Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266387 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2015, 02:33:48 pm »
Hi folks,

I just tried something else.

I went back into Filezilla and re-connected to Joe's server. I erased the test page that Joe's webmaster had placed there.

I clicked on my website link again. The test page that Joe's webmaster had placed there is still there, after I deleted it. This is getting stranger and stranger,

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2015, 02:41:23 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 02:16:15 pm
Hi folks,

I erased my file from Joe's server.

I went into htmlkit and changed the name of the file to index.htm. I went into my hard drive and moved the file from the "recent" folder to the folder I created. I went back to Filezilla, connected to Joe's server, and dragged the index file to the right. It stated "successful transfer". It is on Joe's server.

I clicked on my website link in Forum, and it is still not working. My test home page still isn't there.

I don't know what is wrong.

I noticed one thing though. In htmlkit, I named the file "index.htm". But, in Filezilla, the file is named "index.lnk". I don't know why.

Meepzorp

As I said before, "recent" is not an actual folder, just a 'pointer' to the actual folders and files. That is why Filezilla is seeing your file as "index.lnk".

You should have created a folder for all your files on the C drive. Navigate to that folder to create, save, copy and upload (from Filezilla) your files.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2015, 02:44:30 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 02:33:48 pm
Hi folks,

I went back into Filezilla and re-connected to Joe's server. I erased the test page that Joe's webmaster had placed there.

I clicked on my website link again. The test page that Joe's webmaster had placed there is still there, after I deleted it. This is getting stranger and stranger,

Meepzorp

Just refresh your browser. I just checked. It's gone.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2015, 02:47:52 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 02:33:48 pm
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Just refresh your browser. I just checked. It's gone.

Peter

Hi Pete,

It's not gone. It is still there. At least, it is for me.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2015, 02:55:14 pm »
Hi folks,

I went into htmlkit and changed the name of the file to index.htm. I went into my hard drive and moved the file from the "recent" folder to the folder I created. I went back to Filezilla, connected to Joe's server, and dragged the index file to the right. It stated "successful transfer". It is on Joe's server.

I clicked on my website link in Forum, and it is still not working. My test home page still isn't there.

I noticed one thing though. In htmlkit, I named the file "index.htm". But, in Filezilla, the file is named "index.lnk". I don't know why.

Meepzorp

As I said before, "recent" is not an actual folder, just a 'pointer' to the actual folders and files. That is why Filezilla is seeing your file as "index.lnk".

Peter

Hi Pete,

As I explained above, htmlkit is placing my saved files in my "recent" folder. It is not placing it in any other additional folders, as my Notepad was. My Notepad was placing it in 2 folders, my "recent" folder and my "downloads" folder. But htmlkit is placing in only one folder, my "recent" folder.

How can it (the file in my "recent" folder) be "pointing" to an actual folder if that file doesn't exist in another folder? How can it be pointing to something that doesn't exist? I don't understand. I am very confused.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2015, 02:59:47 pm »
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

You should have created a folder for all your files on the C drive. Navigate to that folder to create, save, copy and upload (from Filezilla) your files.

Peter

Hi Pete,

I don't know what this means. You lost me. I can't tell you how confused I am right now.

I did create a folder on my hard drive. And I transferred my htmlkit files from my "recent" folder to that folder before trying to upload in Filezilla.

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2015, 03:09:22 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 02:55:14 pm
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Peter

Hi Pete,

As I explained above, htmlkit is placing my saved files in my "recent" folder. It is not placing it in any other additional folders, as my Notepad was. My Notepad was placing it in 2 folders, my "recent" folder and my "downloads" folder. But htmlkit is placing in only one folder, my "recent" folder.

How can it (the file in my "recent" folder) be "pointing" to an actual folder if that file doesn't exist in another folder? How can it be pointing to something that doesn't exist? I don't understand. I am very confused.

Meepzorp

YOU decide where a file goes, not Htmlkit, Notepad or any other program. When you save a file, navigate to the folder you want to save it in. When you open a file or upload it navigate to the correct directory. Forget the "recent" folder.

Don't worry about the 'test' file you erased. When you manage to upload your home page, that is all you will see.

Peter
Peter, London

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2015, 03:26:18 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 02:55:14 pm
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Peter

Hi Pete,

Meepzorp

YOU decide where a file goes, not Htmlkit, Notepad or any other program. When you save a file, navigate to the folder you want to save it in. When you open a file or upload it navigate to the correct directory. Forget the "recent" folder.

Don't worry about the 'test' file you erased. When you manage to upload your home page, that is all you will see.

Peter

Hi Pete,

I didn't know that.

I went back into htmlkit. I saved the file directly to the folder I created. But it saved the file the same way. When I went back into Filezilla, the file is still listed as index.lnk, not index.htm.

What am I doing wrong?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2015, 03:50:51 pm »
Hi folks,

I went back into htmlkit again. I tried again. I repeated what I did before. This time, it worked. I don't understand it because I did the exact same thing.

It saved the file as index.htm, and it saved it to the folder I created on my hard drive.

I went into Filezilla. It was listed there as index.htm. I dragged it over to the right. The transfer was successful.

But, for some reason, my test home page still isn't there. It is still not working.

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2015, 04:18:47 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 03:50:51 pm
Hi folks,

I went back into htmlkit again. I tried again. I repeated what I did before. This time, it worked. I don't understand it because I did the exact same thing.

It saved the file as index.htm, and it saved it to the folder I created on my hard drive.

I went into Filezilla. It was listed there as index.htm. I dragged it over to the right. The transfer was successful.

But, for some reason, my test home page still isn't there. It is still not working.

Meepzorp

It's there!  +++

You just need click the refresh button on your browser.

Peter
Peter, London

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2015, 04:24:24 pm »
Yep.
PeteB

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2015, 04:30:05 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2015, 04:42:54 pm »
  +++  Well done, Meep!! You're on your way now. :laugh:

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2015, 04:51:18 pm »
Awesome!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2015, 11:07:48 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 03:50:51 pm
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

It's there!  +++

You just need click the refresh button on your browser.

Peter

Hi Pete and folks,

I did click the refresh button on my browser. In fact, I clicked it numerous times. It still wasn't there.

I waited quite a while (maybe 20-30 minutes or so), clicked the refresh button a few more times, and it still wasn't there.

I just checked it now (a few hours later). Now, it is there. It appears to be working.

Apparently, I  must wait for it to appear. Is there some sort of delay between the point where I upload and the point where it actually appears? If yes, what is that delay?

Is that delay variable for different members? The reason I am asking is that I got this impression. Earlier, when I deleted the test file that Joe's webmaster had placed there, other members (including Pete) were seeing it as being gone long before I was. For me, I was still seeing the test page that Joe's webmaster had placed there long after I deleted it and uploaded my own test page. Other members were seeing the changes I made long before I was, despite the fact that I clicked the refresh button numerous times. That's why I am asking if there is a variable delay.

I assume that I must deal with this delay every time I upload a page? If true, how can I check for errors?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2015, 11:19:32 pm »
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Meepzorp/

Something is there...

Hi Joe,

Yes, I see it now. Apparently, as I explained above, there is some sort of delay. And that delay appears to be rather long. As I explained above, I waited approximately 20-30 minutes and clicked my refresh button numerous times. And it still wasn't there.

And that delay appears to be variable because other members were seeing it long before I was, despite the fact that I clicked my refresh button numerous times for about 20-30 minutes.

But it is there now. And that "something" is my test page that I created. So, it appears to be working.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2015, 11:20:16 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on October 30, 2015, 04:42:54 pm
  +++  Well done, Meep!! You're on your way now. :laugh:

Hi Cara,

Thank you. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2015, 11:20:56 pm »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2015, 11:27:05 pm »
Hi folks,

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me through this phase (or "leg") of my journey. I really appreciate all of the advice. I couldn't have done it without your help.

Believe it or not, writing the actual html code was the easy part. It literally took me less than 20 minutes to write the code (from scratch) for that entire test web home page.

The hard part was trying to figure out how to save it properly (in the proper hard drive folder) and then upload it. That took me 4 hours.

Now, I need to figure out how to upload photos and links.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2015, 11:58:48 pm »
Hi folks,

I just noticed something. Maybe there isn't a delay after all.

When I uploaded the website file to Joe's server earlier today (several hours ago), my computer was under my niece as user (because she is the "primary user" or "admin" for this computer).

When I just checked a few minutes ago to see if my test home page uploaded, the computer was under me. It appeared to be working.

I just switched users. I am now under my niece again. I just checked my website. I am still seeing the test page that Joe's webmaster had placed there. My page that I uploaded isn't there.

What is going on? Why can I see it when the computer is under me but not when the computer is under my niece?

By the way, I explained above (in earlier posts in this thread) why I had to go under my niece to do all of this. My computer will let me access certain hard drive functions only if the computer is under her. If it is under me, it won't let me perform certain functions - I assume because I am listed as a "secondary user".

This is very strange.

Can anyone explain this?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2015, 02:04:31 am »
Hi folks,

I added some "bells and whistles" (links, etc.) to my website. Feel free to test them out. Let me know what you think.

I haven't added any photos yet.

How do I obtain the file name (including jpeg) of my photos so that I can add it to the code?

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2015, 05:38:31 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 11:58:48 pm
When I just checked a few minutes ago to see if my test home page uploaded, the computer was under me. It appeared to be working.

I just switched users. I am now under my niece again. I just checked my website. I am still seeing the test page that Joe's webmaster had placed there. My page that I uploaded isn't there.

What is going on?

Did you Refresh the page? The old Forum page might cached. Each account will have its own browser settings and caches.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2015, 06:12:00 am »
Hi folks,

I added photos to my first web page. I think that page is done.

I made the photos 500 x 500. Is that okay?

Let me know what you think.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2015, 06:13:40 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 30, 2015, 11:58:48 pm

What is going on?

Did you Refresh the page? The old Forum page might cached. Each account will have its own browser settings and caches.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I refreshed the page numerous times.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2015, 06:50:55 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 31, 2015, 06:12:00 am
Hi folks,

I added photos to my first web page. I think that page is done.

I made the photos 500 x 500. Is that okay?

Let me know what you think.

Meepzorp

Yep. Size and link and logic and way you show flips all work perfectly.

Even though you're limited for the moment in camera quality (until you get a better one), you could easily enhance the photos you have using Photofiltre (free version) - the autoadjust settings in Photofiltre wil make everything much clearer.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity