Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fun Time-Machine question....  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Fun Time-Machine question....
« on: January 24, 2010, 08:57:49 am »
If you had a time machine, what specific date in the history of the ancient world would you travel back to and why?

Maybe you would like to stand in the forum and hear Mark Anthony's funeral oration for Caesar? (languge barriers aside of course!) Perhaps you would like to attend the opening of the Colosseum in AD80?

*For argument's sake lets ignore any discrepancies in the alligning of dates and calenders and also, for those who have read "A Sound of Thunder" you cannot change events, you are just there as an inconspicuous observer.*

I think, as the Roman Empire had its fair share of blood shed, I would like to experience a joyful, celebratory day where all aspects of the Empire could be observed at their zenith. Perhaps I would travel to May 26th 107AD, get a good spot on top of a statue in the forum and watch the spectacle of Trajan's Dacian Triumph.

Offline simmurray

• Consul
Re: Fun Time-Machine question....
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:14:57 am »
I would have to say the siege of Alecia with Vercingetorix of the Averni (52BC) and/or Boudica revolt in 61/60BC - both turning points in Roman history.  Prior to Alecia the united Gaul tribes may have had major advantages in numbers but ended up being walled in by the Romans; this ultimately, leading to Caesar crossing the river on his way back to Rome.  Brittiania revolt also seen the united tribes under Boudica of Iceni have major victories over the Romans including the destroying of Londonium and legions.  This may of, even if short term ended the Roman occupation of Briton.

Its always interesting that both these events ended in Roman strategy and engineering winning the day.  Both events seen the Romans get a hammering in non convential raids but in pitch battles and sieges win the day.  I find it interesting because similar raids cost the Romans many men in Germania centuries on.

I would of loved to have been Spartan except I was an ill child and ill children did not fair well in Sparta

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:27:17 pm »
for sight seeing I think I'd tavel to the time of Antoninus Pius. I think many of the sights I'd want to see would have been for for sometime and I'd be able to hear more exciting stories.

I think though, I'd like more to talk with Julius Caesar, Cato, Cicero, Pompey and others of this period.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »
It's difficult to pinpoint it, but if I had something like a TARDIS I might rescue all the scrolls from the library of Alexandria just before Caesar (if it was him) had the place burnt down. They could be concealed somewhere in the desert, if I could find somewhere that I could guarantee wouldn't be disturbed, and then I could go back and 'accidentally' discover them.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

nikos k

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:26:58 pm »
Can i have my camera on board? If yes,back to Rhodes while Chares stand's the Colossus.
I am reading a novel  for a few days now,the theme goes from Rhodes to Alexandria and Massalia.
A great read

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:30:35 pm »
 I like the way you think,Robert! It is the way I dream!
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 02:43:21 pm »
No thieving from the past allowed Robert, especially for your own gain!  ;)

...and before anyone tries it, no bringing back pristine, newly struck coins! That might result in some of them dissapearing from our collections!

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:16:11 pm »
No thieving from the past allowed Robert, especially for your own gain!  ;)

...and before anyone tries it, no bringing back pristine, newly struck coins! That might result in some of them dissapearing from our collections!

We'd only wonder why the patina had been stripped  ;D

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 03:34:05 pm »
Or, to get thounsands of solidus', bring a solar-calculator, and sell it  ;).  Then bury the coins where they will be undisturbed...
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 04:07:53 pm »
I would like to see what exactly happened during the siege of  Masada in 73 AD. Did the defenders really commit suicide as Josephus claims in The Jewish War?

Also, if I may choose another...the opening games of the Colosseum, although I would say that is a tie along with viewing the Pharos of Alexandria.

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 05:47:12 pm »
I'd be far too squeamish to want to witness battles or mass suicides.

I would probaly choose one of the days when legions marched on Rome, so I could both documenet what a Roman army really looked like and was armed like, and also document how the city looked and was laid out etc.  I presume I could have a babelfish, a video camera and a stab-proof vest?

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 09:01:38 pm »
Sight-seeing Vacation!!!  I would take a boat down the Nile from Thebes to Alexandria around 500 B.C.  Thebes, Memphis, Luxor and Giza.  How long could I stay?

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 09:08:39 pm »
I'd pack a lunch though :) dont know how I'd feel about stuffed door mouse

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 01:59:22 am »
I believe I would go back to the middle part of the Roman Republic and there I'd stay.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Maffeo

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 02:23:34 am »
I'm surprised no one has suggested this by now: I'd love to be dropped into Constantine's camp the few days immediately preceding his defeat of Maxentius at the battle of the Milvian Bridge on 28 October 312. Then I'd know what really happened: visions, the sign he had painted on his soldiers' shields, any substance to the accounts presented by his propagandists such as Lactantius and Eusebius?

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 06:14:05 am »
Sight-seeing Vacation!!!  I would take a boat down the Nile from Thebes to Alexandria around 500 B.C.  Thebes, Memphis, Luxor and Giza.  How long could I stay?

And I bet that those hoards of guys jostling to sell souvenirs would still be there!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:41 am »

Or the dreaded "Garum" sauce they put on all and everything!

Commodus, why the Mid Republican era?

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 02:38:03 pm »

For some reason I associate Garum with Worcester Sauce taste wise - must be the fish connection

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 06:41:38 pm »

Although less glamorous and exciting than later eras of Roman history, the mid republican era was a period of high moral, religious, and literary attainment. It also was among the most peaceful and stable of eras in Roman history, overall. It has a great deal of appeal to me for these reasons.

As to garum, Worcestershire sauce is actually about as close as anything we have today.
As I absolutely adore Worcestershire sauce, I suspect I'd have been just fine with the widespread use of garum in the Roman cuisine.

Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:47 pm »
I think I'll have to try some

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 07:33:28 pm »
First Olympic game would be fun!
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41:00 pm »
Not stuffed door mouse.  Fish I catch from the boat.  Wonder if they put Garum on thier fish?

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 11:36:39 pm »
I think they did put it on fish :)

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 11:42:00 pm »
btw great topic and great responses!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 11:51:54 pm »
I'd love to see the spoils of Jerusalem in the Triumph at Rome only because I'd never be able to see it in the Temple in Jerusalem since I'm not a Levite or even a Jew...I'd also love to ask Cestus Gallus why he up and left after the first assault on Jerusalem.

But I think I'd like to follow Antony out on the town one night!  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity