Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How can I safely, permanently mount coins in a picture frame?  (Read 8802 times)

thomaskrafft

How can I safely, permanently mount coins in a picture frame?
« on: February 21, 2015, 04:37:50 am »
I want to display Biblical coins in the same frame (with glass) as antique lithographs that depict the coin: the Widow's Mite, for example. I want to preserve the coins but also display them. I've seen three or four pins used on irregularly shaped coins, but I wondered what other ways people have seen. I would prefer something classic/museum in style for a timeless look. Any thoughts?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: How can I safely, permanently mount coins in a picture frame?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 06:49:40 am »
You could use four pins.  You would obviously need them to reach all the way up to the covering glass so the coin can't slip out.  If you use pins you need to make sure that they will neither scratch nor otherwise harm the coins.  Nickel plated pins should be fairly safe as they should not react, but over time or with moisture I don't know.  You can also get pins with plastic coating but would need to ensure it is a safe plastic.

Another option is to get a small plastic coin capsule.  A small round capsule made of clear plastic.  The coin goes in and then the two sides fit together.  You could glue the back half to the backing material of your frame.  Then you slip the coin in and put the lid, or front half, on.  The only problem is the coin will rattle around a bit.  That should not damage the coin but might be annoying.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 07:13:49 am »
Gaylord Archival probably has the supplies you need for pin mounting.  I would recommend pins so the coins stay in place with proper orientation.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 07:21:11 am »
Another option is to make custom holders for each coin.  You can use wood and cover it with red velvet, for example, and then glue the holder to the back of the frame.  Almost like an individual square from an abafil tray, useful so the coin's orientation is always correct.  It is more labor intensive but will look nice. Maybe cover the whole background in red velvet?  Unfortunately, there really are no "store bought" options with custom mounting!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 05:54:06 pm »
All the museum displays I have seen with the coins displayed vertically used pins.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 06:56:15 pm »
Hi,
Apologies if this picture is too large as I can't edit on my phone. I have been using gel frames for intaglios. You can get them in all sorts of sizes. I also know one auction house that sends coins out in them. I must stress that I don't know what long term damage that they may do to metal items.
Regards,
Mauseus

Offline JamesC11

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 08:35:43 pm »
If you are mounting smaller coins (not sestertii, for example) on a framed backing of cloth or non-acid paper or composition, glue dots ("Zots" for example), available from most hobby/craft stores, are fine.  They are non-acid, as they are designed to mount paper craft items, photos, and so on.  I tested them on current American silver plated coins--no problem.  I have been using them for about fifteen years in a frame which opens in front, for denarii and similar-sized Romans primarily. but also the follis types of the fourth century.  No slightest signs of ill effects, and the coins continue to tone normally.  The glue dots, of the same material which anchors your new credit cards to paper backing in the mail, are inexpensive and come in different sizes and thicknesses, so that the backing dot is invisible.  You can use them in a vertical frame, though heavier coins may sag out a bit over time.  My frame sits on an easel with a slight backward tilt, and the coins very rarely sag--if one does, you simply press it back down.  If you want to pull a coin out to examine it, you merely rub off the old dot and apply a new one to replace the coin.  Fabric works best as a backing and comes in a color of your choice to highlight the coin colors.  I hope this seems a reasonable option.   Jim

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 10:47:55 pm »
A bit depends on the value, composition, and significance of the coins and prints.  A "biblical" coin such as the mite/prutah is likely a common coin, but a silver shekel is another order of value.  And you can go from there.
   Similarly,  a rare lithograph is worthy of conservation.
    In the format you are describing, there will either be a coin tight against glass or a paper loose in the air. 
    You might want to consider a shadow box format and use pins for the coins and a thin piece of glass or archival mylar over the paper..
    I would be reluctant to use an adhesive, as the portion covered by the adhesive will have a different environment than the exposed portion.  Over time, and certainly with silver, that will have some effect.  If the coins are literally "$5" bronze common types, the adhesive route would not be as threatening. 
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

All coins are guaranteed for eternity