Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID my Ancient Greek or Roman coins  (Read 645 times)

Beth T

Help ID my Ancient Greek or Roman coins
« on: December 26, 2012, 06:07:25 pm »
  [b/]I have two identical, what I believe are ancient Roman or Greek coins. They both weigh approx. 11 grams, and are 49.2 mm or 1 15/16" in size. The obverse is facing right, the man has hair like a lion and his ear isn't showing and he has a very straight nose & his look is not stern.

The reverse has a male sitting sideways to the left on a chair w/his right arm holding a spear and the left arm out - stretched to edge of coin. He has hair that looks long and may have in braids. He is nude from waist up. Wearing a robe waist down to ankles. Just below the center and to far left nearer the edge of coin is an unidentified object. It could be his helmet?

The letters on the reserve vertically on right side are as follows:
 :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Xi: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Delta:
:Greek_Rho: OR   :o:  :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon:

Thank you[/b]

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Help ID my Ancient Greek or Roman coins
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 06:10:00 pm »
The fact they are identical in all aspects is not a good sign. Plus, the weights are off normal.
Both modern forgeries, I am afraid... They imitate issues of Alexander III, the Great.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 06:27:06 pm »
i'm sorry to say i agree with rover.
if these coins were authentic, the they would be half that diameter but 50% heavier.

~ Peter

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 06:31:08 pm »
...if these coins were authentic, the they would be half that diameter but 50% heavier.

...or the same diameter and 4 times heavier... a dekadrachm:evil:

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 06:37:35 pm »
the eternal optimist!  (lol)

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 06:41:58 pm »
the eternal optimist!  (lol)
... a fake deka has to be worth more than a fake tetra? Right?  ;D

Beth T

Help me ID my Greek/Roman coins
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 06:45:16 pm »
[b/]I have two identical, what I believe are ancient Roman or Greek coins. They both weigh approx. 11 grams, and are 49.2 mm or 1 15/16" in size. The obverse is facing right, the man has hair like a lion and his ear isn't showing and he has a very straight nose & his look is not stern.

The reverse has a male sitting sideways to the left on a chair w/his right arm holding a spear and the left arm out - stretched to edge of coin. He has hair that looks long and may have in braids. He is nude from waist up. Wearing a robe waist down to ankles. Just below the center and to far left nearer the edge of coin is an unidentified object. It could be his helmet?

The letters on the reserve vertically on right side are as follows:
:Greek_Lambda::Greek_epsilon::Greek_Xi::Greek_Alpha::Greek_Nu::Greek_Delta::Greek_Rho::Greek_Pi: :Greek_Omicron::Greek_Upsilon:

Sorry to post again. I didn't know how to remove pics that were too large.  After I previewed the 1st time and tried to remove and add smaller pics, it wouldn't let me. Then the pic w/obverse didn't upload. I'm sure it was pilot error.

Forgive me, I am a newbie to your site.

Beth T

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 07:47:28 pm »
I posted a second time with the pictures of both the obverse and reverse.  Would you care to take a look again.

Also,  do you think these are silver or just junk?

Thanks again.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 08:00:00 pm »
at that size and weight, i'm thinking it is plated.

~ Peter

Beth T

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 08:16:10 pm »
I just used my silver acid and it's junk.  Anyone know how they get the patina so dark?  I soaked this in lemon juice and lightly scrubbed with a toothbrush for days to get just enough of the black off, so it wouldn't look like a black blob in a photograph. 

Thank goodness they were free.

Thank you to all of you for your expertise and Happy New Year!   

BTW, what happened to the Mayan Apocalypse?  I'm still waiting.....

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 04:50:35 am »
I have merged the two threads.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity