Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

Tips on Attributing Philip II Staters?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Virgil H:
I would also peruse Wildwinds, you might get lucky.

Virgil

Henry S:
I took a look at wildwinds but its really hard to navigate. You need to know a lot about the coin already to successfully find it.

Henry S:

--- Quote from: Altamura on June 25, 2022, 12:01:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: Henry S on June 24, 2022, 08:33:41 pm ---... simply bc most of the Le Rider dies lack pictures. ...
--- End quote ---
If you want to go down to the level of dies you probably have to look into the book of Le Rider (which is to my knowledge not available online :-\).

--- Quote from: Henry S on June 24, 2022, 08:33:41 pm ---... Is there an online resource for SNG ANS or Le Rider Pella II? ...
--- End quote ---
The collection of the ANS is to a large extent online too, SNG ANS 268 is this coin: http://numismatics.org/collection/1944.100.12205
But the ANS collection is also one of the sources of PELLA, so this coin ist in PELLA too.

But SNG 268 looks different than your coin and also different than the coin in your acsearch link (where you should be aware that the descriptions of dealers are not always correct :-\).

So again, for dies you probably have to look into the book :).

--- Quote from: Henry S on June 24, 2022, 08:33:41 pm ---... Based on the position of the horse's front legs I think they're more similar to Pella minted Philip II staters. ...
--- End quote ---
Do you know the exact criteria for the attribution of these coins to one of these mints (I don't)? If not, then this is mere speculation, "more similar" perhaps being a weak argument :-\.

Regards

Altamura

--- End quote ---

LOL so the dealer was wrong. Anything about my coin that stands out to you as being genuine or fake? Would George Sears be able to give me a full attribution & dies report?

Anaximander:
Going back to an older reference, that stater of Philip II would be Müller #59 (in Les Monnaies d'Alexandre le Grand suivi d'un appendice contenant les monnaies de Philippe II et III, Copenhagen, 1885).  More significantly, perhaps, Müller cites the trident as uniquely a device used on the coinage of Amphipolis.

dwarf:
Well, there was a little bit of research on the coinage of Philip since since 1885

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version