Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Longinus's Haimos die  (Read 2443 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Longinus's Haimos die
« on: July 15, 2005, 09:17:03 pm »
Like Septimius and his sons, Macrinus and Diadumenian often have coins sharing a single reverse die.  Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to find another die shared by father and son, previously unrecorded.  The Diadumenian came in today's mail.  Who would have guessed that a simple head for the father would link with a fancy fringed cloak for the son?  Has anyone the Macrinus with a fancier obverse or the son with a plainer one?  If so, could you share an image for die-linking purposes?  This Macrinus obverse is pretty common, that for the boy somewhat scarcer.  I hope the reduced images are still legible.  Pat L.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Re: Longinus's Haimos die
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 02:03:27 am »
Pat,

If you care to take a look through my Diadumenian gallery I think there is a die match to the Diadumenian obverse (with Aeskepios on the reverse) if that is of any interest.  Unfortunately, I haven't yet managed to pick up one of those interesting reverses.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=11089

All the best

-:Bacchus:-

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 03:11:23 am »
Yes, I have one of those, too: double die match.  I only have this obverse die three times, the third one just recognizable because of corrosion compounded by bad cleaning (but certain).  The three reverses are Asklepios, Serapis, and Haimos.  When I got the Serapis two years ago, I wrote, "Neither die located in Pick, AMNG, or Varbanov, so that the acquisition [of a damaged coin] is justified."  That is why I called it a scarce obverse; one can collect a half dozen or so of most of the obverse dies.  The Macrinus Haimos with that obverse die (the same obverse as for his Asklepios and Hygieia, as well as for some ordinary types, such as a Hermes) is scarce but not rare.  But I posted the Diadumenian Haimos because I've never seen another one--and neither had Pick.
You have a beautiful Diadumenian collection.  For five years I have been studying the die links and groupings (sequencing the obverse dies, if possible, by the reverse dies that they share).  As soon as I have even a tentative result, I'll be happy to share it with you prior to publication.  It is astonishing how many dies they used in 14 months!
I certainly shall study your collection, but of course not abuse the privilege!
Patricia Lawrence 
P.S. The Asklepios with the above obverse die that we have also CNG 39, 1996, no. 915; see in Varbanov I, p. 210, no. 2909.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 03:21:43 am »
Pat,

Thank you for the kind words on the collection.  I'm still working on my photography - I think it is improving? - so I may re-do some of the photos at some stage.  If you want a high resolution photo of any of them for study/checking/publication please just let me know (and feel free to use the images as you see fit - that's why I posted them).

I am also still refining some of the references, so that is still a work in progress. 

I have also just spotted an error in one of the photos (I've used the same reverse twice) so I must get that fixed - but it very obvious  :-[

All the best

-:Bacchus:-

All coins are guaranteed for eternity