Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

Reminders about our nature.

(1/1)

Ken W2:
The photo below is from Suetonius’ The Lives of the Twelve Caesars. In the context used, “last” means “ultimate.”  I marvel at how frequently modern mankind is reflected in ancient writings. We haven’t changed much in 2000 years and I don’t think we will in another 2000 or more. Just musing on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

SC:
Sadly, I am sure that if you search hard enough you can also find a Roman-era quote to the effect that "you should support any honourees, characterless moron as long as they will then support the policies you want"......

SC

PMah:
Indeed, if one takes a superficial reading of classical literature, one can find support for nearly any position one wishes to assert. 
And if one takes a deep and close reading of classical literature, one can find an understanding of what the people who were able to publish their thoughts wanted to write about 2000+ years ago.

Ken W2:

I reckon so.

Ron C2:
read literally, it almost sounds like the magistrates were implementing something akin to the modern Chinese social credit system to incentivize the Roman mob from becoming unruly. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version