Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleopatra / Antony "bronze coin" fake?  (Read 1275 times)

R H

Cleopatra / Antony "bronze coin" fake?
« on: July 04, 2021, 05:11:25 am »
Just bought this and then found out he's on the fake seller list.

Could anyone explain why this is a fake? At least I'll have learned something. If necessary I can take better pictures once it arrives.

Listing states '2.02g'.

Online shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Cleopatra / Antony "bronze coin" fake?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 05:43:57 am »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 09:27:55 am »
The surfaces are quite strange. It may have been struck or pressed on a worn genuine ancient coin with a patina.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 10:32:45 am »
That was my first thought too.  Otherwise it is a very convincing fake patina job.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

R H

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 11:37:05 am »
Thanks all, guess it really doesn't look anything like the real ones (surface looks weirdly sharp and brittle?).

Will add some photos once it arrives. Should I submit it to the fakes list?

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 01:18:53 pm »
He is on the list so I assume that I can add links to his listings, almost all are this very crude Serbian fakes with terrible style.
You can ask yourself if it makes sense that he is offering coins from different times, mints and emperors but all have the same style (so same artist who would have to survive many hundred years and travelling a lot to cut so many dies) and the fabric is wrong they are pressed and the patina is artificial. And of course he is offering extremely rare coins from different ancinet mints and most of them can not be found in the ground in Yugoslavia (because this coins were not circulating there) and he is asking for much  less than market value for such rare and expensive coins and he has many of the same type (but generally not offering them at the same time) and coins from the same type are always from the same pair of dies.
He has some cheap and common coins that could be authentic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cleopatra-VII-of-Egypt-und-und-Mark-Antony-37-31-v-Chr-Bronze-Muenze-/184894126753?hash=item2b0c8c7aa1%3Ag%3A5lMAAOSwWXNgtMGF&nma=true&si=oZ1%252FvUlvMoq6xuLMEBayQQwx2Hs%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/sch/exellentoldgoods/m.html?item=184894126753&hash=item2b0c8c7aa1%3Ag%3A5lMAAOSwWXNgtMGF&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 04:02:31 pm »
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

R H

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 05:53:14 am »
Thanks for the replies, a short update for laughs:

I received the coin and it's an absolutely ridiculous fake:
1. It's really thin and light: < 1mm and ~2g. Very flimsy.
2. The axis is incorrect, it's upside down
3. The patina is different than in the listed picture (it's just brown metal, not green at all)
4. Texture is really weird, almost hardened clay-like

I could have spotted the incorrect axis by looking at the photos, so that's on me.

Was slightly soured by this one and the fake legionary, but did lots of reading and got a couple of real coins in the meantime so all is good.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 02:27:01 pm »
You do know where you can find genuine coins every day, right?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

R H

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 02:11:08 am »
I do :).

Although to be perfectly honest, importing stuff from the US to the EU can be a bit of a pain shipping-wise. Tracked shipping costs + import taxes + handling fees are also pretty rough, especially when ordering single/low cost items.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity