Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266560 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #1275 on: May 02, 2021, 04:58:16 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 6 sub-par (blurry) Roman Imperial photos:

Constantius II - Valens

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #1276 on: May 02, 2021, 09:13:14 am »
Do you know the total number of coins you have listed?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1277 on: May 02, 2021, 11:09:33 pm »
Hi Joe,

No, I don't know. Why are you asking?

However, I do know how many website pages I have. It is exactly 553 pages, including "home" pages (pages that don't have any coins listed and simply direct you to another page via a menu).

Based on that number, I can approximate the total number of coins I have listed. Each page contains 1-8 coins. Most pages contain 3-4 coins. A rough estimate would be 3.5 coins per page. If you deduct all of my home/menu pages that don't have any coins listed, I have approximately 540 website pages with coins listed in them. At a rough average of 3.5 coins per page, that comes out to approximately 1,900 coins listed. That makes sense because, even before doing the calculations, I assumed that the total number would be approximately that amount.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #1278 on: May 03, 2021, 06:26:11 am »
I was just curious. You have an big collection! Thanks for taking the time to put them online.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1279 on: May 03, 2021, 12:20:46 pm »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the message.

Giving my website a quick glance, I didn't realize how many of my pages actually have more than 3-4 coins per page. So, that would raise the average number of coins per page to approximately 4 or possibly even more. As a result, that would mean that my total number of coins listed would actually be 2,000 or more. For several years (like when my relative ask me, for example), I suspected that the total number of coins was approximately that amount.

And I still have more coins and medals/medallions to post in my website in sections I haven't created yet.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1280 on: May 03, 2021, 12:32:01 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 11 sub-par (blurry) Roman Imperial photos:

Constantius II - Leo I

Regarding my AE 4 coins in my last page, I decided to leave the photos small (by not cropping them so much) so as not to make them blurry. These coins are very small, and my previous photos (that I swapped out today) were very blurry. By keeping them small, I made the photos sharper and much less blurry.

I am not pleased with the way my Valentinian III photos turned out. That coin is also an AE 4, but it is larger than the other AE 4 coins in that page. Maybe I will re-shoot that coin later today or tomorrow and not crop it so much. I am undecided. What do other Forum members think? Is it too blurry?

The last 2 coins in that page are pedigreed coins from the Lindgren collection. I purchased them from Mr. Lindgren before he passed away.

Otherwise, I am all done swapping out my sub-par (blurry) Roman Imperial photos, and I can move on to my next section.

Meepzorp

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #1281 on: May 03, 2021, 08:38:03 pm »
The photos of the AE4's are probably as good as they can get. They're impossible little devils.
Best
Larry

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1282 on: May 03, 2021, 09:11:31 pm »
Hi lc,

Thank you for the feedback.

Yes, you are 100% correct. They are little itty bitty tiny coins, especially the first and last coins in my last page.

And I am using an old iPhone 4 that is probably 10 years old or more. From what I have heard, the newer generation iPhones have better cameras. For some reason, those small coins give my old iPhone 4 fits. It really struggles with small coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1283 on: May 03, 2021, 09:13:45 pm »
Hi folks,

I just swapped out my Valentinian III photos (again!!!). Because it is a small coin, I didn't crop the photos as much.

I am now finally done swapping out my sub-par (blurry) Roman Imperial photos.

Meepzorp

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #1284 on: May 04, 2021, 12:27:03 am »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1285 on: May 04, 2021, 04:26:43 am »
Hi folks,

I had only one Byzantine coin where my photos were blurry. It is a Heraclius coin, the last one in that page. I just swapped out my 2 photos of it. As with my small AE 4 Roman coins, I didn't crop my Heraclius photos as much because it is also a small coin.

I also edited the text description for that coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1286 on: May 04, 2021, 04:38:13 am »
Huge collection

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the message.

This is what happens when someone has no life. :)

I would have traded all of this to have led a normal life, but that wasn't "in the stars" for me. I am trying to make the best of the bad hand I was dealt in life. It turned out that ancient coins were my "outlet" and my "passion". If someone would have told me this back when I was 20 years old, and in college, and still healthy (before being stricken with my illness when I was 22 years old, which SEVERELY altered my life path and turned my entire world upside-down), I never would have believed them. When I was 20 years old, I never imagined that my life would turn out this way.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #1287 on: May 04, 2021, 07:12:37 am »
I am sorry your health has taken much from you, but I am glad you found something you enjoy.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #1288 on: May 04, 2021, 08:33:06 am »
+1 to what Joe said.

Most of us didn't end up where we thought we'd be, for various reasons.  It's a cliche, but take those lemons and make lemonade.  Some of us have more lemons unfortunately.  Just gotta keep squeezing...

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1289 on: May 05, 2021, 06:13:11 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one coin to each of my following website pages:

Roman Provincial, Phrygia, Bruzos (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_phrygia_bruz_eucarp.htm

Roman Provincial, Thrace, Hadrianopolis, Part 1 (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_thrace_hadr_pt01.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them yesterday.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1290 on: May 05, 2021, 06:15:28 am »
Hi Joe and Jay,

Thanks for the messages.

And Jay, you are correct about the lemons. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #1291 on: May 05, 2021, 09:11:51 pm »
Meep - such an impressive collection, forgive me for saying the coins deserve more than iphone photography.  Have you considered a decent digital camera and macro lens?  Compared to what you have invested in your collection, it would be a pittance to take the photos you obviously enjoy taking.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1292 on: May 06, 2021, 04:25:05 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 4 sub-par (blurry) Medieval Italy photos:

Ancona - Capua

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1293 on: May 06, 2021, 04:44:45 am »
Hi RC2,

Thanks for the message.

At this point, it would be too much time and trouble to go back and re-shoot all of my photos. There may be more than 10,000 photos. I began this project in 2012. That was 9 years ago. And I began my website (which is Phase III of my project) in 2015. That was 6 years ago. I would like to get this project finished so that I can get on with my life. This entire project, including my website, has consumed too many years of my life already. When I first began this phase of my project (my website), I thought it would take 6 months. Here I am, 6 years later, and there is no end in sight.

I know that you are relatively new to Forum. You weren't active when I began this project all those years ago. Coming into this project, it was never my intention to shoot auction quality photos. I just wanted to shoot decent photos for educational purposes, for the purpose of documenting my collection in the event of loss or theft, and maybe for posterity purposes (possibly establishing a pedigree after I pass away).

To be perfectly honest with you, I (along with many Forum members at that time) was shocked that my website even got off the ground and actually worked. A few Forum members at that time publicly wrote that my website would be a "train wreck" (and that is a direct quote). Considering the very low expectations of me at that time, I think it turned out very well. I am satisfied with my photos. They are good enough for me.

Meepzorp

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #1294 on: May 06, 2021, 07:49:15 pm »
Meepzorp,

I think that your website is outstanding. The photos are great and I love the pictures of the handwritten tags. It is always a treat to take a stroll through your site.

All of the best.

Tracy

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #1295 on: May 06, 2021, 08:26:14 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on May 06, 2021, 04:44:45 am
Hi RC2,

Thanks for the message.

At this point, it would be too much time and trouble to go back and re-shoot all of my photos. There may be more than 10,000 photos. I began this project in 2012. That was 9 years ago. And I began my website (which is Phase III of my project) in 2015. That was 6 years ago. I would like to get this project finished so that I can get on with my life. This entire project, including my website, has consumed too many years of my life already. When I first began this phase of my project (my website), I thought it would take 6 months. Here I am, 6 years later, and there is no end in sight.

I know that you are relatively new to Forum. You weren't active when I began this project all those years ago. Coming into this project, it was never my intention to shoot auction quality photos. I just wanted to shoot decent photos for educational purposes, for the purpose of documenting my collection in the event of loss or theft, and maybe for posterity purposes (possibly establishing a pedigree after I pass away).

To be perfectly honest with you, I (along with many Forum members at that time) was shocked that my website even got off the ground and actually worked. A few Forum members at that time publicly wrote that my website would be a "train wreck" (and that is a direct quote). Considering the very low expectations of me at that time, I think it turned out very well. I am satisfied with my photos. They are good enough for me.

Meepzorp

It's an impressive commitment to document so many coins, and if you are happy with a phone camera, then that's all that matters - not my opinion.  I actually started on FORUM in around 2002, but I went inactive around 2010 for the last few years and my old account got deleted.  My old posts were under a different user name and now they all show up as guest account posts if I search for them.  I had to re-start my gallery from scratch.  Oh well.  It was not well maintained back then anyhow :)

At some point I'll photograph the non-denarii coins I have, but to be honest, I really only care about the silvers :)
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1296 on: May 07, 2021, 03:30:37 am »
I think that your website is outstanding. The photos are great and I love the pictures of the handwritten tags. It is always a treat to take a stroll through your site.

Hi TA,

Thank you for the positive message. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1297 on: May 08, 2021, 09:59:29 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 5 sub-par (blurry) Medieval Italy photos:

Casale - Desana

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1298 on: May 10, 2021, 04:05:00 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 5 sub-par (blurry) Medieval Italy photos:

Casale - Fosdinovo

That Casale coin with the deer on the obverse gave my old iPhone 4 fits. It really struggled with the obverse. It is a small coin. Also, the obverse is flatly struck (low relief), whereas the reverse is more struck up (high relief). That is why the reverse photo is fine. I swapped out the obverse photo several times since I first posted it. I finally decided not to crop it all the way. The image is small, but it is now clearer and crisper.

I also decided not to crop one of my Desana coins all the way. That is another coin where I swapped out the photos several times since I first posted it.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1299 on: May 11, 2021, 01:46:41 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 9 sub-par (blurry) Medieval Italy photos:

Frinco - Genoa

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity