Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Maps of the Ancient World  |  Topic: A very interesting map! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A very interesting map!  (Read 5114 times)
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« on: May 19, 2015, 06:36:42 pm »

I'm just posting so this new discussion board isn't completely blank, but still click the link and I think you will agree. It is a very interesting map.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ancient-maps/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=6

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
dougsmit
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:14:39 am »

I love seeing this new section of Forvm and hope it leads eventually to more of us understanding why so many of us organize our collections in the order presented in the Sear books rather than alphabetically.  Somewhere in elementary school many of us were presented with a map of the US or the world and asked to fill in the names to match the outlines.  How many of us could take a map of the Mediterranean populated with dots indicating cities from which we, ourselves, actually own a coin and be able to add the labels?  How may of us are aware of regional identities and how they developed over the thousand years or so most of us collect?  How many of us are aware of which places regularly aligned and which were in constant conflict?   How many of us just like maps?

I look forward to future developments here. 

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:16:48 am »

Almost every time I look at one of these maps I get an "ah hah!" moment.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Akropolis
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:43:46 am »

I was surprised to see the Phrygians had settlements up there.
Live and learn!
PeteB

wileyc
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:43:26 pm »

yes I learn something every time I take a look at those.

cw

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Maps of the Ancient World  |  Topic: A very interesting map! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop