Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Romans preferred fast food?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline GMoneti

• Consul
Re: Ancient Romans preferred fast food?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 02:02:30 pm »
Nice barbeque, though I think it is something more like a brazier, hence the elaborate decoration.   

Here is a picture of a "fast food" shop in Pompeii.  The holes on the counter supposedly contained pots with food and drinks.  I bet the food contained way less calories than today's fast food places.  I would assume (out of the blue) that the average Roman's daily calorie intake was around 1000.  This excludes those Romans who had feasting as their career of course.
Georgi

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 06:20:17 pm »
Remember that at-home cooking for the working classes was as limited as a hot plate in a dorm room, and less convenient or safe.  This was true in Mediterranean villages until very recently, too.  Pat L.

Offline GMoneti

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 07:53:13 pm »
I've read that most people living in the insulae (especially on the upper floors) did not cook in their homes due to fire hazard.  I am not sure if it was forbidden by law, but some did and fires started. 
Georgi

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 12:09:52 pm »
Fast Food I was thinking gazells and antelopes.  OOPS
“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.”
Aesop   Greek slave & fable author (620 BC - 560 BC)

Offline Danille R

• Auxiliary
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 12:33:28 pm »
What do you think Romans preffered to drink? Tea

All coins are guaranteed for eternity