Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Board Image Showing in Recent Additions  (Read 2289 times)

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Board Image Showing in Recent Additions
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:10:10 am »
This is weird.  Notice the coin as a new addition in screenshot.  It's the obvious fake retrograde N that I poosted from a 2009 auction a few days ago.  I'm on my iPad and sometimes experience odd graphics caching issues on this website, but was this coin really in the Forvm coin shop?  You can see that I was even on this thread when it was displaying!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 01:55:21 pm »
That is the exact same photo as in the thread above. I have never had the coin and it was never in recent additions. If you look at the coin photos in the screenshot, the Forum photos are compressed for fast loading. Any zoom and they get very mushy.  The Pompey coin photo stays sharp because it is not compressed.  Not sure what is going on here.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 02:04:29 pm »
Depending on the device I'm using, sometimes coins posted in threads appear in the shop and vice versa.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 02:07:32 pm »
Just sent Sorin a link to this thread.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 02:13:51 pm »
I had this happen to me in the past and I posted about it.  But it hasn't happened in a very long time to me.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 02:37:23 pm »
I could understand it if the files had the same name. I don't believe there is anything in our code that a browser should legitimately interpret this way. 

Please let me know what device, operating system and browser you are using if this happens again.

I have never had the problem, perhaps because I have my browser cache sized at zero. I have a fast enough connection that I don't want to see old versions of anything to make loading faster. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 03:00:52 pm »
It happens on iPhone 4S and iPhone 6 using safari, but never on chrome on my desktop.  It is more frequent if the loading is slow or my connection poor.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 03:01:46 am »
I occasionally have the same problem when browsing on my iPhone 6+ using safari.... Sometimes members avatars appear in the shop images also...  And occasionally pictures posted in the thread appear instead of avatars... It's pretty random but seems to be restricted to mobile browsing.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 08:08:55 am »
Sorin updated the board software and php software.  We are looking to see if this is a known issue for Safari and if there is a solution.  

I split this problem into a new topic because it isn't really related to the original poster's topic.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: Board Image Showing in Recent Additions
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 02:12:36 pm »
I notice there is only 3 columns of coins instead of the usual 4. Do some only see 3? I always have 4.

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »
I have 8 colums of coins  :P

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 04:45:55 pm »
I guess it obviously depends on screen size or resolution.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 08:33:08 am »
This is not a problem with Forum. This is a known Safari issue and can happen on any website. It can only occur if you visit the site more than once in a relatively short period. As Molinari noted above, it will probably only happen with a slow or bad internet connection. Safari uses a capability called HTTP pipelining, which is intended to speed website loading by uploading multiple things at the same time. Unfortunately, when the connection is poor it can confuse an image from its cache with another image and display it in the wrong place. This is not something Forum can fix.

The following is from a tech blog website:  http://tech.vg.no/2011/12/14/safari-on-ios-5-randomly-switches-images/:

Since the release of iOS 5 we’ve received several bug reports about images randomly displaying the wrong image(s) on our front page for smartphones. It seems to be completely random and could affect any of the images, anywhere and anyhow. During one week we would receive anywhere between two and ten reports about this error. In the same time period we would do about 4.5 million page impressions (2.9 million of them from iPhone) on the front alone....Safari is the only browser to use a capability called HTTP pipelining.  HTTP Pipelining enables the browser to send several HTTP requests on the same connection before receiving the responses. It can even send new requests while still receiving an earlier response. Pipelining is still pretty new; Opera was the only browser that enabled it by default, Firefox have support that’s disabled and Chrome will support it in Chrome 17...What Safari does is that all the image(s) that are requested in the middle of a response end up containing the image currently being transferred. It also uses the cache headers of the same image that's being transferred, so if the cache headers (Expires/Etag) allows it, Safari will keep this image (with the wrong content), but with the right filename. Therefore a “soft” refresh without emptying the cache will still display the wrong image...There is no solution yet.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity