Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Antiquities

GREEK TRIO

(1/2) > >>

cicerokid:
Left, Apulian Glaux 4-3rd c BC
Right, Attic Glaux 5-4th c BC

Middle,Attic Black Figure Lekythos; Attic Black Figure Lekythos, ca. 5th Century BC. Stylized conversing figures in the late Attic style. H. 6 3/4" W. 2 5/8" (17 cm x 6.7 cm)..

It seems women had a huge role in Greek burial customs, the lekythos probably held anointing perfumed oil Who drank from the Glaux I cannot find and where in the funeral rites. If anybody knows, please be bothered to tell

cicerokid:
What is the conversation about? Does anyone know anything?  Is it like it's as hot as Hades here.Is there any books on learning about Greek vases, not just for cataloguing but the uses and interpretation of them and the scenes.. What I have found is ..of the such and such skool..tec That really says nothing.

I knew the Glaux was a drinking vessel where I presume watered wine was introduced from a Krater at a funeral, but when where etc...Were women allowed to booze at a greek funeral, they were quiet prominent in earlier parts of the funeral process.
Does any know of photographs of excavated Greek tombs as found...laid out?

I would ask the BM, but they are more than 3/4's up their own fundament and give me a lecture on looting cos they aren't allowed to do it anymore

Jay GT4:
You can try "Mystic Cults in Magna Graecia" edited by Giovanni Casadio and Paricia A. Johnston.  I haven't read it in many years.  It's a collection of papers that deals with the more secretive aspects of ancient religious cults as seen on vases, wall paintings and inscriptions.

Enodia:
"The Greek Way of Death", by Robert Garland.

And here is a list of books from my collection regarding Greek pottery...

https://www.librarything.com/catalog/Enodia&collection=-1&deepsearch=Greek+pottery

I particularly like Jane Henle's "Greek Myths; A Vase Painters Notebook"

~ Peter

cicerokid:
Enodia, thanks for the tips. I have been viewing the "Khan" academy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version