you make them 166x166 then you can fit 3 label photos in the 500 width of 2 coin photos. Or maybe even 125x125 and get 4 in. Experiment and see if you can read the labels still. You don't need to change the photos themselves -just change the sizes in the IMG tags.

Peter

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context http://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia
PeterD
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 12:05:50 pm »

Quote from: Meepzorp on November 03, 2015, 11:03:13 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't know if I want to open that whole can of worms.

Meepzorp

It's really quite simple. I'm not very familiar with HTML-kit, I only downloaded it as a result of these discussions, but it should be able to create a table for you. And as I said before, you only need to do this once as you can copy the same code over and over. It would alleviate the problem of photos appearing in the wrong place on different computer screens.

Peter

Peter, London

areich
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 01:05:14 pm »

There are several online table generators that will generatte the html code for a table of the size you specify, you only need to fill the cells with text and images.

For example, this site:
http://www.tablesgenerator.com/html_tables#

generates a table with 4 rows and 3 columns:

Code:
<style type="text/css">
.tg  {border-collapse:collapse;border-spacing:0;}
.tg td{font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;padding:10px 5px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;overflow:hidden;word-break:normal;}
.tg th{font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:normal;padding:10px 5px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;overflow:hidden;word-break:normal;}
.tg .tg-yw4l{vertical-align:top}
</style>
<table class="tg">
  <tr>
    <th class="tg-yw4l"></th>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td class="tg-yw4l"></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
</table>
You can generate tables of any size you want.

This one:
http://www.rapidtables.com/web/tools/html-table-generator.htm

even allows you to fill the cells with text.

I think tables might not be "state of the art" anymore but if it works...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: How many coins per page? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop