Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Photographing my coins  (Read 17783 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Photographing my coins
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2015, 08:25:37 pm »
Hi folks,

Here's another progress report:

Today, I made it up to my Thrace, Pautalia coins.

And I caught 2 more serious (semi-catastrophic) errors today. A dealer attributed a Thrace, Hadrianopolis coin to Caracalla. It is actually a coin of Commodus. It has a pegasus reverse (Moushmov 2558, from Wildwinds). A different dealer attributed another Thrace, Hadrianopolis coin to Maximinus I. It is actually a coin of Gordian III. It has an ostrich reverse (Moushmov 2630A and Varbanov 3833, from Wildwinds).

I had to re-write (from scratch) about 10-15 tags today. A typical day for me. :-\

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2015, 10:00:32 pm »
If you check again in a few year, you will probably find some of the tags you just wrote are wrong.  To err is human.

I check more references than most dealers because too often on the third or fourth reference I notice something that makes it clear that everything I had done so far was wrong.

Anyone who attributes to a catalog number without actually opening the book will make many mistakes.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2015, 04:02:59 am »
This is an issue with many facets. Whichever stance one takes is likely to provoke entrenched and opposite views. Meepzorp says that he was upset by some of the misattributions. As he is dealing with his own collection he is allowed to be upset or at least a little frustrated, though whether at himself or the original seller or at the situation one gets into with such worn ancient bronzes or some combination isn't clear. As to choice of words, I tend to reserve "catastrophe" for unrecoverable situations such as discovering a coin is fake or on a stolen coins register, having a coin explode in a shower of bronze disease or break into pieces due to crystallization, or dropping a coin onto a restaurant floor and realizing only hours later. Most of these events have happened to me. But choice of adjective is poetic licence and I mentally translated the word to mean "upset" though evidently recoverable. As to the responses, it's all well and good to say Meep might have been a more diligent buyer, or should have updated his records over time. Let me now admit that I've bought plenty of coins over the years with a complete lack of reasonable due diligence, and as for my records, whilst they are in pretty good condition, and regularly revised, I'm perpetually coming across substantial errors in what I've written down, sometimes taken from a dealer description and sometimes due to self induced carelessness. And sometimes these errors actually do matter. I recently bought a very curious overstrike of a tiny bronze on a huge bronze and explained, on Forum, based on the sellers lengthy write up, that it was a 34 BC Ptolemaic overstrike done in Cyprus related to the Donations of Alexandria. In fact it was nothing of the kind but instead an Italian imitative issue overstrike. I estimate I paid four times too much for the coin due to its attribution. Still, as I pretend to be an expert on RR bronzes I'll eat the error, which was actually an inspired guess by the seller, although wrong.

Coming back to Meepzorp's misattributed coins, having considered all the posts in the thread, I think the collector has a right to be as upset or relaxed as he wishes about the organization and writeups of his own collection. Whilst others of us might be more nonchalant about what we'd think of as inevitable or unimportant errors, I actually think that it's good that Meep is sharing his personal reactions to his personal collection organization. It adds richness to our discussions. It's also very good for others to say that they would react differently, for the same reason, so long as it's not in a criticizing mode. For there are no rules about how we manage our own coins. Personally I keep many of mine in a big jam jar which I use as a door-stop. No tags required.

PS: See Rule Number 1.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2015, 04:18:12 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on June 05, 2015, 08:03:16 pm
Personally i take no notice of the sellers obverse or reverse desriptions because i have already done my homework, which entails identifying the coin i´m interseted in before parting with my hard earned cash.  ::)

Hi Arados,

I have 2 things to say about this:

1) In my early years of collecting, I didn't know any better. So, I just trusted the dealers.

2) I didn't have internet access back then. Just about every one of these coins (with catastrophic errors on the tags) were purchased from a mail catalog with a text description only. There were no photos in the catalogs. I didn't see the coins until after I received them. I had absolutely no idea what they looked like. I can't think of any of them where I saw a photo of the coin before I purchased it. They were all purchased from a text description only.

Meepzorp

Well, that partially explains why you were trusting of the dealer tags (ignorance is bliss). But it doesn't explain why it has taken you so long to go through your collection and double check the authenticity or indentification tags before your collection grow in size ?

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2015, 05:09:12 am »
Coming back to Meepzorp's misattributed coins, having considered all the posts in the thread, I think the collector has a right to be as upset or relaxed as he wishes about the organization and writeups of his own collection. Whilst others of us might be more nonchalant about what we'd think of as inevitable or unimportant errors, I actually think that it's good that Meep is sharing his personal reactions to his personal collection organization. It adds richness to our discussions. It's also very good for others to say that they would react differently, for the same reason, so long as it's not in a criticizing mode. For there are no rules about how we manage our own coins. Personally I keep many of mine in a big jam jar which I use as a door-stop. No tags required.

Nobody is denying that Meep´s contribution explaining his lack of due diligence is an important topic to discuss. But doing so, we need to understand that if willing to share personal experiences of collecting on FORUM, then those individual methods will generate questions that require answers. Only then can we educate ourselves or possibly help new collectors not make the same mistakes in the future (although understandably mistakes will be made regardless).

Andrew, that must be one heavy jam jar.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2015, 10:33:49 am »
cat·a·stroph·ic
ˌkadəˈsträfik/
adjective
involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering.
"a catastrophic earthquake"

I doubt this would come under the definition above an inconvenience yet but catastrophic no.

An interesting recent experience of how dealers and collectors are not perfect.

A few years ago I bought a group lot of coins from a well respected auction house and these coins where part of the Seaver collection one one coin in this lot among others  was a sestertius of Nero looked fine to the original owner and looked fine to the auction house and looked fine to me.
I sent it along with other coins to Joe to sell looked fine to him.He got it sold and it just came back to him as graded by NGC as being a fake

So not everyone is perfect and things get missed did it bother me just a little but not enough to really worry about it I actually found it to be rather funny it got missed though it does make me wonder inf NGC got it wrong
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2015, 11:17:33 am »
Picture???
PeteB

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2015, 11:49:42 am »
I'd be willing to bet NGC got it wrong.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2015, 12:24:19 pm »
Here is the forum link I might send it to Sear to verify as I agree I think its likely they got it wrong

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/zoompg.asp?id=83424

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2015, 01:49:54 pm »
Nobody is denying that Meep´s contribution explaining his lack of due diligence is an important topic to discuss. But doing so, we need to understand that if willing to share personal experiences of collecting on FORUM, then those individual methods will generate questions that require answers. Only then can we educate ourselves or possibly help new collectors not make the same mistakes in the future (although understandably mistakes will be made regardless).

Well I agree a discussion is good. On just about everything else, I'm not remotely on the same page as you. I don't agree that Meep has lacked due diligence, in fact the process he is going through is as diligent as possible. I don't think mistakes were made. Bear in mind that Meepzorp's collection consists (so far as I know) of thousands of mostly worn mostly bronze Greek coins. That some among those thousands haven't been carefully examined in a very long time is absolutely normal. That, so far in this saga, only about ten turn out to have been grossly misidentified is probably way less than normal. That Meep is doing a top to bottom review covering decades of collecting is absolutely commendable. That Meep is very upset with these errors sounds like a symptom of diligence and professionalism. The proportion of dealer-induced ID errors sounds normal to me, as does the fact that a much younger Meep in the pre internet era wouldn't have picked up on them. That Meep maybe doesn't have some overarching database that includes photos, which would have enabled these ID errors to be picked up more easily, is what this whole thread is about - photographing his coins which he has lacked the equipment to do so far. On that subject, Meep is going against the technical advice offered by various people (including me) as to how to do the photography (specifically, that a cheap camera will prove much better than even the best phone-cam) but he has commendably offered to return to Forum with early interim results which will hopefully steer the process better.

But above all, the main point for beginners that I personally would want to impress is that there is no obligations or rules regarding record keeping at all in this hobby, rather in contrast there are multiple possible ways to arrange and keep track of ones coins, including memory alone, and that if as a collector you consider exact catalogue references as uninteresting and are satisfied only with knowing the general geographic and historical context of your coins, that's absolutely fine, and not a mistake at all but a matter of considered choice.

The matter of how up to date one's records are is also a practical one. I'm two years behind in photography and decades behind in detailed reviews of the texts of my descriptions in my spreadsheets, which are the equivalent of Meeps tags, since I personally don't write tags AT ALL.

Whilst I was joking about keeping my main collection in a jam jar, I do keep duplicates in a jam jar, and as for my main collection, despite having no tags at all, and sporadically error-ridden and sometimes out of date records, I know every one of my coins, and where each can be found in their trays very well indeed, such that if even two coins switch location in a tray I know this by instinct. Meep of course has different issues, managing far more coins than me, and likely far more bronzes, but at least he HAS tags that need correcting.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2015, 05:33:56 pm »

Well I agree a discussion is good. On just about everything else, I'm not remotely on the same page as you. I don't agree that Meep has lacked due diligence, in fact the process he is going through is as diligent as possible. I don't think mistakes were made. Bear in mind that Meepzorp's collection consists (so far as I know) of thousands of mostly worn mostly bronze Greek coins. That some among those thousands haven't been carefully examined in a very long time is absolutely normal. That, so far in this saga, only about ten turn out to have been grossly misidentified is probably way less than normal. That Meep is doing a top to bottom review covering decades of collecting is absolutely commendable. That Meep is very upset with these errors sounds like a symptom of diligence and professionalism. The proportion of dealer-induced ID errors sounds normal to me, as does the fact that a much younger Meep in the pre internet era wouldn't have picked up on them. That Meep maybe doesn't have some overarching database that includes photos, which would have enabled these ID errors to be picked up more easily, is what this whole thread is about - photographing his coins which he has lacked the equipment to do so far. On that subject, Meep is going against the technical advice offered by various people (including me) as to how to do the photography (specifically, that a cheap camera will prove much better than even the best phone-cam) but he has commendably offered to return to Forum with early interim results which will hopefully steer the process better.

But above all, the main point for beginners that I personally would want to impress is that there is no obligations or rules regarding record keeping at all in this hobby, rather in contrast there are multiple possible ways to arrange and keep track of ones coins, including memory alone, and that if as a collector you consider exact catalogue references as uninteresting and are satisfied only with knowing the general geographic and historical context of your coins, that's absolutely fine, and not a mistake at all but a matter of considered choice.

The matter of how up to date one's records are is also a practical one. I'm two years behind in photography and decades behind in detailed reviews of the texts of my descriptions in my spreadsheets, which are the equivalent of Meeps tags, since I personally don't write tags AT ALL.

Whilst I was joking about keeping my main collection in a jam jar, I do keep duplicates in a jam jar, and as for my main collection, despite having no tags at all, and sporadically error-ridden and sometimes out of date records, I know every one of my coins, and where each can be found in their trays very well indeed, such that if even two coins switch location in a tray I know this by instinct. Meep of course has different issues, managing far more coins than me, and likely far more bronzes, but at least he HAS tags that need correcting.

Sorry for the delay in replying, the Champions League final got in the way and proved to be the epic battle all football fans expected !

My previous post or posts were meant innocently to further these discussions and made in the hope that answers would follow them.

As you would expect, i do not agree with your specific statement (i quote) “ On just about everything else, I'm not remotely on the same page as you”. Confusingly you make out that my input goes deeper than it actually was intended although it was only ventured to further this discussion. I would prefer to say that i may never be on the same page as you but i do try to educate myself by asking relative questions.

Your defence of Meep is commendable but unwarranted, the specific reasoning behind my line of queries was aimed solely at quenching my curiosity and intended just to gain answers where i had difficulty understanding the reasoning behind the purchase of coins without doing the necessary groundwork. Due diligence whether done on receipt of the coin/s decades later is up to the individual and one Meep adequately answered for himself apart from “why wait so long” ?

On reflection, you seem to have answered all those questions for him.

Sorry but your joke about the jam jar door-stop went straight over my head. :-[

Keep up the good work Meep.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2015, 05:44:50 pm »
Arados

That's a generous and thoughtful reply. We probably are on the same page then!

Andrew

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2015, 05:53:48 pm »
Arados

Andrew

Why do I get the feeling that you didn't really mean that. :-\

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2015, 06:11:07 pm »
Arados

Andrew

Why do I get the feeling that you didn't really mean that. :-\

Arados I did mean it. Online apparent disagreements can quickly go up in flames, lacking the eye contact and verbal friendliness that defuse ordinary misunderstandings in face to face discussion. In this case I raised the temperature, in the cause of supporting my friend Meepzorp. Instead of raising it again, you lowered it, in what I felt was a calming message.
Andrew

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2015, 07:10:37 pm »
Due diligence whether done on receipt of the coin/s decades later is up to the individual and one Meep adequately answered for himself apart from “why wait so long” ?

I agree with this and with Andrew's statements.  How we choose to collect and research our coins is as personal to each of us as our backgrounds and upbringing. 

I've been collecting coins for about 40 years.   ::)  I was fortunate to have grown-up in a city with several friendly coin shops and a local coin club where dealers and senior collectors taught me the old numismatist's adage "buy the book before the coin".  I took that adage to heart.  At age 15, when my collecting interest turned to ancients, I did not buy any coins before first purchasing  a volume of Seaby's Roman Silver Coins (soon followed by Roman Coins and Their Values) from my favorite local coin shop.  So, even before the internet, I was able to attribute coins with my first purchases - and I quickly learned to enjoy the attribution process.  If I did not have access from a young age to those brick-and-mortar coin shops and the advice of senior collectors and dealers, my collecting style may have taken years to evolve to that same point. 

While I would advise all new collectors to "buy the book before the coin", I don't fault Meep for the evolution of his own collecting style.  I'm glad he's reached the point where he can spot the attribution mistakes and correct the erroneous dealer tags.  After he gets over this hump mountain of fixing all his tags and photographing his entire collection, I hope he can enjoy the curating process as much as I do!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2015, 09:21:15 pm »
Hi folks,

Here's another progress report:

Today, I finally finished grinding through my Roman Provincial coins, all 8 boxes of them.

My Roman Imperial coin tags (I have 4 boxes) and Roman Provincial coin tags are all done now.

I had previously looked through my Greek (non-Magna Graecia) coins. I have 4 boxes of them. But I didn't give them a thorough going over. I only corrected sloppy tags. I didn't look for errors or missing references. I am now going to look through them again, this time more thoroughly (looking for errors, etc.). I'll probably start tomorrow. Hopefully, that won't take me more than 1-2 weeks. It shouldn't be as grueling or as time-consuming as my Roaman Provincial coins.

I don't think my Roman Republic coin tags (I have 2 boxes) or Magna Graecia coin tags (I have 6 boxes) need much updating/correcting. My Medieval coin tags (I have 3 boxes) may require a little updating/correcting.

Overall, I'd say that I'm about 80% done now. I started 6 weeks ago. So, this entire process of correcting/updating my tags is probably going to take about 2 months.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2015, 09:26:54 pm »
I understand just trusting the dealers back in the day; and having no books or internet.  I could not begin to do this without internet myself.  But once you had internet access, did it never occur to you to check those older coins?  I scope out a coin before I buy it and upon receipt attribute it myself and then check it against the dealers thoughts.  Usually the same, not always, but generally not catastrophic.  You seem a knowledgeable collector but the number of errors you report leave me a bit surprised.  Don't mean to denigrate you in any way, just a bit amazed that you never looked at those coins again.  Bill

Hi Bill,

As I explained above, the coins from my early years of collecting were put away in storage. They weren't very accessible. For well over 10 years, I didn't give them more than a quick glance. This is the first time in many years the I am looking at them closely.

And I just got internet access for the first time in my life a few years ago (less than 3 years ago). I had no way of researching my coins.

The combination of those 2 facts is what created this situation.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2015, 09:31:17 pm »
But once you had internet access, did it never occur to you to check those older coins?

Hi Bill,

I'm doing that now. :) ::)

And, no, I didn't do it in the past few years (after getting internet access) because I knew it would be a daunting process. Look at what I'm going through now. I have about 2,000 ancient coins, possibly more. During the past 6 weeks, I've probably spent about 200-250 hours of my time correcting/updating my tags. And I'm still not done yet.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2015, 09:33:40 pm »
This is an issue with many facets. Whichever stance one takes is likely to provoke entrenched and opposite views. Meepzorp says that he was upset by some of the misattributions. As he is dealing with his own collection he is allowed to be upset or at least a little frustrated, though whether at himself or the original seller or at the situation one gets into with such worn ancient bronzes or some combination isn't clear. As to choice of words, I tend to reserve "catastrophe" for unrecoverable situations such as discovering a coin is fake or on a stolen coins register, having a coin explode in a shower of bronze disease or break into pieces due to crystallization, or dropping a coin onto a restaurant floor and realizing only hours later. Most of these events have happened to me. But choice of adjective is poetic licence and I mentally translated the word to mean "upset" though evidently recoverable. As to the responses, it's all well and good to say Meep might have been a more diligent buyer, or should have updated his records over time. Let me now admit that I've bought plenty of coins over the years with a complete lack of reasonable due diligence, and as for my records, whilst they are in pretty good condition, and regularly revised, I'm perpetually coming across substantial errors in what I've written down, sometimes taken from a dealer description and sometimes due to self induced carelessness. And sometimes these errors actually do matter. I recently bought a very curious overstrike of a tiny bronze on a huge bronze and explained, on Forum, based on the sellers lengthy write up, that it was a 34 BC Ptolemaic overstrike done in Cyprus related to the Donations of Alexandria. In fact it was nothing of the kind but instead an Italian imitative issue overstrike. I estimate I paid four times too much for the coin due to its attribution. Still, as I pretend to be an expert on RR bronzes I'll eat the error, which was actually an inspired guess by the seller, although wrong.

PS: See Rule Number 1.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for defending me. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2015, 09:38:33 pm »
As to choice of words, I tend to reserve "catastrophe" for unrecoverable situations such as discovering a coin is fake or on a stolen coins register, having a coin explode in a shower of bronze disease or break into pieces due to crystallization, or dropping a coin onto a restaurant floor and realizing only hours later. Most of these events have happened to me.

Hi Andrew,

As I explained above, when I use the term "catastrophic", I am not referring to the coin. I am referring to the tag. It is "catastrophic" for me because my existing tag is a total loss. And I must re-write a new tag from scratch, which usually takes me 30-45 minutes per coin, plus research time.

The tag is a "catastrophic loss".

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2015, 09:45:23 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on June 05, 2015, 08:03:16 pm
Personally i take no notice of the sellers obverse or reverse desriptions because i have already done my homework, which entails identifying the coin i´m interseted in before parting with my hard earned cash.  ::)

Hi Arados,

I have 2 things to say about this:

1) In my early years of collecting, I didn't know any better. So, I just trusted the dealers.

2) I didn't have internet access back then. Just about every one of these coins (with catastrophic errors on the tags) were purchased from a mail catalog with a text description only. There were no photos in the catalogs. I didn't see the coins until after I received them. I had absolutely no idea what they looked like. I can't think of any of them where I saw a photo of the coin before I purchased it. They were all purchased from a text description only.

Meepzorp

Well, that partially explains why you were trusting of the dealer tags (ignorance is bliss). But it doesn't explain why it has taken you so long to go through your collection and double check the authenticity or indentification tags before your collection grow in size ?

Hi Arados,

I purchased these coins between 12 and 17 years ago (circa 1998-2003). I haven't looked at them closely in over 10 years. I just got internet access less than 3 years ago, which was a minimum of 9 years after I last looked closely at these coins.

I am doing this process now because I'm preparing my tags for my photos. It wasn't as necessary in the past.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2015, 09:55:15 pm »

Hi Andrew,

Thank you again for defending me. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2015, 09:59:29 pm »
Meepzorp,

I normally do not make a comment along the lines I am about too and I apologize for what I am about to say but I find it offensive that you consider it to be a catastrophe when it is not its an inconvenience yes but a catastrophe no as it makes
light of all the people who deal with a catastrophe every day.

A catastrophe is a plane crash where people loose lives

Or where my sisters husbands mother is diagnosed with a brain tumor that might end her life in the next 12 months. A catastrophic phone call

Or one of my best friends who lost his wife of 30 years to stage 4 cancer and leaving him with 3 daughters to raise. A catastrophic diagnosis

Or the call I got in August 2014 from a friend hiding in a closet as hurricane Charlies a class 5 storm crosses where we live (we left the area he did not )wondering how long this storm will last
and will his family live to see the light of day as he realized he made a catastrophic mistake not leaving.They did survive

Those are catastrophes yours is not

SORRY BUT I HAD TO SAY THIS

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2015, 10:06:58 pm »
Your defence of Meep is commendable but unwarranted, the specific reasoning behind my line of queries was aimed solely at quenching my curiosity and intended just to gain answers where i had difficulty understanding the reasoning behind the purchase of coins without doing the necessary groundwork.

Hi Arados,

How can I possibly do "the necessary groundwork" if the following circumstances were true at that time?:

1) I was young and inexperienced at that time. I was new to the hobby and didn't know what I was doing.

2) I didn't have any numismatic reference books that covered those areas.

3) I didn't have internet access.

4) Just about every one of these coins (with catastrophic errors on the tags) were purchased from a mail catalog with a text description only (no photos).

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2015, 10:36:59 pm »
Meepzorp,

I normally do not make a comment along the lines I am about too and I apologize for what I am about to say but I find it offensive that you consider it to be a catastrophe when it is not its an inconvenience yes but a catastrophe no as it makes
light of all the people who deal with a catastrophe every day.

A catastrophe is a plane crash where people loose lives

Or where my sisters husbands mother is diagnosed with a brain tumor that might end her life in the next 12 months. A catastrophic phone call

Or one of my best friends who lost his wife of 30 years to stage 4 cancer and leaving him with 3 daughters to raise. A catastrophic diagnosis

Or the call I got in August 2014 from a friend hiding in a closet as hurricane Charlies a class 5 storm crosses where we live (we left the area he did not )wondering how long this storm will last
and will his family live to see the light of day as he realized he made a catastrophic mistake not leaving.They did survive

Those are catastrophes yours is not

SORRY BUT I HAD TO SAY THIS

Hi Adrian,

.....Or when someone is stricken with a serious, chronic, "catastrophic", debilitating illness at the age of 22.

Believe me, I know all about "catastrophic illnesses". I've been living through one every day for 25 years. I'm now 47 years old, and I'm still struggling to live a semi-normal life. I shouldn't be alive right now. You have no idea what I've been through, both medically and non-medically. And yes, over the years, sometimes, I thought that dealing with the non-medical aspects of my illness (financial, political, ignorant doctors, ignorant relatives/people, etc.) were worse than dealing with the medical aspects of it.

And those people that you described appear to be much older than I was when they received their "catastrophic diagnosis". At least they got to enjoy most of their lives. I didn't.

Don't lecture me about "catastrophic illnesses/diagnoses".

And don't be so picky about my choice of adjectives. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity