Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Potamikon  (Read 18106 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Potamikon
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2016, 02:41:01 pm »
Thank you for the endorsement!  The book wouldn't be half as good had you not read so many of my drafts!

Online Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2016, 03:20:05 pm »
my copy arrived yesterday and i have to say i am stunned at what a beautiful book this is, even before i opened it!
however once i did go inside i was very impressed and pleased at how easily readable Potamikon is. not at all the usual dry scholarly text, but an enjoyable stroll through an interesting landscape of history, archaeology and religious symbolism. i certainly never thought the term 'MFB' would be a part of my everyday lexicon.
who knew learning could be so much fun!   ;)

congratulations to Nick and Nico for adding something valuable to the catalog of numismatic literature, very much appreciated!

~ Peter

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2016, 07:18:47 pm »

My bound copy arrived today!!! Wow, certainly fast from England - via DHL..

c.rhodes

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 08:10:04 pm »
my copy arrived yesterday and i have to say i am stunned at what a beautiful book this is, even before i opened it!
however once i did go inside i was very impressed and pleased at how easily readable Potamikon is. not at all the usual dry scholarly text, but an enjoyable stroll through an interesting landscape of history, archaeology and religious symbolism. i certainly never thought the term 'MFB' would be a part of my everyday lexicon.
who knew learning could be so much fun!   ;)

congratulations to Nick and Nico for adding something valuable to the catalog of numismatic literature, very much appreciated!

~ Peter

Glad you're enjoying it, Peter!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2016, 09:08:17 am »
Dear Friends,

Special hardcover copies of Potamikon are still available at cost for a limited time.  It is $100 US shipping included ($150 worldwide, shipping included). Italian customers can contact Dr. Sisci for Italian rates. For more info on the book, see here:

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/

Nick

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2016, 09:45:56 pm »
Potamikon is a truly exceptional work. It covers everything I ever wanted to know about man-faced bulls and man-faced bull coins, and a lot I never even knew to ask. There is no equivalent book for any other ancient coin reverse type. I wish there was. It is superb.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 08:34:03 pm »
Potamikon is a truly exceptional work. It covers everything I ever wanted to know about man-faced bulls and man-faced bull coins, and a lot I never even knew to ask. There is no equivalent book for any other ancient coin reverse type. I wish there was. It is superb.

Joe, I just saw this now- Thank you for the great compliment!

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 08:50:49 pm »
You deserve every part of it.
I say who ever write a book about ancients , lucky if passed the blame.
You have got a lot of honest and from the heart , true compliments.

We are all proud of you +++
Sam Mansourati

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2017, 08:52:26 pm »
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the world.

You should click the Notify button at the top right. You will get an email when someone posts on the thread.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2017, 01:54:11 pm »
A new article in Nature confirms the distribution pattern we highlighted in Potamikon:

http://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01802-4

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2018, 06:38:00 pm »
A wonderful depiction, one for Potamikon II?   ...

River god Acheloos. Greek, 4th century BC Massive silver, H 4,7cm, L 7cm. Standing bull with bearded, human head. Small missing part on the tail, horns broken (?).
Provenance: Ex Shlomo Moussaieff Collection, 1948 - 2000, Israel. Exports from Israel with the export permit of the Israeli Antiquities Authority.
The iconography of the river god as humans-headed bull was first developed for the god of the Acheloos, the most water-rich river of Greece, which could take on all kinds of forms in allusion to the changeability of the natural river courses. First as a snake and finally as a bull, he fought against Herakles, which probably influenced the emergence of iconography. Later, however, the image-finding will also be applied to other river gods, such as Gela in the Sicilian city of Gelas. To the iconography s. LIMC I (1981) s.v. Acheloos p. 12 ff.  Silver figure of the river god Acheloos in form of an androcephal bull. Greek, 4th century B.C. Little part of the tail missing, horns probably broken.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2018, 07:48:31 pm »
Beautiful piece but the description of the myth of Acheloios needs a thorough revision!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2018, 11:26:25 am »
Hi folks,

I think that is the same statue I posted here in February:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=114587.0

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2018, 11:37:39 am »
Yes, that's the one.  I wish I could buy it.  I also think 5th century, not 4th, based on the style.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2020, 12:27:13 pm »
Revisiting an old thread because the first formal review of the book was just published.  If you are interested and have access to an academic library, it is in the journal Ancient West and East (Peeters, 2019), pages 439-441. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity