Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial coin?  (Read 522 times)

Dave S3

Roman Provincial coin?
« on: September 24, 2021, 05:02:09 am »
It is very worn, but I was hoping someone here may have an idea what I am looking at with this coin?

Obverse shows a bearded head, looks Roman, perhaps Lucius Verus maybe.

I have no idea what I am looking at on the reverse.

Coin weighs 11.3g and is 25mm wide.

Any guesses appreciated!

regards
Dave

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Roman Provincial coin?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:08:28 am »

Dave S3

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:30:02 pm »
Hmmn, close. I have had a look through those and similar coins, but don't think it is quite right.

Other than the obverse on mine having a very roman-style head, the other side doesn't quite line up either, in all examples. I was also able to find a similar coin from Oitaioi, but again the imagery doesn't line up well; there is no spear on mine, and while it really does look similar to a jawbone, I think it it likely something else.

I've tried to take a photo with better light, perhaps this shows what I'm trying to explain better than words :)

regards
Dave

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 02:19:01 am »
... there is no spear on mine, and while it really does look similar to a jawbone, I think it it likely something else. ...

Yes, you are right. What I thought to be the spear head also would look into the wrong direction  :-\.

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity