Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very rare Gordianus III. suberatus denarius with FELICITAS PVBLICA reverse  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Tibsi

• Caesar
    • http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=11846
By my informations 4 specimens are known only.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
I was wholly unaware that anyone was doing a census of plated coins.  What is the source of the four number?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I don't doubt that this is just an ancient counterfeiter's hybrid of an obv. of Gordian III and a rev. of Julia Mamaea, but the coin made its way into Cohen 79 (Kolb) as a normal issue, and was accordingly taken over by RIC 128, though with a footnote that Pink considered it false.

I suppose there may be numismatists tracking such pieces, possibly in the hope that a solid silver specimen will turn up, proving that the type is regular after all. A fruitless search, I fear!

If someone can find the corresponding aureus too, then the question would require reconsideration!
Curtis Clay

Offline Tibsi

• Caesar
    • http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=11846
I was wholly unaware that anyone was doing a census of plated coins.  What is the source of the four number?

I know the biggest collectors of Gordian III. Pieces of unkown collections are "dead" for the numismatic community.

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I actually try to keep track of plated Othos. One type I know from four specimens minted with the same dies, with a typical IMP OTHO obverse and a Victory reverse (RIC 16) only ever coupled with IMP M OTHO obverses in genuine coins. Three of these coins have a probably genuine provinence: Spain, England and Bulgaria. Both dies appear to be based on real ones.
Jyrki Muona

All coins are guaranteed for eternity