Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion Forum

Does this Coin Need More Cleaning?

(1/2) > >>

Virgil H:
I am new to cleaning uncleaned coins and am finding that trying to figure out now much to clean is a challenge. This coin pictured below was in pretty good shape to start with. I used distilled water soaks for around three weeks, changing water occasionally, plus a little brushing. Then I soaked for 15 minutes in warm soapy water, rinsed and brushed again and very little working with a toothpick.

The big question is how much more cleaning should I do, if any. I am being as gentle as possible with this. Thanks for any input.

Jay GT4:
I'd say is done.  Looks great as is.

Virgil H:
Thank you. On to the next one.

okidoki:
very nice indeed

SC:
I would want to be able to make out the mint mark.  Maybe you can with the coin in hand, but from the photo you can tell what the first (officina) letter is.

I am assuming it is a [ ]SIS :sunburst: mark.  But the first letter is not clear.

If you can't make it out you could try to clean just that portion by soaking the coin in warm water and then rubbing away at that area with a bamboo skewer (either end - the blunt end would actually probably be better).  Rub in small circular motions while it is still wet, wipe on paper towel, repeat, and you might be able to get just a bit more dirt off that part.

SC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version