Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Photographing my coins  (Read 17797 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Photographing my coins
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 10:08:11 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on April 07, 2015, 08:15:45 am
Hi folks,

I assume that I need something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-cruzer-16gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-black/9226875.p?id=1218062423830&skuId=9226875

Meepzorp

Yes, that should do the trick.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 08:55:35 pm »
16GB is OK, but do yourself a favor and get at least a 64GB drive.   You can never have too much storage!!   

I have my entire DOCUMENTS and PHOTOS folders (32,000+ files) saved to a 128GB drive that I carry as my disaster backup.  I can also access them from any computer with a USB port

I also have everything saved on other media and some in the cloud.  FORVM's galleries are a great way to store and share your coins. 

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 11:53:19 pm »
I do not recall that a iPhone has anything but the 64?pin adapter that plugs into a USB for charging and upgrades. Plus you will need to I think??? Download to iPhoto??? Have you tested it downloading to google Picasso? I use Picasso to stitch/collage my photos. Pretty easy. I have never used my iPhones to directly Dowload to anything but iPhoto. I do email pictures and convert them to windows paint for other purposes.

Cw

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 12:26:57 am »
While the cameras on iPhones have come a long way, I think you do well to invest in even a moderately priced digital camera.....even one in the US$70-$100 range will most likely beat the pants off an iPhone's camera.  And if it allows manual adjustments to things like exposure and white balance, you're way ahead of the game as opposed to just about any cellphone's camera.

And you won't need to worry about proprietary cables and connections, as almost all have mini-USB connectors, or you can just pull out the memory card and plug it right into your PC.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 01:05:15 pm »
16GB is OK, but do yourself a favor and get at least a 64GB drive.   You can never have too much storage!!   

I have my entire DOCUMENTS and PHOTOS folders (32,000+ files) saved to a 128GB drive that I carry as my disaster backup.  I can also access them from any computer with a USB port

I also have everything saved on other media and some in the cloud.  FORVM's galleries are a great way to store and share your coins. 

Hi cmc,

Thanks for the advice. But, right now, other than my coin photos, I can't think of anything I'd want to store on a flash drive.

There is also an old saying: "Never put all your eggs in one basket". What if that one flash drive breaks?

If I need more storage in the future, I can always buy another flash drive at a later date. Why should I spend all that extra money for more storage space that I'll probably never need?

Right now, I'm leaning toward buying the 32 GB version of a USB 2.0 flash drive.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2015, 01:09:53 pm »
I do not recall that a iPhone has anything but the 64?pin adapter that plugs into a USB for charging and upgrades.

Cw

Hi wil,

My niece is always charging her iPhone at my house. She does this by plugging it into the electric wall outlet. To tell you the truth, I never looked at the charger cable. I never took an interest. But it must be a normal male electrical plug on one end. How else would she be charging it here?

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 01:12:48 pm »
It's a USB that plugs into a male-end attachment.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 01:16:30 pm »
Plus you will need to I think??? Download to iPhoto??? Have you tested it downloading to google Picasso? I use Picasso to stitch/collage my photos. Pretty easy. I have never used my iPhones to directly Dowload to anything but iPhoto. I do email pictures and convert them to windows paint for other purposes.

Cw

Hi wil,

What are iPhoto and Google Picasso? I've never heard of (or used) those things.

I've never downloaded photos using a cable. As I mentioned above, in the past, whenever I took coin photos with my niece's iPhone, she always emailed them to me. Then, I saved them to my computer's hard drive. Then, I posted them in Forum. I never had to use iPhoto or Google Picasso or anything like that. And the photos posted to Forum with no problems.

Are you implying that, if I use a cable (instead of emailing them), I'll need to add an extra step to the process?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 01:24:56 pm »
While the cameras on iPhones have come a long way, I think you do well to invest in even a moderately priced digital camera.....even one in the US$70-$100 range will most likely beat the pants off an iPhone's camera.  And if it allows manual adjustments to things like exposure and white balance, you're way ahead of the game as opposed to just about any cellphone's camera.

And you won't need to worry about proprietary cables and connections, as almost all have mini-USB connectors, or you can just pull out the memory card and plug it right into your PC.

Hi cmc,

Thank you for the suggestion.

But why should I spend money on a digital camera (even a moderately priced one) when I (technically, my niece) have a perfectly good iPhone 4 (in perfect working condition) just sitting unused? It is just going to waste. No one is using it, and they probably never will. Besides, I remember reading in the past in Forum that iPhone cameras were very good, even better than some older digital cameras. I don't have high expectations. I'm not looking for high-end auction house quality photos. I just want to document my collection with decent (but not necessarily fantastic) photos.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 01:30:57 pm »

Hi Nick,

Right. That's what I assumed it was.

But I think that wil was implying that it is a USB on one end and a 64 pin thing on the other end. How would you plug that into an electric wall outlet? Obviously, there must be at least 2 different charging cables.

Meepzorp

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 03:32:52 pm »
"Thanks for the advice. But, right now, other than my coin photos, I can't think of anything I'd want to store on a flash drive."

Maybe because you've never had one to consider what you could use it for?   ;D

"There is also an old saying: "Never put all your eggs in one basket". What if that one flash drive breaks?"

I have several of them I rotate through.  The one I carry is just to have it on my person.  I also have external drives I back up to, as well as some stuff stored in the cloud.  EVERY time I go to my safe deposit box, I also place a copy in there.....so I'm well covered.  I work in IT and have seen firsthand the results of not having data backed up.

"If I need more storage in the future, I can always buy another flash drive at a later date. Why should I spend all that extra money for more storage space that I'll probably never need?"

I have a collection of about at least a dozen thumb drives from the first one I ever bought (128KB), up to the most current one which is 128GB (and I have my eyes on a 256GB one, once the price comes down a bit more).  That's one disadvantage of not buying the largest I could at the time.  To paraphrase a common coin collecting philosophy:  "Buy the biggest you can afford."

Just things to consider........

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 06:06:32 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on April 08, 2015, 01:30:57 pm

Hi Nick,

But I think that wil was implying that it is a USB on one end and a 64 pin thing on the other end. How would you plug that into an electric wall outlet? Obviously, there must be at least 2 different charging cables.

Meepzorp

This is how you do it.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2015, 01:11:57 pm »
I've been away from my PC for about a week and as I wanted to attach a couple of pics I've waited until now to reply to this thread but I'm sure Meepzorp will still admit and consider late replies!

To start, I attach a couple of mobile phone pics of my own, of New England Masatvsets 1652 Oak Pine and Willow Tree Shillings and a Thruppence (STR collection), as illustration of the limits of mobile phone photography. These were taken with a 41 megapixel Nokia Pureview camera within a Nokia 1020, and so far as I'm aware this camera remains to date the best available on any mobile phone up to and including the iPhone 6. Even if one argues with that last point, it's difficult to imagine that an older model iPhone 4 could exceed this picture quality; at best it might match it. So one has to have reasonable expectations about what is possible.

Still assuming the iPhone 4 is the camera of choice in this case, there are a few practical considerations that will likely reduce the number of photos Meep may need to take from 8000 to 4000 to maybe 1000. That's a feasible number.

First, the simplest way to photograph reverse and obverse of the tickets is together with reverse and obverse of each coin. That has dual benefits - it reduces the number of pics by 50% and it permanently associates the tickets with the coin pictures, solving another dilemma. If one puts the tickets below the coin, one can join obv and rev coin images as usual and the tickets will appear below the image.

Second, as one can see from my pics below, it's almost inconceivable to get close enough in a mobile pic to snap just a single coin. One has to have the camera-phone at a distance from the coins that realistically allows one to photograph multiple coins at once. So, why not set up 4 coins in a row with 4 tickets below, snap them, flip them and snap again. The 8000 photos needed is now just 1000 as you are photographing eight items at once (four coins and four tickets).

Getting a rigid tripod is essential. My Mass. Shiling pics were shot with no tripod, just holding the phone in hand, but add in a tripid and the blurriness disappears.

All this said, assuming the images below are about at the limit of what one can get from a cheap mobile phone, and that Meep owns 2000 coins, why not sell 5 coins out of that 2000 and buy a simple modest camera with a macro function for say $200 and a $20 tripod. All that's been discussed on this thread is great for emergency photography when travelling, but why subject oneself to this agony when one could spend $200 (or swap out a few coins) and just have a regular camera?

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2015, 05:08:43 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on April 08, 2015, 01:30:57 pm

Hi Nick,

Meepzorp

This is how you do it.

Hi Pete,

So, the charger cable (without the adapter on the end) is the cable I need?

My niece told me that she already found the charger cable. That means she found the cable I need. Right?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2015, 05:11:47 pm »
I've been away from my PC for about a week and as I wanted to attach a couple of pics I've waited until now to reply to this thread but I'm sure Meepzorp will still admit and consider late replies!

To start, I attach a couple of mobile phone pics of my own, of New England Masatvsets 1652 Oak Pine and Willow Tree Shillings and a Thruppence (STR collection), as illustration of the limits of mobile phone photography. These were taken with a 41 megapixel Nokia Pureview camera within a Nokia 1020, and so far as I'm aware this camera remains to date the best available on any mobile phone up to and including the iPhone 6. Even if one argues with that last point, it's difficult to imagine that an older model iPhone 4 could exceed this picture quality; at best it might match it. So one has to have reasonable expectations about what is possible.

Still assuming the iPhone 4 is the camera of choice in this case, there are a few practical considerations that will likely reduce the number of photos Meep may need to take from 8000 to 4000 to maybe 1000. That's a feasible number.

First, the simplest way to photograph reverse and obverse of the tickets is together with reverse and obverse of each coin. That has dual benefits - it reduces the number of pics by 50% and it permanently associates the tickets with the coin pictures, solving another dilemma. If one puts the tickets below the coin, one can join obv and rev coin images as usual and the tickets will appear below the image.

Second, as one can see from my pics below, it's almost inconceivable to get close enough in a mobile pic to snap just a single coin. One has to have the camera-phone at a distance from the coins that realistically allows one to photograph multiple coins at once. So, why not set up 4 coins in a row with 4 tickets below, snap them, flip them and snap again. The 8000 photos needed is now just 1000 as you are photographing eight items at once (four coins and four tickets).

Getting a rigid tripod is essential. My Mass. Shiling pics were shot with no tripod, just holding the phone in hand, but add in a tripid and the blurriness disappears.

All this said, assuming the images below are about at the limit of what one can get from a cheap mobile phone, and that Meep owns 2000 coins, why not sell 5 coins out of that 2000 and buy a simple modest camera with a macro function for say $200 and a $20 tripod. All that's been discussed on this thread is great for emergency photography when travelling, but why subject oneself to this agony when one could spend $200 (or swap out a few coins) and just have a regular camera?

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the advice.

I don't see anything wrong with these photos. They look perfectly fine to me. If my niece's iPhone 4 takes photos of that quality, I'd be more than pleased. As I mentioned above, I am not looking to take high-end auction house quality photos.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 05:26:42 pm »

Hi Andrew,

I was planning on doing something like that anyway. Or taking 4 photos of each coin/tags and stitching them together into one photo (if someone teaches me how to do that :)).

Your method may be a bit problematic though. I can think of one problem immediately. While I am willing to take the coins out of their Mylar flips to take the photos, I don't want to take the tags out too. The overwhelming majority of my tags are paper (not cardboard), and it is a hassle trying to get them back in the flips again. It is even more of a struggle than trying to re-insert the coins back into the flips. I prefer 2 pieces of paper to cardboard tags so that I can insert the original cardboard/paper dealer's tag (usually not written in English) between the 2 pieces of paper. I basically make a "sandwich". That way, I preserve a bit of a pedigree. In the future, if my heirs decide to consign my coins to an auction house, the original dealer's tags are with the coins.

But, if I include the tags and coin in the same photo, how do I flatten the flip (which is already bent)?

Meepzorp

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 08:01:36 pm »
Just a relatively brief comment on storage. The flash memory drives some have recommended here are not the most reliable for long term storage. Their long term capacity is unknown (obviously, they are new) but some in the IT world suspect it may not be viable for anything approaching long term. Digital storage is generally problematic in the long term. When the impending development of optical storage (CD’s) was first mooted in New Scientist back in the mid 80’s (I am rearranging my work space and can’t find the original article) it was said that they would be almost indestructible and the data would be safe for at least 100 years. After the technology finally made the market it was found that the data integrity was often no more than 3 years and a single scratch could make it irretrievable – and they are very easy to scratch.

Flash drives are very susceptible to shock and can cease to function if they are not removed correctly from the computer. Hard drives are more reliable - the most reliable commonly available. Of course if you drop one it may break. The recording surface can also be damaged by movement, especially while operating.

Solution? The old adage “don’t put all your eggs in one basket” stands. Keep multiple copies in a variety of devices. I keep a copy of my coin photos and collection database on several hard drives, internal and external. I also keep copies on several flash drives, including a tiny micro SD card on my key ring that comes with me everywhere. There are copies of the photos on my lovely Ipod classic – never leave home without Beethoven and Wagner – and on the micro SD card on my cheap smart phone. I also store them in cyberspace (Microsoft’s Onedrive) and via that have shared them with others from whom they can be retrieved. And, at the risk of seeming even more excessive, I also periodically create a pdf book of the database (images included), and a small csv file, and back them up to various media.

There can be some effort required to keep these variously placed files synchronized but it is a lot simpler than having to replace everything. On the rare occasions that I am at my organizationally best, I manage the task in a matter of minutes. Even if I lost the most updated file in my more frequent periods of slackness, there would be only a small amount of data loss - easily replaced.

If I were to set up my coin photography system and photograph my coins “production line” style, I could replace the images of the nearly 2,500 coins in a week. My database, still incomplete in details after 36 years, I would not live long enough to replace – and without it wouldn’t have a clue what I’ve got.

OK, not so brief, but useful I hope.
Ted
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 10:47:08 pm »
I fully agree that there is no 1000% reliable method for storing photos or any type of digital file for that matter.  Even the most secure and reliable media can be lost or stolen, so the old adage of not putting all one's eggs in one basket absolutely applies.  Even if the media doesn't evolve to the next major advancement, we still have to also be concerned about the format of our files staying readable.  What if .jpg is replaced by some new format down the road?  We can only hope that a conversion will be possible from our current format to whatever they new standard may become.

I used to burn CDs every month as my backup, but I quickly got tired of burning through at least a dozen CDs every month.  That's when I switched to an external drive, and when they became available, to flash drives.  As of my last backup, my files take up about 60GB of storage, and grow by about 1 or 2GB per month.

Flash drives may be a lot more robust than some think. I bought my first one, a 128MB Lexar "JumpDrive" over 10 years ago and it still works.  In addition, I've run at least two of my newer drives through the wash after forgetting to take it out of my pocket. A day or two in a bright warm location and they again functioned fine....might it have shortened their operational life....probably, but as you mentioned......keeping multiple backups on different media or "cloud" locations, and given the worst, hopefully one of them will have survived.

I haven't yet taken the leap of faith to SSD though.  I need to see the technology play out a bit more yet.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 10:08:05 am »
Hi folks,

I would like to thank everyone for giving me advice and educating me about today's technology. :)

As I mentioned above, my knowledge of computers is from the 1980s. That was back in the days when data was stored on audio cassettes and 5 1/4 inch floppy disks (if you could afford a disk drive). And, if you had a computer that had 48K or 64K of RAM, it was considered powerful.

My first computer, an Atari 400, which I got in 1981, came with 16K of RAM. I eventually expanded it to 32K. I stored my data on audio cassettes, using my Atari 410 cassette player/recorder.

My second computer, an Atari 800XL, which I got in 1984, came with 64K of RAM, but you could only use 48K at any one time, because that was all the 6502 microprocessor could handle. The RAM was divided into 4 banks of 16K each, but you could only use 3 of those banks of RAM at any one given time. I stored my data on 5 1/4 inch floppy disks, using my Trak and Indus GT disk drives.

I used those 2 computers all through high school, college, and graduate school. In 1990, I was stricken with my illness. Because of that, I was away from computers for so long (almost 25 years). Now, I am trying to catch up on 25 years' worth of technology.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2015, 10:13:33 am »
Just a relatively brief comment on storage. The flash memory drives some have recommended here are not the most reliable for long term storage. Their long term capacity is unknown (obviously, they are new) but some in the IT world suspect it may not be viable for anything approaching long term. Digital storage is generally problematic in the long term. When the impending development of optical storage (CD’s) was first mooted in New Scientist back in the mid 80’s (I am rearranging my work space and can’t find the original article) it was said that they would be almost indestructible and the data would be safe for at least 100 years. After the technology finally made the market it was found that the data integrity was often no more than 3 years and a single scratch could make it irretrievable – and they are very easy to scratch.

Flash drives are very susceptible to shock and can cease to function if they are not removed correctly from the computer. Hard drives are more reliable - the most reliable commonly available. Of course if you drop one it may break. The recording surface can also be damaged by movement, especially while operating.

Solution? The old adage “don’t put all your eggs in one basket” stands. Keep multiple copies in a variety of devices. I keep a copy of my coin photos and collection database on several hard drives, internal and external. I also keep copies on several flash drives, including a tiny micro SD card on my key ring that comes with me everywhere. There are copies of the photos on my lovely Ipod classic – never leave home without Beethoven and Wagner – and on the micro SD card on my cheap smart phone. I also store them in cyberspace (Microsoft’s Onedrive) and via that have shared them with others from whom they can be retrieved. And, at the risk of seeming even more excessive, I also periodically create a pdf book of the database (images included), and a small csv file, and back them up to various media.

There can be some effort required to keep these variously placed files synchronized but it is a lot simpler than having to replace everything. On the rare occasions that I am at my organizationally best, I manage the task in a matter of minutes. Even if I lost the most updated file in my more frequent periods of slackness, there would be only a small amount of data loss - easily replaced.

If I were to set up my coin photography system and photograph my coins “production line” style, I could replace the images of the nearly 2,500 coins in a week. My database, still incomplete in details after 36 years, I would not live long enough to replace – and without it wouldn’t have a clue what I’ve got.

OK, not so brief, but useful I hope.
Ted

Hi Gilg,

Thanks for the advice.

But, when I read that you store your coin photos on a SD card on your key ring, alarm bells went off in my head. What if someone steals your keys or you lose them? That person will now have photos of all your coins. Isn't that risky?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2015, 10:22:03 am »

Hi Gilg,

I remember that time period (the mid-1980s) quite well. Those were my high school and college years. I also remember when CD's were new technology. And yes, people claimed that they were "indestructible" (as you stated). I remember those quotes very well.

I remember someone claiming back in the mid-to-late 1980s that you could run over a CD with a car, and it would still be in perfect working condition. There would be no loss of data. :) ::)

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 11:11:23 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on April 12, 2015, 05:26:42 pm

Hi Andrew,

I was planning on doing something like that anyway. Or taking 4 photos of each coin/tags and stitching them together into one photo (if someone teaches me how to do that :)).

Your method may be a bit problematic though. I can think of one problem immediately. While I am willing to take the coins out of their Mylar flips to take the photos, I don't want to take the tags out too. The overwhelming majority of my tags are paper (not cardboard), and it is a hassle trying to get them back in the flips again. It is even more of a struggle than trying to re-insert the coins back into the flips. I prefer 2 pieces of paper to cardboard tags so that I can insert the original cardboard/paper dealer's tag (usually not written in English) between the 2 pieces of paper. I basically make a "sandwich". That way, I preserve a bit of a pedigree. In the future, if my heirs decide to consign my coins to an auction house, the original dealer's tags are with the coins.

But, if I include the tags and coin in the same photo, how do I flatten the flip (which is already bent)?

Meepzorp

I think you've really no option except to remove the tickets from the flips for photography. Even if somehow you manage to flatten the flips, I very much doubt that you'll be able to photograph through the mylar. The camera will just reflect of the flips and your photos will just appear to include plastic flips with some indistinct ticket behind them. It'll probably be of so little use to photograph tickets in the flip that I'd likely not bother.

I still strongly advocate buying a real camera with macro function (just about any $200+ model will do). Even if one succeeds taking thousands of photos with an iPhone 4 the results will likely be not so good. The actual camera module within a phone typically costs the manufacturer about $10-20. In a $200 camera you've got $200 worth of camera quality. It'll be much better quality and much easier to use than a phone.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2015, 07:55:38 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on April 12, 2015, 05:26:42 pm

Hi Andrew,

Meepzorp

I think you've really no option except to remove the tickets from the flips for photography. Even if somehow you manage to flatten the flips, I very much doubt that you'll be able to photograph through the mylar. The camera will just reflect of the flips and your photos will just appear to include plastic flips with some indistinct ticket behind them. It'll probably be of so little use to photograph tickets in the flip that I'd likely not bother.

Hi Andrew,

There is no way in hell that I am taking those paper tags out of the Mylar flips. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to remove and re-insert them back into the flips? You want to just bang your head against the wall. And to think of doing that 2,000 times!!! I'll be jumping off the bridge. :)

And that's not even getting into the problem of the flips breaking. Many of my Mylar flips are now 10-15 years old or older. Some have turned brown. And many of them have become very brittle from age. Trying to remove and re-insert the tags may cause many of the flips to break. I may need to replace literally hundreds of them. I recently found this out the hard way because I've been attempting to update many of my tags in anticipation of my impending photos. Some of my dealer tags were sloppy and/or incomplete. About 1-2 weeks ago, I began the process of re-writing many of the tags so that they will look nice and neat for my photos. I'm doing a little at a time. This process will probably take me several weeks. But the problem I'm having is that, when I attempt to remove and re-insert the (now updated and corrected) tags, many of my Mylar flips are breaking because they are so brittle from age. And I've had to replace them. A few dozen flips broke on me already, and I'm nowhere near done re-writing my improper tags. It has gotten so bad that I now need to order more flips because I'm running out. Imagine if I had to do that for all 2,000 of my coins!!!

You can forget about the thought of me taking the tags out of the flips for the photos. That is a non-starter. That thought is dead in the water.

Removing the coins from the flips (for the photos) and then re-inserting them is much less invasive, mainly because I don't have to stick my finger in the flip pocket in order to do that, which is something I must do in order to remove and re-insert the tags. And I have very fat (but short) Italian fingers. You may refer to them as "sausage fingers". That's why so many of my old and brittle Mylar flips are now splitting open and breaking.

Besides, using my niece's iPhone, I've taken photos of my tags through their Mylar flips in the past, and I've posted them in Forum. Just refer to page 1 of my "Can BD penetrate plastic?" thread for examples. Those photos came out fine. The tags are clear and very readable. In fact, the tag photos (through the Mylar) look better than many of the coin photos. So, your "doomsday scenario" (with regard to not seeing the tags through the Mylar flips) probably isn't true.

Meepzorp

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2015, 08:03:38 pm »
Regarding the micro SD card on the key ring - the data is in an encrypted folder requiring a password (a strong one) to access. The tiny card slips into a case with usb connection that is about half an inch square and three sixteenths deep.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 11:27:15 am »
Re getting tags back into flips:

I use a tongs (tweezers, if you are British) which is used by stamp collectors to insert tags into flips.  It has a very rounded edge so there is no chance of damaging anything.  They are fairly inexpensive and probably worth getting.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity