Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian III Prov. - Moushmov 1670  (Read 1933 times)

seraphic

Gordian III Prov. - Moushmov 1670
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:29:45 am »
Hello,
I have recently purchased this coin from a respected Forvm member. I don't wish to annoy him but I think his attribution of the coin maybe slightly off  ;) I could be wrong.

AE26. 11.68g. Die alignment: 15 degrees.

What was given:

Obv: AVT M ANT  :Greek_Gamma: OP :Greek_Delta: IANOC AV :Greek_Gamma:  - Confronted busts of Gordian and Serapis.
Rev: O :Greek_Delta: HCCEIT :Greek_Omega: N - Nemesis standing left with scales, rod and wheel at foot. "E" to left.

The obverse legend given does not fit.

What I think it may be:

Obv: AVT K M ANT :Greek_Omega: NI  :Greek_Gamma: OP :Greek_Delta: IANOC

Is it Moushmov 1670? If not, what is it? Is it in Varbanov?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Gordian III Prov. - Moushmov 1670
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 01:23:58 pm »
Moushmov references only give the reverse type: the obv legend you quote is just from one particular example.  However if you look at the plates as indicated, your reverse type is shown on plate IX #22 whereas Moushmov 1670 points us to plate IX #33 - so it does not seem to be covered by any of the Moushmov entries.

I suspect the full legend on your obverse is:
ANT K M {below} ANT(omega)NIOC (gamma)OP(delta)IANOC {around}

Steve

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 01:47:56 pm »
It must be one of those, as it's definitely from Odessos.

Moushmov only seems to point to the general types, of which there are illustrations. Some coins with an "illustration reference" can have different details, especially as to the attributes the deity is holding etc.

Personally I'd go for Moushmov 1670
As far as I can see/understand Varbanov lists 5 versions of this coin with 4 different obv legends (translated here into Latin for simplicity)
(B) AYT K M ANT GORDIANOC AVG
(C) AYT K M ANTONIOC GORDIANOC
(E) AYT K MA ANTONIOC GORDIANOC
(H) AYT M ANT GORDIANOC AVG

The legend with just ANTONI in the middle would be Varbanov legend type D and Varbanov does not list a Nemesis coin for this legend.

The ones listed :
3542 (legend B) with (latin type) E in left field
3543 (legend E) ditto
3544 (legend H) ditto
3545 (legend C) with mirror image epsilon somewhere (don't understand a word)
3546 as 3545 but with legend B.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 01:51:57 pm »
     That is a heavily used obv. die at Odessos, appearing for example on no fewer than five coins in Blancon List 41, 2003.  The obv. legend is as Steve says, except in exergue it's AVT K MA.
     AMNG 2353 lists your Nemesis-Aequitas rev. type for Gord. III and Great God at Odessus, but with a variant obv. legend.  A specimen of this coin is illustrated in Dave Surber's Mouchmov translation, under no. 1670, though it's a variant of the coin M. describes.
      Varbanov 3563, Bulgarian ed., however, lists and illustrates a coin from the same dies as yours, stating "Private coll.  Unpublished."
Curtis Clay

seraphic

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 08:19:28 am »
Oh, was there a year given for when it was possibly minted?

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 08:15:07 pm »
I think you should be able to date it to before Gordian's marriage to Tranquillina in AD 241, as it has "the Great God" rather than Tranquillina as the second bust on the obv. So AD 238-241.

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity