Antiquities Discussion Forums > Ancient Pottery Discussion Forum

pottery

<< < (2/2)

Vladimir B2:
thanks sir

Virgil H:
I am not sure that I will be very helpful, but I grabbed my Athenian Vase Construction: A Potter's Analysis by Toby Schreiber book. I also ran a couple Internet searches. My comments reflect this and what I know about pottery in general.

-the foot of this example is a key to identification. Various pottery items have different types of feet or, in some cases, no feet at all. This item is not large like a typical amphora, but it strikes me as a storage vessel rather than a polished serving piece, although it could be a cup (but see next item). This foot looks like an echinus foot to me, that is a guess from the pictures. The following I have seen with feet like these: Some amphora, some hydria, Deianeira-type Lekythos, Sixth century Lekythos, Oinochoe Shape 10 (maybe).

-The interior looks rough. That could be because of earthen encrustations or it may have been made that way. If it was made rough, it indicates a storage vessel probably with a rather small opening. Finishing these smoothly, especialy inside, was not as important as for a nice serving dish like a kylix.

-Finally, the thing that most puzzles me is the flat side. Pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder if it was made to hang on a wall or something. Usually, or always, pottery would not become flattened like this after it had been fired and completed. It would rather break at that point. I have not found any vessels with flat sides, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. We also don't know what the item looks like all the way to the top.

I am not an expert, but have done some study, so I went ahead and posted this in hopes it might be helpful in some way.

Regards,
Virgil

Vladimir B2:
any opinion is helpful thanks virgil

Ron C2:
Virgil, I don't think there is a flat side.  I think a crescent-shaped break gives the illusion that one side was flat in the photos shot from above the vessel.  I believe the entire vessel to be round in circumference.

Virgil H:
Ron,
Thanks for that comment, you are probably correct and I was seeing it as flat. If it is actually round, that makes things easier. Certainly the rest of the pictures look round.

Regards,
Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version