Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help! PVC Damage To Silver Denarii and Shekel! Acetone? Alcohol?  (Read 1097 times)

DitrasetMan

Friends,

I forgot about a few silver denarii and one silver shekel that I put in PVC holders 30 years ago! They are green as can be and have a greasy feel to them. Yikes!

What is the current recommendation for removing PVC damage these days? I have heard that acetone is the usual course but I have heard other recommendations also.

Should I:

(1) Let them sit in a bath of acetone for 15 minutes; or
(2) Let them sit in a bath of rubbing alcohol for 15 minutes; or
(3) Let them sit in a bath of soap and water for 15 minutes;

And, in any of the above situations, should I use a Q-tip to "whirl around" in areas where the green doesn't come off?

Lastly, in one of the silver coins, black (very very dark) spots appeared on one side of the coin instead of the usual green. Could PVC cause that as well?

Thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity