Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: Who runs Classicaleconomies.com 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who runs Classicaleconomies.com  (Read 865 times)
helvetica
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia

« on: October 26, 2015, 06:38:21 pm »

Does anyone know who is charge of http://classicaleconomies.com/ ?
There is no contact address anywhere on the website despite him/her writing
"Please feel free to contact me about my collection; any comments
or suggestions are welcome!"
I looked at the source code of several pages but there is no help there
either, no name etc, and a whois lookup told me that the address is
Registrant Name: PRIVATE REGISTRANT
Registrant Organization: A HAPPY DREAMHOST CUSTOMER
and the semi-coded email address through their proxy mail server bounces.
The address which a whois lookup gives me, in Breda CA 92821, is actually
the address (and phone number) of dreamhost itself.
Does anybody know a contact address ? One of his (outdated) wildwinds links has been
generating 404 errors for 6 years and I would like to ask for its removal.
Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:06:14 am »

Does anyone know who is charge of http://classicaleconomies.com/ ?
There is no contact address anywhere on the website despite him/her writing
"Please feel free to contact me about my collection; any comments
or suggestions are welcome!"
I looked at the source code of several pages but there is no help there
either, no name etc, and a whois lookup told me that the address is
Registrant Name: PRIVATE REGISTRANT
Registrant Organization: A HAPPY DREAMHOST CUSTOMER
and the semi-coded email address through their proxy mail server bounces.
The address which a whois lookup gives me, in Breda CA 92821, is actually
the address (and phone number) of dreamhost itself.
Does anybody know a contact address ? One of his (outdated) wildwinds links has been
generating 404 errors for 6 years and I would like to ask for its removal.

I don't know the answer but I do recall looking at the site and attempting to find an owner a year ago when we made a number of regular Forum website awards and attempted to collate a list of sites for an annual award. The latter wasn't successful for exactly these sort of reasons. All decent non-commercial numismatic websites are nowadays hosted by forumancientcoins.com or by ancients.info. Anything else was either (a) commercial with a thin veneer of numismatic content (pics of coins of the 12 Caesars with links to buy LRBs), or (b) commercial without any veneer, or (c) orphaned / dead / unmaintained, or (d) was an academic / university site that wouldn't agree to host a logo or (e) a discussion site in another language that competed with Forum or (f) an anonymous blog. In fact most of the sites which were not hosted by Forum or by ancients.info had no colophon - no contact details or owner information at all, so were immediately ineligible. It was like dredging through thick mud trying to find diamonds and only coming across an occasional rusty nail. And we really tried hard, three months searching by a big enough team. The web has changed a lot since 1995 but in ways we wouldn't have thought - far fewer but much larger websites, and those websites hosted by a very few aggregators. Less diverse. Back to your question, did you consider that it may be google indexing that's giving the 404's and not actual humans?

helvetica
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 08:08:18 am »

All decent non-commercial numismatic websites are nowadays hosted by forumancientcoins.com or by ancients.info. Anything else was either (a) commercial with a thin veneer of numismatic content (pics of coins of the 12 Caesars with links to buy LRBs), or (b) commercial without any veneer, or (c) orphaned / dead / unmaintained, or (d) was an academic / university site that wouldn't agree to host a logo or (e) a discussion site in another language that competed with Forum or (f) an anonymous blog.

Ummm, where does wildwinds.com fit in ?
a) With an income of about $200 per year but server costs being a high multiple of that, you can't call it commercial.
b) commercial without any veneer - not that either
c) I work on wildwinds every day, 365 days a year, adding coins manually in html, not hoovering them up like some databases do, so not that either
d) academic / university site - nope
e) nope
f) nope.

So it seems that wildwinds is unique  laugh

PS I found the owner of Classicaleconomies, thanks MF !
Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 09:10:12 am »

All decent non-commercial numismatic websites are nowadays hosted by forumancientcoins.com or by ancients.info. Anything else was either (a) commercial with a thin veneer of numismatic content (pics of coins of the 12 Caesars with links to buy LRBs), or (b) commercial without any veneer, or (c) orphaned / dead / unmaintained, or (d) was an academic / university site that wouldn't agree to host a logo or (e) a discussion site in another language that competed with Forum or (f) an anonymous blog.

Ummm, where does wildwinds.com fit in ?
a) With an income of about $200 per year but server costs being a high multiple of that, you can't call it commercial.
b) commercial without any veneer - not that either
c) I work on wildwinds every day, 365 days a year, adding coins manually in html, not hoovering them up like some databases do, so not that either
d) academic / university site - nope
e) nope
f) nope.

So it seems that wildwinds is unique  laugh

PS I found the owner of Classicaleconomies, thanks MF !

Hi Dane

I meant collector sites! Wildwinds in my mind counts as a sort of academic site. It's above all these. But try think of other large non-commercial independent sites. Very very few. In fact wildwinds is a symptom of what I described - one very large site that now covers so much ground that it would be difficult for a new website developer to make something as good.

There are very few new ideas in numismatic websites. That's why it's been practically impossible to run a competition with no competitors. Liv Yarrow's Brooklyn blog last year, and Meepzorps paranumismatica site plan were/are genuinely new, but aside from these?

Andrew

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: Who runs Classicaleconomies.com « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop