Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID on a small Roman Provincial - Antoninus Pius perhaps  (Read 533 times)

Dave S3

ID on a small Roman Provincial - Antoninus Pius perhaps
« on: September 04, 2021, 09:01:24 am »
I have a small Roman Provincial with I think a portrait of Antonius Pius with an eagle on the reverse.

I think the obverse inscription reads "IMP...ΛNTONIN, the IMP may be wrong, it is only partially on-flan. The reverse is indistinct, but perhaps reads "MCOIOLBΔ".

It weighs 2.6g and is 15mm wide.

Any help much appreciated :)

regards
David

Dave S3

Re: ID on a small Roman Provincial - Antoninus Pius perhaps
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 09:48:57 am »
Thanks DT! I appreciate the tip.

I've searched through Wildwinds, Sixbod and RPC quite a lot for this little coin, but I just jumped back into RPC and the following were as close as I could get:
   https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/3670
   https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/4632

Both are close, with the second slightly closer, as its eagle does not have a wreath in it's beak.  But neither match either side's inscription, so i think we're still a distance from the ID. Might you have any idea which city it is from?  I can't make sense of the inscription "MCOIOLBΔ" or perhaps "OLBΔMCOI" or even "IOLBΔMCO". None of them seem to match Greek cities that I know of (I found a good list here: https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/geo.html).

regards
Dave

Dave S3

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 06:54:23 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions on this coin? Its driving me up the wall, I still haven't found anything that's particularly close. And with the large eagle it is one I particularly like.

regards
Dave

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 08:00:45 am »
Is the first part MCOL for Metropolitan Colonia?

The rest looks like OLB??

There is a similar one on wildwinds for Olba, Cilicia.  Not the exact same but this is possibly a variant??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 08:29:27 am »

Another possibility may be Olbasa, Pisidia.
It used Latin legends under Antoninus Pius.

Pekka K

Dave S3

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 09:16:10 am »
Hmmn its a conundrum! Thanks for the suggestions both.

The Psidia option sure seems possible (with the Latin inscription), I'll go check my books, but I can't find many photos online from there, and none at all for Antoninus Pius.

regards
David

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 06:02:18 pm »
Try Iconium on acsearch for similar reverse legends. Something like  ICONEWN.
Just a guess.
PeteB

All coins are guaranteed for eternity