Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reverse types across denominations  (Read 1331 times)

joandcruz

Reverse types across denominations
« on: March 05, 2015, 02:08:42 pm »
Hey everyone,

I've been interested in the way messages differentiate across denominations for some time now, and want to look a little further into it. To get the ball rolling, would anyone happen to know if we can say aurei (of the first two centuries AD, for instance) commonly displayed reverse types of 'their own', that don't (or don't often...) appear on other denominations?

Bit of a deep question, but I'm hoping your greater knowledge of the coins will come to my aid!

Thanks

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Reverse types across denominations
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:00:42 am »
What you need to do is consult the two volumes of the Typenatlas by Franziska Schmidt-Dick.  These two volumes cover every reverse legend and design, in all metals, from Augustus to Aemilian.  (Though only regular coinage, not medallions.)  They are in German but easy to use.  For example you can look up a reverse design from the photo plates and then find the legends it was issued with and in which denominations and in which names.

Volume one covers female figures, volume two male figures.  Hopefully other volumes will cover non-human reverse types and extend the period beyond Aemilian  (AD 253).

You could literally mine these two books for years of research if you want.

They should be available in any big university library or can be bought.  Not cheap but you can buy both for a tenth the cost of an aurei.......

http://hw.oeaw.ac.at/6955-0

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline ddwau

• Consul
Re: Reverse types across denominations
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:51:40 pm »
First posted
by mb9236
August 30, 2013, 09:32:06 am
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=90574.0

All coins are guaranteed for eternity